Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 02:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%
Default How often can I do this workout?

Hi, three gym questions.

I'm being told by assorted friends, that I shouldn't be doing this workout [in my gym log, Hills and Hefting] every other day, that its 'too much'. I haven't been doing it long, but I'm happy with it. Can anyone see a problem?

I'm not really focussing on my legs, cos I reckon my quads, hams and calves get enough work on my cardio days uphill - or do you think this is wrong?

Last question - I noticed somewhere (can't find the post now) that someone said they weren't doing bent over dumbell rows (for your back) anymore cos they thought they were a problem. I do these, what problem do they cause and if you don't do these, what else do you do for your back?

Thanks for any comments and advice,
Jay

[copied workout here, so folk don't have to 'flick' to look what I'm talking about - Jay]

lat pulldowns
1 set 30kg, 3 sets 35kg
triceps
1 set 15kg, 3 sets 20kg
shoulder press
1 set 10kg, 3 sets 15kg
biceps
4 sets 15kg
leg extensions
1 set 20kg, 2 sets 30kg, 1 set 35kg
dumbell rows - back
4 sets 20kg
shoulder flys
1 set 4kg, 3 sets 5 kg
inner thighs
1 set 20kg, 3 sets 25kg
chest press
1 set 20kg, 2 sets 25kg, 1 set 20kg

Last edited by jaykay : Tue, Aug-06-02 at 03:08.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 06:37

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Jay, you shouldn't do that every other day if any part of you is still sore from the last workout. This applies to any workout and not just this one. Rest is when muscles actually grow and working a sore muscle interupts this process, doing you no good, and quite possibly hurting you in the long run.

That being said, I was not aware that DB rows were something to be avoided - if you've got a bad back to beging with I would understand why you'd be leery of any back workout. If you're using proper form, however, they shouldn't pose a problem.

If you'd like some options for more exercises, check this site out. Just click on the muscle group and a list of exercises, with demos, will appear on the left.

Fitsite Exercise Demos

HTH
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 08:33
Registered Member

Plan: Shark Cycle Plan
Stats: 410/323/250
BF:
Progress: 54%

If your intention is to build muscle, unless you are on the juice (steroids), I wouldn't train any bodypart more than twice a week

Nothing wrong with doing dumbbell rows if you are well supported. I did these fairly regularly with 100+ lb dumbbells and never had an issue. Get one dumbbell, put your opposite knee and hand(on the side not being worked) on a bench, and keep your back level and you won't have a problem.

What else can you do? There are 2 parts to back development, width (lats) and thickness. Pull down movements are for lat development, and row movements (dumbbell, barbell, cables, machines) promote thickness. Your gym probably has several types of rowing machines.