Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-01, 15:59

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 200/200/115
BF:
Progress:
Question Big Question

I started the Atkins diet yesterday and I was going pretty good and all excited and then it happend!! I completely pass out today. I believe it was from low blood sugar!! I started feeling really bad and then started seeing black spots and hit the floor. Has anyone ever done this? What can I do to remedy this problem? I really want to do this diet. Please help. I need to get this weight off. Thanks everyone........Karen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-01, 16:26
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Lightbulb

hi Karen, and welcome to our forum.

Hypoglycemia (too low blood sugar) results from having too much insulin ... and you get too much insulin from eating a big dose of sweets or processed white flour, white bread, white rice etc. If you didn't eat any carbs, then a possible explanation is not enough PROTEIN. When you cut out the carbs, you need to eat more protein ... have smaller meals more frequently during the day. And especially important to have protein at breakfast. Keeping a steady supply of protein will keep the blood sugar level steady. It's the sudden drops which cause the problems, and insulin is the only thing that will cause a sudden drop.

Are you drinking lots and lots of water??? Being dehydrated can make your blood pressure very low ... especially since low-carbing and ketosis will make you lose a lot of water in the urine. You must drink at least 64 fl. oz per day, plus 8 additional oz for every 25 lbs you need to lose.

Low potassium levels can cause faintness and weakness. Potassium will be lost in the increased urine as well .. you need to replace it with supplements or by using a salt-substitute product such as NoSalt or NuSalt. But make sure you are well-hydrated first, before adding potassium

I'm sorry you had such an unpleasant experience, and hope you're feeling better now.

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-01, 16:55

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 200/200/115
BF:
Progress:
Default Thanks Doreen

I didn't expect such a quick reponse!! Thanks so much. I really think it was the water or lack of water. I was going to the bathroom all night. I just assumed it was from no sugar. I am ready to start the diet again. This time with lots and lots of water. Thanks again..........Karen
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-01, 17:20

Plan: low carb
Stats: 324/228/180 Female 5feet 6inches
BF:47%
Progress: 67%

Make sure you are eating enough food too. If this is your first time low carbing you probably aren't eating enough. I know when I first started I was light headed and dizzy. I posted my menu to another forum and everyone advised me that I wasn't eating enough food. General rule 8-10x your current body weight. You are going to love this way of life.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-01, 17:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 56%
Smile Welcome Karen

Hi Karen, I just wanted to welcome you and must congratulate you on starting Atkins at the toughest time of the year. You must be very serious on losing weight, and you have a great outlook if your going to start now. WTG!
So sorry to hear that you are passing out, I hope everything works out for you, because Doreen is right, all these things can be the problem, in a few days you will feel wonderful, we all go through some kind of withdrawals!

Good luck and best wishes on your journey!
Take care,
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-01, 17:44

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 164/130/132
BF:
Progress: 106%

Hi Karen!
I felt terrible my 3 rd day on Atkins----- no energy, weak, light-headed (had to sit down a few times and put my head down)
Felt BLAH!
But Day 4 I got up feeling like a million and have felt terrific since!! I hope the same happens for you!!
I think my body just had to go through that transition adjusting to the new WOE. I think alot of changes go on in your body when you totally change the fuel!!
Follow previous suggestions and let us know how things go.
Ellie
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-01, 19:24

Plan: Basic low carb, modified body rx
Stats: 198.5/165/155
BF:?/25%/20%
Progress: 77%

Hi, Karen!

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. In crease your water . Trust me you will know your bathroom very well before long. Hang in there it gets easier. I had already quit caffeine and most sugar when i started so I didn't have the really feel bad days to begin with , but I could sure tell the difference in how good I started feeling. ( a difference of walking up the stairs at work and now running) Good luck to you.EAt! EAT! EAT!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-23-01, 22:40
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 137/122/115
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default 8 to ten times?

Oh man! I thought the general rule was 10 to 12 times body weight... is it really eight to ten?? Cuz i don't want to sabotage myself by eating too much!!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Dec-24-01, 10:57

Plan: low carb
Stats: 324/228/180 Female 5feet 6inches
BF:47%
Progress: 67%

No you are right it is 10 - 12 x. My bad. I stay at about 10.