Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 11:00
Registered Member

Plan: my plan
Stats: 138/134/125 Female 5t.4in
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Skip induction?

I have ten pounds that I am trying to lose. I'm having a very hard time sticking to induction, then I go off and binge on high carb food. Has anyone just gone to lowering carbs without the extremes of induction and been successful in losing some weight? For example can I eat low carb bread and low carb yogurt while keeping the rest induction legal and still lose? I want to make this something that I can stick to forever so I'm not yo-yoing forever!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 11:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/257/155 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 26%

I can't lose eating the low carb substitutes, but there's nothing wrong with doing what you want if it works for you.

I think i'd do induction long enough to get into ketosis though. JMO but that's what converts your body to a fat burning engine.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 11:05

Stats: 180/179.8/130 Female 5'4.75"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Have you read Atkins For Life? It is more for those with less to lose and I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) it decreases your carb intake rather than increase it to find your ACE (can't remember the exact wording that ACE stands for right now but it's the same as CCLL, just a new name).

EDIT: I really need to read this book again, but I also believe you start out eating 40-60 carbs a day. I will be checking on this and reporting back soon.

2nd EDIT: I was right it starts at 60 carbs and increase or decrease to what your body is like.

Atkins Carbohydrate Equilibrium (ACE)

Last edited by adukart : Wed, Apr-14-04 at 12:52.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 12:00
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Yeah, Atkins talks about people that have a hard time getting through induction. I think he has them just continually lower their carbs.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 12:05

Plan: not-so-strict Atkins
Stats: 130/126/110 Female 62 in
BF:
Progress: 20%

I've had no problem losing just by cutting out refined sugars, flours, rice, corn, potatoes, etc. I still have an occasional piece of whole grain toast (slathered with butter or peanut butter) or fruit. I would say I eat between 40-80 carbs a day, but they all come from fruits, veggies, and whole grains. I lose very, very slowly and gradually, but since I don't have much to lose I'm okay with that. I'm sure I'd lose quicker if I were to limit my carbs more, but I would probably also end up binging on junk foods now and then too. Since you don't have much to lose, you could definitely try this approach, as long as you have the patience for it.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 12:25

Stats: 148.5/137/130 Female 64 in
BF:27.2
Progress: 62%

I have a friend who just did the Atkins maintenance phase. She just lowered her carbs to 100 a day. She lost 5 pounds a week for the first 3 weeks. She only had 25 pounds to lose to begin with. Her weight loss has slowed down alot but that is normal with the last ten pounds. She is now talking about just dropping by 5 carbs a week. She is in no hurry to lose so it works fine for her. I guess it is like a reverse Atkins. When she finishes losing she will continue low carbing to maintain.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 12:48
Brown-Eyed Girl

Stats: 260/153/155 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 102%

Everyone is different. With only 10 lbs. to lose, it may work for you.. Then again, it may not.. Good luck.