Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 23:00

Plan: atkins 20-30 carbs
Stats: 164/155/125 Female 61
BF:30%/?/?
Progress: 23%
Question Help! I just got final results from my doc.

Well, I went to the doctor today for my ultrasound results and here goes. It turns out the excrutiating pain I experienced a few weeks ago could be related to these three factors just discovered.1) He says I have calcifications in my spleen (calcium as he calls it)? 2) He says I have a small stone in my left kidney and 3) a cyst in my right kidney.

My question is this. Does anyone know if I should take any precautions do to these findings? The doc says to return in one month to redo the ultrasound on the kidneys. Should I ask to see a urologist? Problem is I suffer from Lupus which is now in remission but I always heard the biggest complication was with the kidneys and now I find out this. Please help. I am so concerned about eating red meat and I dont know if theres anything I can do in regards to altering the atkins in any way. More fiber, less fat, maybe you all know of certain foods I need to avoid. Please anyone that knows I'd appreciate your expertise with advice about kidneys and the spleen.

Thank you so much.
Terry

I forgot to mention that at times in the day I have some back discomfort around the kidneys. I told the doc and he says lets wait a month?!?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 23:49
"Natural Mystic"

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Hi candyapple! I'm so sorry to hear that and I hope everything is resolved soon.

I don't can't answer your questions but I'm bumping it up so one of the moderators or forum memebers who know can help.

Take care
red
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 00:05

Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

Does the doc know you are LCing? I'm sorry I can't tell you much from personal experience but I have always heard that LC won't harm your kidneys. However, if you have existing kidney problems you should not do Atkins. I don't know if there are any provisions or ways to modify Atkins though for this situation.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 00:12

Plan: Hypoallergenic diet
Stats: 117/112/- Female 64"
BF:
Progress:

Hi Candyapple. So sorry about your news, and I wish I could do more for you.

I looked up in my "Nature's Medicines" book under kidney stones (pp. 524-526) and it suggests the following for prevention (not cure of existing stones, mind you--sorry):

TONS of water. Even more than you're probably already drinking. But be careful not to drink more than 20 oz. in a half-hour period (I think it's 20 oz., but you may want to look that up and double-check) to avoid hyponatremia (essentially overdose of water leading to excessive dilution of electrolytes and consequent swelling of the brain--in other words, BAD STUFF).

500-1000mg of magnesium a day (largely for prevention, since magnesium helps to regulate calcium levels in the body).

25-50mg of B6 a day, as an aid to the magnesium.

Limit Vitamin C to no more than 2000mg per day, since excess C can form compounds involved in creating stones.

The article also says to avoid spinach, beans, parsley, tea, and coffee due to their high levels of oxalates (components of kidney stones). And it stresses that you should have a blood test done to determine whether your problem is calcium or maybe some other factor.

I'm no doctor, of course, so use your own discretion with that advice. I really wish I could be of more help. Hang in there, and by all means, if you feel your doctor isn't being diligent enough, get a second opinion. Some doctors have different priorities with various ailments, and kidney stones may just not be very high on your doc's list. I know a month would seem like an awfully long time for me to wait too, and I'd go out and get someone else to take a look at me (but I'm pushy that way with doctors who don't take action when I think they really should ).
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 02:32

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

You should not do Atkins if you have kidney probelms. Cut down the meat intake, increase the veggies and see your doc and find out what he suggests as the way forwards.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 06:10

Stats: 274/190/150 Female 65 inches
BF:

well there is this site which I have book marked to explore further and it has to do with cleansing the body. . . http://www.curezone.com/clark/ I don't know how or if it works. . .but my first step is to go to the Dr and dentist. . .but I am seriously thinking about a parasite cleanse and a liver cleanse. . .redawn
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 06:57

Stats: 264.0/146/139 Female 5' 6
BF:
Progress: 94%

My suggestion is to go to see a urologist immediately. I personally know how painful kidney stones are!!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 07:15
"Princess" of Norway

Plan: Atkins / Lindberg
Stats: 187/169/143 Female 162 cm
BF:Yes
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCFletcher
You should not do Atkins if you have kidney probelms. Cut down the meat intake, increase the veggies and see your doc and find out what he suggests as the way forwards.
Sorry, but that is not quite right Rc Fletcher. There is no reason why she cannot do Atkins with kidney stones. It's those with kidney failure that should be careful with that. This is what the Atkins site say right here : (just click on the link).

There is no evidence to indicate that people who do Atkins suffer a greater frequency of kidney stone attacks than people who follow another dietary regimen. If you have kidney stones, however, you must observe the rule about drinking eight or more glasses of water per day. Continue to see your doctor regularly so that he or she can monitor your condition.

Doesn't all the protein you eat when doing Atkins cause kidney and liver problems?
These are two of the most popular myths perpetuated about Atkins. There are no studies showing that Atkins causes kidney or liver problems in healthy individuals. There are research trials that looked at liver and kidney and heart function, with participants on ketogenic diets similar to the Atkins approach in which no negative effects were observed. Of course patients in kidney failure are extremely restricted in everything they consume, including water, so Atkins would not be appropriate for them.

I hope you get the help you need from your doc Candyapple. Hang in there and don't give up !!

Last edited by Nille : Wed, Feb-18-04 at 07:16.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 12:58

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%

OK, I just looked it up. On pages 107, 120 and 227 Atkins warns that people with SEVERE kidney disease shouldn't do any of the phases of Atkins. I suppose it depends on how you regard stones in one kidney and a cycst on the other.

On a more positive note, in Dr Atkins Vital nutrient Solution, Dr Atkins says:
Combined with magnesiumorthophosphate, B6 cuts down the production of calcium oxalate, the main ingredient of most kidney stones, (any source of magnesium will help). This is just one of the many ways the vitamin (B6 that is) helps the body metabolise minerals correctly.

It look slike vitamin B6 and magnesium are the way foreward!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-04, 00:52

Plan: atkins 20-30 carbs
Stats: 164/155/125 Female 61
BF:30%/?/?
Progress: 23%

Thanks guys I will do just that. I have been feeling letter lately though. I experience a similar pain to the original pain that drove me to the doctor, just a few days back. Later that day I felt some discomfort while urinating but not pain. I noticed there was the tiniest little particle and it was dark yellow in color. I hope that was the stone or part of it at least.

But I will not discontinue my WOL, I have decided though to eat less red meat and more chicken and fish. Also, I will take your advice on the B6 and Magnesium. Even though I think Im getting enough in my multivitamin. I wonder if theres any harm in consuming an extra amount.

Well, thanks to you all again. I appreciate your kindness and concern.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-04, 22:33

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

I have always had a problem with kidney stones and I have had two lithotrypsys to get rid of them (sonic blasting). They are horribly painful and potentially serious. I take magnesium and B-6 and drink tons of water. There are different types of kidney stones so you would want to have a urologist run tests on it if you can find the stone! My doctor and urologist have given me the okay to be on Atkins. My tendency toward them has been no worse and no better with this WOL so onward and forward!

Orchid