Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-03, 18:34

Plan: LC/HF/MP
Stats: 248/220/180 Female 67in
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Does this ever happen to you?

If I even see sweets I get the begginings of a craving. Even when I drive past a donut shop and look at the sign I can feel the stirrings of cravings. I have to turn away from the culpret to get relief. This is the end of my second week in induction and so far I havent cheated once and don't plan on it but I am learning about myself and seeing the things that can trigger me. I must be a real carbahollic. Vonnie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-03, 18:37

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 185/183/160 Female 5'5
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 8%

Those donut shop cravings are deadly! I just keep thinking of those empty calories and huge amounts of sugar in them...then I eat my nuts(macadamias, pumkin....)
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 00:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

I couldn't drive past a Baker's Square without stopping for a piece of their carrot cake.

Now I have myself at a place where even the thought of something that sweet and heavy is DISGUSTING to me...

Yes, I remember the absolute ecstacy of that cake experience!!! I also remember the awful stomach bloating and the horrible guilt I had the next morning. So sorry that I did that to myself when I was really trying to improve my body and my health...

Now, with committment, and patience...and a little LC cheesecake here and there...I'm content with my progress and my new looks...and there ain't no carrot cake in the world that can substitute for that!!

And remember...down the road, when you're at goal...you can treat yourself to something MODERATELY if you want...but by then, you'll probably snub your nose at it!!

BE STRONG!!! Hang in there...
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 08:42
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Yes, I know exactly what you mean. You are going along fine. You have no cravings, you aren't hungry, you are confident that you will never touch sugar again.

Then you walk into Wal-Mart, past their big display of chocolates, and wham!, you've looked! Now you are thinking. Now you are craving (where did that craving come from?). Now you are touching. The adrendaline starts to pump. Now you are buying. Now you are eating. Now you are angry. How did this happen? I didn't even crave the stuff to start out with?!*%^

Well, like you, I've also learned that if I look longer than a quick glimpse (ie. past the time it registers what you are looking at), I am going to lose control. Yes, we have to get ourselves into the habit of breaking contact IMMEDIATELY . I've learned this simple lesson the hard way. "I can look, but don't touch" doesn't work for me. Neither does "I can have just a little bit". For someone with a true sugar addiction, never is never. I have found myself having to really avoid going places or taking different routes just to avoid having to look. But as much as this WOE is about eating the right foods, it's also about behavior modification.

Good for you that it only took you 2 weeks to realize all this about yourself. Your insight will go a very long way.

Wanda
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 09:04

Plan: LC/HF/MP
Stats: 248/220/180 Female 67in
BF:
Progress: 41%

Wanda, Yes, it took only two weeks-this time. I think I finally am really serious about taking off the pounds so this time Im paying more attention to my body. In the past when one of those cravings hit I would start out by buying low carb chocolate or making a low carb dessert. Thias would start me on my way to failure. I would justify what I was doing and eat three or four low carb sweets in a day. It wasent because I was weak it was because I couldnt stop the cravings once I started. This is truly a revelation about myself, but like I said I am finally serious about what works and what dosent work for me. Maybe some day Ill be able to have that one low carb dessert and be satisfied. Vonnie
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 09:30
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Tbagram:

Your problems sound exactly like mine. I've fallen into the same traps before. The low carb treats just turned into cravings for high carb treats.

Many have no problems with them, but if something tastes sweet, artificial or the real thing, the cravings start. I've eliminated all of this stuff. If I want something sweet, I make it with stevia. I make the mock danish recipe with stevia (instead of splenda) and it works fine for me. But the occassional LC sweet treats will have to be for maintenance.

It sucks, I know. But who says life is fair, right?
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 15:41

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%

Eck I'm having a similar problem now cause I just went on a carb binge. I see chocolate and crap and I want to eat it just cause its there..lol

Just stick with it, they usually go away within a few weeks

Last edited by SlimShAdY : Sun, Jan-26-03 at 15:42.