Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-26-07, 20:51

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble
Progress: 71%
Default garlic cloves

does anyone know if you can freeze peeled cloves of garlic? the last time i went to costco, i bought one of the big containers of garlic. problem is, i didn''t use it often enough or fast enough to prevent some of the cloves from going bad. what i'm wondering is if i get another one of the big containers, can i separate the cloves out into smaller bits, freeze them, and just thaw them as i go through them.

this is one of those things i should ask saint alton brown... if only we could get him to join the forum! *sigh*

thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-26-07, 21:55
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

#3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-27-07, 09:57
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I keep using mine until it sprouts. Not sure about your area, but garlic is cheap enough around here that I don't mind just getting a fresh bulb.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-27-07, 10:15

Plan: whatever works!!!
Stats: 210.5/203.9/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Yeah, I got some
Progress: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KvonM
does anyone know if you can freeze peeled cloves of garlic? the last time i went to costco, i bought one of the big containers of garlic. problem is, i didn''t use it often enough or fast enough to prevent some of the cloves from going bad. what i'm wondering is if i get another one of the big containers, can i separate the cloves out into smaller bits, freeze them, and just thaw them as i go through them.

this is one of those things i should ask saint alton brown... if only we could get him to join the forum! *sigh*

thanks guys!

Someone gave my mom a TON of it from their garden and she froze the peeled cloves in a big ziplock bag. it was pretty handy, you just take out what you need. They lasted forever.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-27-07, 18:01
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I got that size once and I thought with the amount I use garlic I would be able to go through it. Boy was I wrong! I throw handfuls of garlic into dishes and I cook daily and I didn't come close to finishing it. Now I just get the smaller containers from whole foods or Safeway.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-28-07, 11:24

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble
Progress: 71%

thanks guys... i love using garlic in just about everything (especially when it's roasted... *drool*) but since my fiance told me to cut back because it was bothering his stomach, i haven't done nearly as much.

kristine -- i do the same thing with the heads from the grocery store, it just seems that the stuff sprouts before i use up the whole head. one of these days if i ever get to a place that has soil and trees instead of sand and cacti, i'll just take the sprouted bulbs and plant them. it's not that it isn't cheap-ish around here, it's just that i don't always remember to pick it up at the store.

myjourney -- no kidding... i thought the same thing and BOY was i wrong. oh well.