Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-18-02, 14:34

Plan: none
Stats: 175/175/150
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Article against LC

http://www.philkaplan.com/diet.html is the article i was reading and im just wondering if I should reconsider starting this WOE, or if I should not worry about it. If there are so many people that believe in this diet, i cant really beleive this information. Please explain this to me!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-18-02, 14:45

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

I don't know where to start however......

Atkin's is NOT a no carb plan. We get our carbohydrates from veggies and fruit.

On a second note..I am not sure where Phil gets his information at however there are no scientific data, research, studies that prove a Low Carb diet damages the kidneys or liver.

More and more medical researches are finding that low carb diets are actually healthier for us in the long run. We do not get fat from eating fat, we get fat from eating too many carbohydrates.

It sounds more like Phil has a chip on his shoulder about something and trying to "prove" his side without the proper research to back him up.

I did move your thread from the exercise forum to research/media to make it easier for people to respond to it
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-18-02, 15:16

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Phils seems to be very adept at mixing lies with the truth to confuse his readers. If these studies that proved LC was dangerous actually existed they would be cited. Beware of anyone trying to sell you on something by attacking the competition.

Nat
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-18-02, 15:24
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

This is a classic sales pitch.

First define low-carb as no-carb, then provide "scientific evidence" by mentioned "a trainer told me blablabla" and finally sell your seminars for miracle diet As he doesn't have a paperpack for $6.99 (like Atkinds) that you can read and judge for yourself the validity of his secret miracle fat burning diet, you'll have to sign up for his seminars. By the time you find out what his gimmick is, it's too late, you already paid through your nose, and it won't matter a bit to him, since he's not willing to discuss or publish his miracle diet.

He's a great salesman.

Wa'il
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-18-02, 17:26

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Phil definitely has a chip on his shoulder. Although, he spends most of the article telling you he doesn't. And his claims about "no-carb" are misleading and mostly untrue. He uses conjecture and lies to try to sell his point of view.

However, if you are concerned that Atkins is too low-carb (definitely NOT no-carb), you might look into other programs such as The Schwarzbein Principle -- my personal fave .

Dr. Schwarzbein does not recommend ketosis and allows a higher intake of carbohydrates. I enjoy the expanded food choices. But her program is also holistic in that she recommends that you do not injest artificial sweeteners (bye-bye desserts) or caffeine (and there go the diet cokes). For me, this was not a problem as my issues were breads, rice and potatoes, now no longer in my food list.

TSP is not a quick-weight-loss program, it's a health program. But if you need to reduce your weight, you probably will, it'll just take a while.

My best advice to you, paczki, is to read the articles and posts here on the forum and to read some more books. The research does not support low-fat dieting and in fact is beginning to support eating plenty of fat, including saturated fat from animal sources. Trans fats are the real health risk. There are lots of reports on this forum that support low-carbing as a way to lose weight, get healthy and maintian a healthy lifestyle.

And yes, exercise is important, but we don't have to be fanatical about it to reap the benefits. I walk 2 miles, five days a week, to the train station each morning. It's currently all the exercise I need or can handle. One of these days I will probably add some weight training, maybe. In the meantime, I am trying HeavyHands exercises as I walk (http://www.energyfirst.com/home/heavyhands.asp). I'm starting slow. Right now I can only do the Pump & Walk for two blocks without weights.

Sorry this has got so long. I hope it helps.

;-Deb
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-22-02, 15:55

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:

"In fact, out of the entire book, one paragraph . . . ONE FRIGGIN PARAGRAPH(!) . . . mentions that people should do resistance training. And . . .that's his new book! The old book . . . the best-seller . . . the diet book that so many Americans are following, makes virtually no mention of exercise! He offers exercise in his "new" book only as a vehicle to resisting the diseases of aging. He makes no mention of lean body mass and its link to metabolism."
WRONG! Dr. Atkins mentions exercise and it's importance 11 times in his new book wtih an entire chapter devoted to it's importance (chapter 22). He does also talk about lean body mass and it's link to metabolism: "Exercise is like a buy two get one free proposition. Not only does it elevate your metabolic rate while you're exercising, but it keeps your calorie-burning meeter cranked up for significant periods after you're through. This means that you continue burning calories at a good clip even though you've stopped moving. Similarly, when you increase your muscle mass you increase the amount of energy that your bdoy expends just to keep it functioning--even at rest." pg. 287 DANDR.
I didn't read through every reference to exercise in the book, but I did find two just at what I looked at that mentioned resistance training, but for those that are too self-conscious to go to the gym or just can't afford a gym membership, just getting off the couch and getting your body moving in some organized exercise has benefit.

If he has armies of people who have achieved better metabolisms, better health, long term weight loss, and lowered cholesterol levels, why can't I find even a single reference in any peer reviewed medical literature.

DUH!! How many medical journals out there are going to be willing to publish evidence that shows what they've been preaching for the last couple of decades is wrong? That one should be a no-brainer! I think he should come take a look through the success stories on this board.

then told him what I've seen with Atkins dieters in their post diet conditions. Residual Weight Gain greater than the weight lost during the diet. INCREASED (not decreased as he claims) LDL (bad cholesterol) levels.

hmmm...if they are "post diet" guess what diet they are now following with such bad results??? Those that follow the Atkins program (I refuse to call it a diet) for life, don't "go off" the diet and gain the weight back. Those that go off ANY diet will gain the weight back with a few pounds besides, just like the man said, once they return to the eating habits that made them fat and unhealthy in the first place.

Another interesting thing I found, when analyzing their food intake, is although they are told by Atkins they don't have to cut calories, in each and every case, I mean without exception . . . they are eating fewer calories than they were before the diet!

Really? Not me. Not a lot of other people here, either. I routinely consume 500 calories a day MORE than I did before I started low carbing...with BETTER results!

Firstly, while butter and cream cheese and sour cream are permitted, you're not allowed to eat potatoes or bread. What in the world will you put the butter, cream cheese, and sour cream on?

Not much creativity in the kitchen there, huh? I may not have a lot of stuff I can put butter, cream cheese and sour cream ON, but I sure can come up with a lot of things to put them IN! LOL

I'm not going to go on with this. This guy is so full of hot air, he could levitate a fleet of helium balloons. No vendetta? Get real! He's cheesed cuz he got into an argument over the details of his infomercial and they got someone else who just happened to support a low carb lifestyle.