Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 15:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/205/180 Female 69 in
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default Not my Dry-Roasted Peanuts!!!!!

Arggh!! Planters Dry-Roasted peanuts have sugar and cornstarch on them!!!!! The carbs aren't too high on them, but what a bummer? Should I ditch them?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 16:07

Stats: 158/134/130 Female 5.7
BF:
Progress: 86%

Yes! Donate them to someone else. String them together for a xmas tree decoration
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 16:17
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Definetly ditch them.

Look in the baking isle for plain peanuts, the reduciton in salt will help with water weight. Or even better get some shell your own kind. The shelling will help with portion control.

There are also roasted salted peanuts out there without cornstarch and sugar (are they coating them in it or what?). Nuts and meats are two things that don't need sugar added and I really wish they would knock it off :P
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 16:40

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I've switched to almonds, especially the smoke flavored kind (I don't have a problem with salt.) The whole little can is only 12 grams of carbs.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 16:58

Plan: Atkins since 5/27/03
Stats: 202/167/150 Female 67.25
BF:
Progress: 67%

I love those almonds but went whole unroasted almonds after I found out that the Blue Diamond ones are flavored with YEAST! While I don't have a big yeast problem, I don't feel it necessary to actually EAT it....
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 19:27

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

I usually buy either "Party" Peanuts or Unsalted Peanuts...and always check the label...since alot of manufacturers add sugar to the things that need it the least. I've found Peanuts, Sunflower Seeds, and even Pork Rinds with added Sugar, Cornstarch, and even MSG. Why they do it is beyond me...since all of these foods taste just damn fine without them. Of course, I've also had Bacon and Deli Meats without the Sugars [and in some cases Nitrates] and think they taste just fine also. Hot Dogs taste just fine without added sugar, yet some brands have as much as 8g of added sugars. I always buy Nathans or Hebrew National [Hot Dogs] because they are the only two I've found with No Added Sugar, though one has a trace amount of Sorbitol and the other a trace amount of Potato Starch, but not enough to worry about. Believe it or not, even Whipped Cream tastes just fine without any added sugar.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 19:37
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Planters unsalted peanuts do not have sugar or cornstarch -- it's the salted ones that have the added carbs. I buy the unsalted peanuts occasionally because I really like them, but they definitely slow my weight loss down. They are fine as an occasional treat -- I find them handy to have with me when I am travelling and the other alternatives might be a lot higher in carbs -- but a lot of people cannot eat them on a daily basis
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 20:36

Stats: 231/172/175 Male 70 inches
BF:30%/19%/17%
Progress: 105%

I love hickory smoked almonds. I do have to watch them as they can slow down my weight loss. But hey, better some of those then a bag of chips...

brobin
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 22:35

Stats: 350/199/180 Male 5'9"
BF:52%/ 18% /10%
Progress: 89%

Wow glad you posted this I ate those as a snack for the last two days and I have had a slight headache those same two days that explains it. Maybe I should look a little closer at the ingredients next time.

Last edited by eric909 : Thu, Dec-04-03 at 22:37.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-03, 05:55

Plan: Protein Power/Paleo
Stats: 188.5/169.5/145 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:way/too/much!
Progress: 44%

Dh and I were taking a class where they provided dinner every week (subs, chips, cookies and sodas!) One week, my friend in charge of the food decided to bring nuts for me. I had about 3 of them and asked dh, "Do these taste sweet?" No, he says, because he's not low-carbing! I went and looked at the container and the next few ingredients after peanuts were various sugars! And the name was just "dry roasted peanuts!" Very misleading, I thought.

But I wouldn't take the chance on eating them---I don't want to start my cravings again!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-03, 06:18

Stats: 268/200/190 Male 5'9
BF:28%/14%/8%
Progress: 87%

Hey! I eat the Kroger Salted Peanuts. They have peanuts, peanut and/or cottonseed oil, and salt on the ingredients list.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-03, 07:13
Contributing Member

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 167/167/145 Female 5 foot 10 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Nuts are my down fall. Once I start eating them, I can't stop, so I try to Far far far away from them.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-03, 07:26

Plan: Atkins Nutritionals
Stats: 226/204/150 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 29%

I have one serving of Peanuts in the shell, they are delicoui!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-03, 09:04
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I eat raw almonds or have a tbsp of raw almond butter (or something almond) a day.

I find that when I eat salted or roasted nuts I have less control over how many I eat but the raw ones are delicious and I can eat 6 or 12 or 24 (no more than 24 a day) and be totally full.

I also like to soak the almonds in water and just pull them a few at a time. I find that when they are soaked in water I usually limit myself to 6 or 12 and when they are right out of the container I tend to eat a few more of them.

Peanuts are no good for me so far... well at least peanut butter it gives me bad cravings.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-03, 11:00
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Peanuts are no good for me so far... well at least peanut butter it gives me bad cravings.

One reason could be that peanuts are not a nut. They are a legume like other beans. You may not be able to handle legumes for a while, they are a higher level on the carb ladder in OWL. Peanut butter also has more carbs then many other nut butters.

I love soy nut butter. It is a developed taste (I hated it at forst) but it really grows on you and is very LC.