Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 15:10
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 142/133/120 Female 5' 5"
BF:22%
Progress: 41%
Unhappy What else is there???

I've been trying to do induction for probably three weeks. For two of three weeks, I was completely strict & followed the plan to a T!!! (Let me insert here that I maybe lost 5 pounds, give or take) Well, I fell off the wagon last Saturday with alcohol, a Big Mac, and some McDonald's fries. Somehow I managed to gain 2 - 3 pounds and it hasn't budged! Sunday I was right back on induction and have remained there since. So feeling like a complete failure at my second attempt with Atkins, does anybody know of another diet plan where I might actually see some results? I know the alcohol, Big Mac & fries were bad but for the extremely strict two weeks before that, I wasn't really seeing anything happen. I guess I am getting frustrated at this point because this diet consumes my life! I have a scale in the kitchen, constantly grocery shop, stress about lunch when I have to go to the hospital to work as opposed to being at home, visit fitday three or four times a day, count carbs, count calories, take vitamins.....ummm.....I think this list is endless. I just need something that isn't so time/life consuming! If this is Atkin's WAY OF LIVING.....I think I'm ready to escape prison now! I really don't know if I can go on like this!!! Can somebody help me PLEASE!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 15:14

Stats: 293/257/155 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Hi

For someone so close to goal weight, 5 lbs in two weeks is incredible. The cheat may take a while to recover from so I'd just be patient and ride it out. It won't take you long at all to get to premaintenance and then you're supposed to slow your loss down drastically.

Good luck to you.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 15:15

Plan: Atkins 72 Version
Stats: 175.5/123.5/115 Female 5'3 I grew an Inch!
BF:??/21%/19-20%
Progress: 86%

I am sorry you are having a tough time. Maybe check out South Beach which is more relaxed.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 15:18

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

South Beach diet is low carb but a lot less restrictive in the beginning stages. Maybe it would be an easier lifestyle to get accustomed to. Other than that if you want to stick with atkins than it IS important that you stick with the plan as it's laid out. At the end of two weeks move to OWL if you are finding it too hard to stay so restricted. By maint phase the only things I can think of that are no-nos are sugar and processed white flour (or products made from processed bleached wheat). I mean 2 things really aren't THAT hard to live without.

Jenn
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 15:19
Registered Member

Stats: 142/133/120 Female 5' 5"
BF:22%
Progress: 41%

Thanks for the quick response!!! I was checking out the South Beach Diet but I need to buy the book to get the full effect. I know on that induction phase, you are allowed nuts, which would probably really help me! I know I am close to goal so maybe that is why it's taking so long! Also, I may need to update my weight on here. I don't think I've changed it since my binge drinking/eating last Saturday.

Thanks again,

Angie
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 15:22

Plan: South Beach-ish
Stats: 170/134/120 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 72%

Hey BonJovi,
I know how you feel. I've gotten better of time (I've been on induction level carbs for almost 2 months) The first month I was OBSESSED and I feel sorry for my fiance having to be around me. What I've found that helped me..Going into the 2nd month, I dont EXACTLY count everything like I use to. The first month I was down, pinpointing every single ounce I put into my mouth. Now, I just estimate and this has lowered the anxiety and the obsession of counting carbs. I'm actually doing better now, ironically, losing wise..now that I'm not counting exacts. Your doing fine and realize since we have very little do lose its going to come off very slow..I Know its hard and we get impatient, but it will come off, dont worry! Your doing fine =)
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 15:28

BF:

I would post on the SBD boards here. Most of the posts I have read say don't bother to buy the book. You can find all the info you need online, plus there have been many revisions I guess since the book came out. Here is a link to get you started. http://www.mizfrogspad.com/south_beach_diet.htm It should have just about everything you need to get started if that's the route you choose to go. In the end the diets (atkins v/s sbd) are basically the same. Atkins just is a faster weight loss I think but sometimes you just have to do what will fit into your daily life. It's not a one size fits all world.

Goodluck!

Jenn
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 15:27

BF:

P.S.-Dont worry about the drinking either. You've got to have a life on this WOE. Hey, it might slow losing down, but eating this way should be something we really enjoy doing! I've come to really enjoy Atkins and I'm really happy. I drink on the weekends, cause I go out with friends/fiance..this is apart of my life. If we have fun wisely (drinking the "friendly" stuff) we shouldnt sike ourself out about it, we should just relax, have a few (or more hehe) and enjoy life! =)
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 15:42

BF:

Oh, and to add. I tried using fitday and it contributed to the obession. Dont get me wrong, I think fitday is wonderful and helps many out sooo much because tracks and keeps us on schedule and I know many people very much need this. But, for me, I was just spending too much time on the computer, using fitday and obessing over my fitday ending calculations. Now, I've also said Bye-Bye to fitday and its helped get my mind of things. I do just fine without it =)
Brittany
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 15:49

BF:

LOL I am so there with you brit. Fitday drives me insane but unfortunately since I am pregnant I HAVE to hit a certain amount of carbs/protein/calories and without using fitday I would never even hit in the ballpark range of my daily goals. One day, fitday will be history though.

Jenn
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 16:10

BF:

Congrads on the new addition Jenn! When is he/she due? I wish you a very happy and healthy pregnancy! Sounds like your doing wonders already monitoring your health like you are which will definitly contribute to a healthy journey =) Once my career is in place, I plan on having children and hope to lead a healthy modified-ofcourse- Atkins lifestlye for the journey like your doing. Congrads to you and your new baby. =)
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 17:10

BF:

Thanks, baby #4 is due early september. I hopefully will get to see if it's a girl or boy on the 4th when I go in for an ultrasound. They think either the dates are off or it's twins.. OH THE JOY> I think doing an atkins pregnancy would be a breeze for those eating meat. It's a little tougher for me though cause I have a really hard time getting my calories up. I really hate trying to bump calories with nutritionally void foods like heavy cream but that's the way it goes.. I just don't see how I will ever or IF I will ever really want to leave the maint phase. I love here hehe. I might just try to stay maint forever and find the highest point that I lose at and let it slowly come off after the baby.

Jenn
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 19:05

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 417/213/117 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 68%

You need to go to the kitchen recipe section and spend some time there. Don't stress about "doing atkins" Just call it low carbing. I don't do atkins per se. I just low carb. It is very simple. Just like ww points. Just a pick a carb points range and go with it. No matter what you want to eat whether it's fries, big mac or whatever you can always find a substitute for it. You have to take the time to look for it though. You said it is too time consuming. You are right it is at first. Of course once you know the recipes you like and you have all the right ingredients in the house it's no big thing but it does take time at first to learn. It will boil down to how bad you really want to get to your goal. If it seems like a long road to hoe for you think about some people out there who have to do this for a really long time to get 200 or so pounds off. Now that is a long time.