Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 11:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 157/155/127
BF:
Progress: 7%
Post After Induction..everyone stalls??

Hi, I'm on day 4 of induction and have lose 7 pounds, just wondering if eveyone stalls after they begin increasing their carbohydrates once they move past induction? I know my weight loss will slow down this week, but the though of no weight loss for a couple weeks saddens me ... thanks for any information out there!!
Sam
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 11:59

Stats: 165/148/148 Male 68
BF:23%/15.3%/15%
Progress: 100%

From my understanding (I'm also still on induction), the answer is sort of yes, sort of no.

Upping your carb intake in 5g intervals is what you do on OWL (ongoing weight loss), after induction. So you <i>will</i> get to a point where weight loss stalls. You then dial back on the carbs until you go below your threshold where weight loss begins again. Once you've obtained the carb level that allows a gradual but steady decline in weight, that's what you stick with for carbs until you reach your target weight.... or something like that.

I also believe it is natural to experience stalls while doing OWL, from what I've read.

Last edited by Coriolis : Mon, Jun-02-03 at 12:00.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 13:49
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Even if you continue on induction past 2 weeks your body will still 'take a break' from losing. Just getting used to the initial weight loss.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 14:09

Stats: 211.2/198/137 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 13%

Everybody is so different when they reach a stall. I have been on this WOE for almost 6 weeks. I lost 8 the first week and 1 next. Guess what? I haven't lost (or gained) a pound since, however I do feel my body is changing for the good and I look like I have shed some fat. I have made no changes to the number of carbohydrates I eat, in fact often I don't hit the 20/day because I love the protein, and take supplements as well since I don't care for a lot of veggies. Anyway, hang in there and realize when a stall occurs, it will eventually pass. Keep coming back to the boards.
Queen Bee
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 14:24

Stats: 180/152/145
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default Stall?

The word stall gets thrown around way too often.
If you go off of induction your weight loss will SLOW. Thats the rule, if you want to you can continue on induction for the length of time that you want to lose weight,as Dr A recommends.
It is a trade off, if you can handle the limits of induction without getting frustrated then you should stick with it.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 14:39

Stats: 222/209/150 Female 5' 6.5"
BF:39%/34.6%/24%
Progress: 18%

"The word stall gets thrown around way too often."

Definitely!

A stall is 6+ weeks with no weight loss and no inches lost. I lose about 5 pounds a month on this plan (or I did when I did Atkins before for 6 months). I only weigh once a month, but it is usual to lose .5 to 1 pound a week after induction, with a little bit of slow down right after induction.

~Shelly
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 14:43
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Not everyone slows down for a bit after Induction, but many do.

Frustrating as it is, it is extremely common for the body to pause for a few weeks after an initial big loss. The shrunken fat cells hang onto extra water for a while to "reassure" themselves you are not going to starve them forever. Once they realise there is food coming in, they will relinquish some of that water and you will begin losing again.

And remember, a true stall is 4 to 6 weeks of no pounds or inches lost.

Of course, that doesn't mean you are going to slow down, Sam. You may well just carry on losing. But if you do slow, all you have to do is stick to the plan, and the weight WILL leave you. I promise!

Rosebud
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 14:48

Stats: 224/185/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 53%

my first time on atkins I lost a whopping 21 pounds the first month! then I didnt lose anything for 2 weeks and got frustrated and gave up.. ( I thought I was stalling) but NOW I know better...

this time around Im not going to make the same mistake and give up if My weight loss slows down, or I dont lose anything for a few weeks.. its just not worth it.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 14:56
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/SBD
Stats: 185/166/130 Female 66
BF:???
Progress: 35%

One of the biggest appeal of Atkins is the lightening-fast weight loss we experience, especially if our metabolic resistance is not very high.

I have lost about 15 lbs in 24 days, while treading between Induction-OWL phases. It's easy to get caught up with this and expect this rate to continue for weeks to come, but in my logical state of mind I know this is neither possible nor desirable. If I continue to lose almost 5 lbs a week, I would have lost 30 lbs in 6 weeks! Now, that is just scary--it's hard even to GAIN that much weight in that short amount of time (although certainly possible), so if a body suffers a worse trauma of losing that much weight in that short amount of time, I cannot think it's good for you.

Having said that though, I'd be very upset if I gained any of this back!!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 15:18

Stats: 157/155/127
BF:
Progress: 7%

Thanks so much for all the reply's!! they really did help. I just have so many questions (about to post another one ) And I'm thankful that ya'll are here to help! Thanks!
Sam