Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-19-02, 10:54
Registered Member

Plan: adkins
Stats: 120/115/110
BF:
Progress: 50%
Unhappy Help! School event dinner all starch!

I have to go to a 6th grade graduation dinner tomorrow night for my son. This is the menu: Lasagna, Salad, bread sticks and dessert. No choices, this is what we all get! So okay, the salad is fine but what do I do with the other food?? And how do I explain why I'm not eating??
Any suggestions? Could I maybe just pull off the noodles and eat the inside?? Geez, I'm afraid this is going to be embarrasing.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-19-02, 11:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Eat something before you go so you will not be hungry and more tempted! I once hear someone say that they were allergic to starchy food.... They would break out in fat! (they wouldn't say the last part out loud!). You could just say that you are watching what you eat, or say that you can't eat any sugars or starches. If someone seems interested than you could explain further if you want. If they don't like your reasons, well that is their problem not yours. You are doing what is best for you!

I had a hard time with this too... what do I say to meetins at work where lunch is provided? I had told them that I was on a special diet and could have to carbs/sugars. They didn't take me seriously - so when everyone else in the meeting was eating pizza, I ran out to Wendy's, got my salad and came back. I do think there were a few people jealous of my salad. Now if I am at an offsite meeting I make sure to have some lowcarb things in my purse for emergiencies: nuts, low-carb bar (not the best, but good in a pinch), maybe some beef jerkey.

If they don't like it, tough, would someone try to force feed a diabetic food that would harm them? No, I don't think most caring people would.

With a little planning and maybe rehearsing... you can do this!!!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-19-02, 11:42
Registered Member

Plan: adkins
Stats: 120/115/110
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Thanks

Great advise, thanks! I just hate that these kind of events always feed the "masses" with such junk. That seems to be the american way...starchy cheap food.
I'm sure I will pull it off and you are right, who cares what anyone else thinks?
Thanks again!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-19-02, 11:59

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Personally, I don't think people are going to notice what you are or are not eating unless you call attention to it. I'd eat some protein at home before I went and then just eat the salad. If someone does happen do ask why I'm not eating the rest, I'd simply reply that I'm watching what I eat and that the lasagne and bread are too fattening for my diet and leave it at that. If you are an adult, you really don't owe anyone an explanation for what you chose or don't choose to put in your mouth. If someone seems interested, tell them whatever you feel comfortable sharing. Have fun and enjoy the dinner! It's unfortunate that cheap starchy foods are the norm for large dinners or fundraisers, but the people who put them on have budgets and healthy foods are more expensive than bread and pasta. I'm going to a church potluck tonight, so I'm bringing something that I know my DH and I can have and if everyone else is horrified at the thought of chicken thighs wrapped in bacon and covered in mushroom cheese sauce, that's their problem (more for me! LOL).

Last edited by Lisa N : Sun, May-19-02 at 12:06.