Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 09:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/153.5/120
BF:29
Progress: 16%
Unhappy Gained back weight already??!!??

I don't get it!!!! It's only Day 11 of Induction!!!!!!!

I was down to 153.5 two days ago (mid TOM), and since then I've gone back to 156. I'm still in ketosis, I was at a lighter purple for a day 2 days ago, incidentally, when I ate some of the skin off a fried chicken breast. Doh!! Other than this amateur mistake, I'm following the rules, I'm exercising (though it's never been so hard, and I can't do near what I could pre-Atkins yet-- I run).

Plus I have had heart palpitations for the past 3 or 4 days, not sure whether this is from Splenda? Sudden lack of a pot of coffee a day? More protein? Drastic reduction in carbs????? Help!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 09:39

Stats: 240/234/180
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Are you getting your 20 grams of carbs?

I've noticed when I try Induction that I end up eating NO carbs, not really meaning to, it just happens, and I end up feeling like crap. If I remember to eath the 20 a day, then I feel a lot better.

I'm so sorry this is so hard for you. It's one of my minor fears/annoyances with this board that when folks don't seem to be getting results on a low-carb diet, their post often goes completely un-commented on. It makes me a little nervous sometimes, like are we sure this is the right thing to do?

I know I feel better when I eat low-carb, but eating at Induction levels makes me feel similar to how you're feeling, though not quite as bad. When I was losing best was when I was doing Protein Power, which I may switch back to here in a few days.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 09:41
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

There is noting wrong with eating the skin, unless it is coated in flour and/or sugar. Skin is good for you in that it has fat. You might be retaining more water or have built muscle up. Grab the tape measure. Are you eating enough fat and calories? If your calories have dropepd to low the heart racing and light headedness could be your body reacting. Your TOM may of thrown things out of whack as wlel. Keep at it, cut out Asperteme, bars, and anything that could be stalling you

Try starting a fitday journal, or posting a menu here so people can see what your having and be able to help. The fitday will also help you make sure your getting cals/fat and nutrician.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 09:52
SanePsychoSuprGodess

Stats: 205/191/115 Female 5' 1"
BF:46%/41%/20%

First thing -- on this WOE you are allowed to eat the chicken skin -- in fact (as long as it is not breaded) it is better if you eat the skin because the fat will help you lose more weight.

Now, I will try to reassure you that your weight will swing up and down to a certain degree each day. Water weight, salt intake, 'regularity (ahem...), how close your TOM is, etc. will all impact the weight. In my experience, I have had this weight loss pattern:

new low , up two pounds, down one, up one, back to low, up one, down three to a new low , up one, down one, up one, down two to a new low, down two to a new low, up four, down two, down one, etc.

I keep track of the new lows -- which keep getting lower! Some people on this board wiegh every day and then keep track of their weekly AVERAGE weights to account for the normal variance of our body weight.

Your weight swing seems pretty normal to me -- don't give up.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 10:01

Stats: 236/186/190 Male 72 inches
BF:21
Progress: 109%

Hi,
I can address the issue of heart palpitations. If they are the benign (harmless) type of PVC's, which are most common and feel like a missed beat, an increase in them can indicate that your body is at a threshold of some sort. This usually happens to me with too much caffeine, but never from a lack of it. Mental stress is the biggest cause for me. The diuretic effect of Atkins and the loss of electrolytes also cause mine to flare up. Taking additional potassium (99mg)/day and calcium/magnesium supplements have almost eliminated mine. I have also found Taurine, an amino acid to be helpful. Drinking a ton of water a day is required with this WOE, but please realize that this will also deplete the body of needed minerals that must be replaced if they are not in the food you are eating.
Best,
T.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 16:43
Registered Member

Thanks guys. I'll take heart that the process will work and will hve some peaks and valleys. I got some potassium just now, so we'll see how that goes. I think also that I am not getting enough calories daily, I'd love it if you could all take a look and give me your thoughts. How do I post my FitDay journal here? Just link it? Don't I have to make it public somehow?

Also, sadly, the chicken was indeed dipped in a very thin flour batter, which was so thin that I didn't realise it. *slaps hand to forehead, shakes head slowly bakc and forth*
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 16:54

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 193/167/150 Female 5'10?
BF:
Progress: 60%

Hi, on my 3rd day of TOM I also gained 2 lbs. Today 4th day and down 1 lb . hope tomorrow will be better . Cindy And about the fitday link , click on Home (the upper left corner ) on fitday , go down to your link ,then copy and paste it. What I want to know is how everyone puts MY FITDAY or Cindys Fitday.How can it be changed.? This is how mine looks..

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/Public...?Owner=cincin11
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 16:56
Resident Loud Mouth

BF:

a href = "http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/Publicjournals.html?Owner=chanac"> My fitday Journal </a

Put <> on either side of this to get code not text
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 16:57
Resident Loud Mouth

BF:

there should of been /a at rhe end of that
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 17:25
Registered Member

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/Public...tml?Owner=sirje

And I am still updating today's entries. I don't always enter the excercise I get because it never computes the same calories that the treadmill tells me I am burning, plus I am quite active during the day, I live in NYC and walk a LOT.

TES, how much potassium is generally recommended to right the palpitations? I took a double dose about a half hour ago- no difference yet.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 20:30

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 257/239/220 Female 5ft. 7 1/2in.
BF:
Progress: 49%
Smile SibliSabli

I had trouble with palpitations too- I also take potassium but take over the counter ones--What really calmed my palpitations down was magnesium and I take about 900-1000 mg but start out with a smaller dose maybe 400mg. You can always increase it. I read that magnesium helps keep calcium in your bones. I have osteoporosis and that is why I take such a high dose. What might help is go to a health food store and see what is recommended . I bought a book about vitamin/minerals and problems by a doctor at our health food store and it tells dosages etc. Take it easy. Aleka
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 06:25

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 193/167/150 Female 5'10?
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default Thanks Ladybelle for trying

Ladybelle , I give up . Thanks anyway, I can't figure it out. I got it to say My fitday . but it didn't link to my fitday... Oh, well. Maybe I will try later.

Last edited by cincin11 : Thu, Jun-05-03 at 06:36.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 09:26
Resident Loud Mouth

BF:

First, have you made your fitday journal public? I'm sure you have because of the link working. keep the a href tags, but for the url make sure to put yours in

a href = "http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/Public...tml?Owner=sirje" My fitday journal /a
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 07:34
Registered Member

did anyone have a chance to look at my fitday? still in ketosis, still have palps (though less so? i hope?) and still at 155.