Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-28-01, 07:27
Registered Member

Plan: Calorie control
Stats: 169/150/140 Female 5 ft. 6 in.
BF:
Progress: 66%
Unhappy

Those 4 pounds that I was so proud of yesterday are back today. ...sigh.

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-28-01, 07:43
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

This sounds more like water retention, it's quite difficult to gain 4 lbs overnight. A couple of pound fluctuation is quite normal though and there are a few factors involved check doreen's article for more details.

It's better not to get obsessed with daily weigh-ins, and do it once a week along with measurements.

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-28-01, 07:47

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Deb, I think it is the revenge of the bathroom scales this morning. 3 of mine came back over night.

*ponders how you can gain while sleeping*

I think I am going to buy a new scale today....the one I have is wierd. Depending on where you stand on it, the weight changes. I am either at the same I was yesterday or gained between 3 and 5 pounds.

#4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-28-01, 08:02
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Ok, I'm trying to write an essay on gallstones, but I just had to jump in here.

Deb, listen to Wa'il. It's normal, I repeat NORMAL for weight to fluctuate from day to day. Anything from fluid retention to constipation can make the number on the scale go up, but it does not mean you've gained back 4 lbs of FAT overnight. And yes, if you're using a spring-type scale, they could be inaccurate.

I know you mentioned that your clothes don't feel any different, but have you actually used a measuring tape, and wrote the numbers down?? Measure everywhere, neck, arm, thigh, calf, waist, bust, under-bust .... the waistband on your pants may still feel snug because you are bloated with fluid or maybe gas or constipated ...... yet your hips and arms have lost inches of fat.

In Protein Power, the Eades describe how some people do actually GAIN lbs in the first few weeks, but what they're gaining is lean muscle mass. They're losing fat, but because after years of eating lowFAT, highCARB breads and pasta etc, and not nearly enough meat and protein, their muscles are gaining tissue just by virtue of FINALLY getting adequate protein every day! The thing is, a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat. So the scales show a net GAIN, but in reality, inches of fat have been lost.

Do take your measurements, and see if there's a difference.

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-28-01, 09:03
Registered Member

Plan: Calorie control
Stats: 169/150/140 Female 5 ft. 6 in.
BF:
Progress: 66%

Hi All:

I won't post anymore about weight loss until it's off for a week or more. No use making myself crazy with false information.

I'll give the diet two more weeks...that will make 4 weeks.

#6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-28-01, 09:38
lizzy38

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default re: weight loss

Hi Deb:

Don't weight yourselve alot as you will get dissapointed then.
When you do weight yourselve do it at the same time in the morning. I sometimes don't weigh my self for two weeks. I am keeping a measurement data in my journal along with what I eat and I find that I have lost more inches than pounds. I do quite a bit of walking with my dogs. We are all made up differently and I find that weight and measurement are quite different with everyone. For instance I can weight more than others and be the same measurement, and I presume that is because of muscle. By the way you may lose inches in places where you don't expect like my waist didn't lose first but I lost in my hips, stomach and chest and here I was looking for waist and also my thighs. This morning I measured and the other places are coming along to. This woe is something you have to have patience with and just keep going at it. Give it it more than four weeks will you, take it from me as no one yet knows including my numberone daughter that I had a bit of a time getting into this but still persevered. I did cheat the odd time but still kept going. Don't foget to take a good multi vitamin. I take a super multi vitamin along with calcium magnesium, glucosamine sulfate, vitamin d to help absorb the calcium, and also vitamin e, c, d complex, folic acid and potassium. Just lately I bought some korean red ginseng.
By the way Deb you don't mention if you do any exercise as I feel that goes hand in hand with this woe. I'm not sure but I think I'm the oldest one here on the forum and I say stick with it it will work but be honest with yourselve on what your eating and remember lots of water. I know you can do it.

Lizzy
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-28-01, 13:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

Well said Mom (lizzy38),

Deb,

One must just relax and look at this as a change of life as things do not happen over night. Although most of us have lost in the two weeks.... some don't, but will if they just give it time and of course don't forget the inches.

My last weight loss was 4 lbs and sure enough I posted it all excited. The next day I stupidly got on the scales because of the excitment I felt, and sure enough 2 lbs came back! I kept quiet thinking, ok, I didn't do anything different, lets see what happens at the end of the week. Sure enough my 2lbs I gained had left once again, and this time for good!

Lesson to be learned as many have already said here.....Don't be jumping on the scales every morning/evening. I now go on them once a week. I have faith that everything in time will work its way outta me! Took six years to gain all this stuff, I'm sure it isn't going to take a couple of months to lose it!

Be patient Deb, don't give in.

Wendy

Oh and excercise (see, can't spell the word...LOL)...well, as Mother and others know here....me not very good at that one. In fact, I'm so bad at that, I have trouble spelling the word! Honest!!! LOL

Last edited by numberonewendy : Sat, Apr-28-01 at 21:41.