Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-03, 06:11
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 154/154/135
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default blood sugar crashes

Hello Everyone,

I'm excited to be doing CAD again after failing on SB (probably due to too many carbs). Anyway, my question is: I have blood sugar drops in between meals. How can I follow CAD when you are only allowed 3 meals and perhaps one cm snack? I really want to do this program but my bs drops and I have to eat something. Help!

Thanks,
Grandma
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-03, 10:10

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 191/189/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Oh, dear, yes!
Progress: 5%

Hi Grandma,

I'm a hypoglycemic, and have a better time of it on CALP. However, I found that after a few days on CAD, my blood sugar leveled off. I see that you don't have a journal. Maybe if you started a journal and posted your meals, someone could spot a problem.

The whole mechanism of this WOE depends on lowering your insulin production (my pancreas is an overachiever). The less insulin, the less fat storage and the better your blood sugar (unless you're a Type 1 diabetic). It's important to make sure that you don't have a hidden sugar in your CM meals/snack. The sources of hidden sugar are pretty amazing. My favorite is yogurt -- you think of the protein content as making it a good food, but the lactose sugar content is higher than the protein. Also, sandwich and other processed meats have sugar added (and often nitrates/nitrites, also not good for you), as well as many salad dressings.

There is a quick link to the right of this post called "Hidden Carbs Inspector" which can help.

Some days, my blood sugar dips between meals, so I have a high-protein snack -- e.g., canned tuna, leftover meat, hardboiled egg. This helps greatly, and I don't gain weight from it. It can slow some people down, but it's better to be healthy and feel good.

Sometimes, just changing your WOE can create havoc with your blood sugar. Give it a little time, but also be good to yourself. Don't endanger your health and well-being -- if you get a hypoglycemic attack, treat it appropriately with high protein. You should be fine.

Hope this helps.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-03, 20:23
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

If you strictly follow the low carb rules at you complimentary meals, you'll find your blood sugar stays stable. A problem I found is sensitivity to sweeteners.. in the later books the Hellers say that some people experience the same reaction to them, insulin-wise as sugar!

Frequent snacking, even on low-carb foods can cause a carb addict's insulin levels to roller-coaster all day, building to real problems late in the day.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 05:41

Plan: Shangri-La Diet
Stats: 316/217.5/154 Female 67"
BF:60/36/24
Progress: 61%

I was having blood sugar problems and extreme hunger. when I was eating too many carbs. I think it will level off. And, if you need to eat, eat. Just make sure it is a CM or CS. The CALP book doesn't restrict eating. It says to eat when you are hungry until you are satisfied.

One idea for something to make up could be a pot of soup with some meat, like chicken along with lots of LC veggies, like cabbages, celery, whatever tastes good to you. Whenever you get hungry, ladle out a bowl. It will do exactly what you need it to. give you an easy source for a CM or a CS.

I do find that Equal (Nutrasweet/aspartame) trigger strong sugar cravings for me. I also find that I get hunger cravings from MSG.