Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 20:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 287/240/140
BF:
Progress: 32%
Question I'm worried! - Has Atkins given me heart disease?

I am a little worried here. I have been following Atkins since Sept.10, I am eating enough amount of protein, not feeling hungry at all... that's one of the things I love about Atkins, not feeling hunger. I am happy about my weight loss so far.

The thing is, during the last 2 days while exercising at the gym I felt dizzy and needed to slow down my pace (I always used to go to a certain same pace) and while taking my shower yesterday at the gym I had to get out of it I thought I was going to faint. I am always eating a big breakfast before going to the gym, so it is not a lack of food intake. I also feel very weak from time to time.

Why is that? Am I eating too much fat? Is my body craving carbs so bad that I am ready to pass out? Is it sign of a heart disease? As far as my medical history, my cholesterol and blood-pressure are normal. I am physically healthy (so I thought!). Is Atkins making me sick in some way? What can be happening?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 21:29

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%

How many carbs are you eating a day?

And what do you mean by "big breakfast" like what do you eat exactly? You shouldn't eat too much that you feel full and bloated before exercising...That would make you feel like hell right there...

As for only being on Atkins since September 10th. No it's not heart disease, it's just carb withdrawl symptoms. Which is normal for the first 2 weeks.

But you should tell us what a typical day of eating is so we could be able to help ya more...
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 00:23
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%
Smile

Hi there Musika,

Relax, you're doing just fine. No whiff of heart disease.

Are you taking any supplements? Because faintness and dizziness are classic signs of low potassium.

When we begin low carbing, we have a natural diuresis (lose more water) and this diuresis tends to remove potassium with it. Supplementing with potassium will quickly remove that awful dizziness.
You can either buy potassium tablets - usually about 100mg - at either a pharmacy or health food shop, or you can use a potassium salt such as Nu Salt or No Salt. Just sprinkle generously over your food.
You'll need about 400mg a day at first, whether or not you use the tablets or the salt. In a few weeks you'll be able to gradually reduce the dose to about 100mg a day.
Just make sure you take the potassium with food, as it can upset your stomach otherwise.

Rosebud
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 05:08

Stats: 159/145/135
BF:
Progress: 58%

Hello Musika.

As the others said no need to worry about a heart disease. Are you sure you are drinking enough water? Make sure you bring a bottle to the gym, and drink it once in a while.

Good luck
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 15:36
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:

Hi Musika! Don't panic: chances are either your potassium is low, or your blood pressure is. I get those symptoms, too. I've had a few showers I've had to cut short. It helps if I try not to make the water too hot.

Do you use fitday.com? You can go to the "reports" page to see how much potassium you're getting. If it's under 1000 mg per day, that's pretty low. You'll probably want to start supplimenting (as long as you're not on any heart/blood pressure meds... check with a pharmacist first.)
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 15:53
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Lightbulb

hi Musika,

I'll second what the others have said, especially SooCee's recommendation on the WATER. Your symptoms sound like classic dehydration. Make sure you're well-hydrated before adding extra suppelements, especially potassium. Taking potassium when you're dehydrated is as bad as not having enough of it in your system

The recommendation is that you should drink 1 cup (240 ml) water for every 15 minutes of vigorous exercise ... or 1 quart/liter per hour.

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Doreen
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 15:59

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Are you taking your supplements ?

I used to get those weak spells too. Like a windup toy that's just about to stop.

I started taking some supplements, multi-vitamin, vitamin E, Calcium/Magnesius/Potassium and some EFA's

At the same time someone suggested I take some alpha-lipoic acid (ALA), I realized that the EFA supplement I took contained a lot.

Well I haven't felt weak since then. So I'm hoping I found the answer.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 19:49

Stats: 287/240/140
BF:
Post Thanks for your replies

I want to thank you all for your replies. I am new to lowcarbs... so I needed some advice.

I try to keep my carb intake to 20mg.... I never go under, I am having difficulties not to go overboard... so that goes to tell you I am not cutting on carbs too much.

I was not taking any supplements, I kept postponing the day I would start taking them. So, I am starting today! Looking at mine, I noticed I am taking only 65mg of potassium, looks like it is not enough

Since you all have more experience than I do, can you tell me what vitamins and minerals deficiencies that lowcarbs eating brings?.... so that I can adjust my supplements accordingly.

As for the WATER, I would tend to agree I am not drinking enough. I will make the effort to drink more so that I don't experience dizzyness again. Also, I will start to wear again my heart rate monitor to the gym to keep an eye on my body signals. (For your info... for exercising I do 45min of elliptical machine at the gym every day... burning an average of 625 cal daily)

Thanks again for your input and am looking forward to this message board for support

Last edited by Musika : Mon, Sep-23-02 at 20:14.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 07:33

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:

Today is the day that you increase your carbs to 25 grams daily. Induction is over and withdrawal symptoms should subside and disappear. The extra carbs will help with the dizziness.

You have lost 25 pounds in 2 weeks! WOW! Now be prepared that you may not lose more than a pound or two in the next few weeks. That is normal and what should be expected. If you stay with the plan as your body adjusts to the loss, you WILL start losing again (but never at the rate of the Induction whoosh).

Atkins really does not lead to mineral or vitamin deficiencies. In one of the earliest LC experiments in the 1930's, 2 Arctic explorers lived for one whole year on just meat. There diet was monitored by Bellevue Hospital in New York and they were fine. The body can actually manufacture Vitamin C from fresh meat. (Old time sailors used to get scurvy because their meat was salted and preserved, not freshly butchered.)

But LCers should take a multi-vitamin and other things to be sure that they are getting what they need to optimize or maximize their weight loss. And perhaps to get the stuff that the average North American diet IS deficient in.

Hope this helps.

#10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 15:10
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 155/155/150
BF:
Progress:
Default hi

I agree w/ Doreen....adding potassium w/o having ample water intake is worse than lack of either. Make sure youre getting more than enough water in your diet. Rule of thumb, if your urine has color and not clear, you are getting enough water.

good luck.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 08:52
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Marcus,

do you mean if your urine has no color you ARE getting enough water? I've been wondering about that too, but thought I was getting plenty....but, alas, no ketosis, no color

(although I a losing, so haven't worried too much!)

#12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 12:21
Registered Member

Plan: None
Stats: 165/170/170
BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by tofi
Today is the day that you increase your carbs to 25 grams daily. Induction is over and withdrawal symptoms should subside and disappear. The extra carbs will help with the dizziness.

You have lost 25 pounds in 2 weeks! WOW! Now be prepared that you may not lose more than a pound or two in the next few weeks. That is normal and what should be expected. If you stay with the plan as your body adjusts to the loss, you WILL start losing again (but never at the rate of the Induction whoosh).

Atkins really does not lead to mineral or vitamin deficiencies. In one of the earliest LC experiments in the 1930's, 2 Arctic explorers lived for one whole year on just meat. There diet was monitored by Bellevue Hospital in New York and they were fine. The body can actually manufacture Vitamin C from fresh meat. (Old time sailors used to get scurvy because their meat was salted and preserved, not freshly butchered.)

But LCers should take a multi-vitamin and other things to be sure that they are getting what they need to optimize or maximize their weight loss. And perhaps to get the stuff that the average North American diet IS deficient in.

Hope this helps.

Induction period or not 25 lbs in 2 weeks means that you lost alot of muscle tissue and when one loses muscle tissue one's metabolism slows down. When this happens your ability to efficiently burn fat on a regular basis is limited due to the muscle loss and once you begin eating regularly again you will put the weight back on. Be careful.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 12:50

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally posted by infuriator
Induction period or not 25 lbs in 2 weeks means that you lost alot of muscle tissue and when one loses muscle tissue one's metabolism slows down. When this happens your ability to efficiently burn fat on a regular basis is limited due to the muscle loss and once you begin eating regularly again you will put the weight back on. Be careful.

My dear please read the book before making assumptions. EVERYONE knows that the bulk of the first two weeks worth of weight loss is water. Not muscle.

Please do a little more research before answering our member's threads.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 12:54
Registered Member

Plan: SuManKins
Stats: 321/249/221 Female 64 inches
BF:Let's not go there
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Induction period or not 25 lbs in 2 weeks means that you lost alot of muscle tissue
I highly doubt that all the loss was muscle... that is a generalization, and seems to ALWAYS be the answer... oh your weight loss is muscle... what about the continued loss? She does say that she exercises... (omg a LC'er that exercises..hmmm in another post "someone" insinuated that LC'ers don't do that)... I would make sure that enough supplements are being taken, and do take into account about the potassium...and check your blood pressure.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 12:59

Stats: 207/201/165
BF:32%/32%/25%
Progress: 14%
Default Wow, 25 lbs in 2 weeks?!?

Well, once I can get past my envy, I can't help but feel a tinge of concern, because 25 lbs sounds like an awful lot of weight in too short a period of time to lose. As a result, as others have mentioned, I would wonder how much of that is water loss, and if you are not drinking enough water, and how much of your symptomatic complaints could be from an overall state of dehydration.

Are you taking any supplements such as Metabolife, Xenadrine, or others with ephedra (ma huang)? It is my experience, that when I'm on LC and take these, I can't exercise without some kind of dizziness and feelings of weakness, so I don't take them much anymore. Contrary to all the good advice about doing cardio in the morning on an empty stomach, I can't do that either without getting dizzy. If I combine an empty stomach and supplements, forget it, it's impossible. So, I usually exercise about an hour after eating, no supplements, and plenty of water before, during, and after since I sweat a lot and need to replace the fluids in my body. (Funny, but I also notice that when I exercise and don't drink enough water, I actually have a tendency to sweat even more than I normally do. Go figure.)

However, I know part of my own problem is that I have low blood pressure, always have had, and you said this was not a problem for you.

As many others here, I also don't see anything that would make me think you have heart disease and I suspect that once you move beyond induction to a more regular and stable place, that things may change.

However, I would never presume to play doctor, nor, despite everyone's best intentions and good advice, would I completely rely on the opinions of others with a potentially serious concern as yours. I'd tend to check with a medical expert just to be sure.

Atkins is very clear in his book about anyone following his diet and/or adding exercise to daily regimen be seen by their own doctor. If you did not see a doctor prior to starting the diet or adding exercise, or haven't seen your doctor in the last 6 mos or so, I'd make an appointment to get it all checked out. Your own doctor could best let you know if you are at risk for heart disease (with or without diet), suggest causes for your dizziness, ways in which to eliminate it, the best supplements you might need, and also offer reassurance if there is no problem.

I hope you find resolve, and that you continue towards your weight-loss goals without problem. I'm truly impressed by your progress!

AJ