Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-05-04, 23:07

Plan: atkins
Stats: 224/212/180 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Food for camping?

I was wondering if anyone out there could help with some suggestions for low carb camping food...
I am going to be off camping/backpacking for 7 days in a desert environment... I need suggestions for things to eat besides "lots of beef jerky" ... specifically I was hoping someone might have suggestions for non-perishable food that fits the diet...

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-05-04, 23:27

Plan: Atkins, low cal
Stats: 150/116/117 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 103%

how about:
-low carb bread
-atkins (or any brand, i suppose) nutrition bars
-tuna/chicken/salmon/crab, etc in a can (the kind that has the pop off tops)
-any kind of canned veggie that has a pop off top
-peanut butter
-nuts of any kind

hope that helps!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 00:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

I saw in the grocery stores bizarrely packaged tuna and some other products. These come in pouches that are supposed to be easy open and would be great for backpacking (canned goods can get so heavy!). They are costly, but could be worth the price for this kind of thing.

You might also consider dried berries or other low-carb fruits (in small portions) as these would provide some good fiber.

I've been trying to drum up good ideas myself, because we're heading off on a road trip in about another week-and-a-half, and there will be two full days of driving that, of course, will require plenty of snacks. The first words out of the 6-year-old's mouth when he heard we were going was, "We need snacks--lots of snacks!" LOL
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 07:53
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Jerkey is the only thing that pops into my head at the moment.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 08:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 169/132/132 Female 153 cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

What about something like a stew in a bag?? I know the various camping co.'s have rice and oatmeal, etc., but I wonder about chili or stew... you would have to check the carbs.

If you are hiking, you may be able to go for something a little bit higher in carbs than normal, like oatmeal. And maybe a little V8 juice, or something with lots of vitamins and salt (since you'll probably be sweating alot!).

I think some sausages like pepperoni, summer sausage, kielbassa, etc. have some shelf life out of the fridge, too. Salty and processed, but darn good when you need meat!!!!

M
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 08:10

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

You can find dehydrated tvp, veggies and beans, or spinach hummus (the beans are flaked so they rehydrate instantly. I think fantastic is who makes them) to take. The tvp is the lowest carb of those items. They weigh almost nothing and you just need to add water to them. Freeze dried fruits are very lite. Trail mix with nuts/coconut would be good. You can always mix your own. LC cereal is lite and something to munch on as well. You can make a nice 'oatmeal' out of oatbran, water and the freeze dried fruit, walnuts and a packet of splenda. Dried powdered milk too although I am sure just like regular milk it's a little more carby. Tuna in the disposable pouches would be a lot lighter than canned. They also have salmon in the same packets. Toss that in with some of the dehydrated veggies and you have a nice little soup. Nut butter and crackers are good as well. There are a few brands that do make LC crackers. I get a wasa(I ***THINK** thats the brand) xtra fiber and they are very low carb for a sheet. Bread has a tendancy to mold after a couple days of high heat. I have even seen cooked wild rice in vaccuum sealed packets in walmart. Herbal tea packets or sugarfree cocoa might be a nice treat to pack as well. Just make sure you take enough food and water. Make the best carb choices you can but aslo make sure that you have enough to actually sustain you on your trip. Oh and have a WONDERFUL time!!

Jenn
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 08:21
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

The tuna in the pouch is really good quality, better than canned. Some companies actually sell fully-cooked ground beef in a pouch that doesn't need refrigeration. That really makes me wonder, but for a camping trip it might be perfect. And there's always Spam.

I think nuts are a good idea too. And I'm not a big fan of the Atkins bars, but they might be a perfect snack in this type of situation. Also, MiniCarb makes a low-carb granola that's not bad.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 10:10

Plan: atkins
Stats: 250/196/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%

I live in the desert.....Yuma, Az. I went backpacking in the Cabeza Prieta wildlife refruge several years ago and I made up a hobo meal wrapped in foil, I precooked it, and froze it. Then I wrapped it up in several layers of news paper as insulation. The day of my trip, I packed it last. I took off the newspaper which I used as kindling for my fire. when I had coals I put my packet on the coals to warm up. I must say that my packet was still partially frozen at supper time. for the hobo I used a ground beef patty and some chopped up onion and cabbage as the veg. Everything tastes better over a camp fire.