Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 11:45
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Smile Look whats on the page of MSN!

5 low carb Menus

This is a sample of the menus:

5 Low-Carb Dinner Menus
Content provided by Better Homes and Gardens (under Healthy Living, no less!)

Menu 1
Filet Mignon with Portobello Sauce
Just a splash of Madeira or port wine makes this buttery, meltingly tender steak-and-mushroom dish simply marvelous.

Directions
1. Trim fat from steaks. Rub both sides of steaks with oil and pepper. For a charcoal grill, grill steaks on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals to desired doneness, turning once halfway through grilling. Allow 8 to 12 minutes for medium-rare (145 degree F) and 12 to 15 minutes for medium (160 degree F). (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place steaks on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.)
2. Meanwhile, for sauce, in a large skillet cook and stir mushrooms and onions in hot butter over medium heat about 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in broth and Madeira. Bring to boiling. Remove from heat. Thinly slice steaks diagonally and serve with sauce. Makes 4 servings.

Nutritional Information
Nutritional facts per serving
calories: 260, total fat: 13g, saturated fat: 5g, cholesterol: 88mg, sodium: 128mg, carbohydrate: 4g, fiber: 1g, protein: 29g, vitamin A: 8%, vitamin C: 11%, calcium: 1%, iron: 31%

Serve with:
3/4 cup steamed green beans
1/3 cup blueberries
Sparkling water

Last edited by Lessara : Fri, Jan-30-04 at 11:46.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 15:19

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Ahhh... But look at what the second one starts with:

Quote:
Mustard-Glazed Halibut Steaks: A simple sauce of melted margarine...
They don't quite get it yet. But if you use the butter instead of the margarine, it's OK and I think I'll try it -- I love halibut.

Ingredients
• 4 6-ounce fresh or frozen halibut steaks, cut 1 inch thick
• 2 tablespoons margarine or butter
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice
• 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
• 2 teaspoons snipped fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed

Directions
1. Thaw fish, if frozen.

2. In small saucepan heat margarine or butter, lemon juice, mustard, and basil over low heat until melted. Brush both sides of steaks with mustard mixture.

3. Grill fish steaks on the greased rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 8 to 12 minutes or just until fish begins to flake easily when tested with a fork, turning once and brushing occasionally with mustard mixture. Makes 4 servings.

To grill by indirect heat: Arrange preheated coals around a drip pan in a covered grill. Test for medium heat above pan. Place fish on the greased grill rack over drip pan. Cover and grill for 8 to 12 minutes or just until fish begins to flake easily when tested with a fork, turning once and brushing occasionally with mustard mixture.

Nutritional Information
Nutritional facts per serving
calories: 243, total fat: 10g, saturated fat: 2g, cholesterol: 55mg, sodium: 254mg, carbohydrate: 1g, fiber: 0g, protein: 36g, vitamin A: 14%, vitamin C: 5%, calcium: 6%, iron: 9%

BTW: Here're the ingredients for the fillet mignon:

• 4 beef tenderloin steaks, cut 1 inch thick (about 1-1/4 pounds total)
• 1 teaspoon olive oil
• 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
• 2 large portobello mushrooms, halved and sliced
• 8 green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
• 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
• 1/3 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
• 2 tablespoons Madeira or port wine
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 16:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebPenny
Ahhh... But look at what the second one starts with:

They don't quite get it yet. But if you use the butter instead of the margarine, it's OK and I think I'll try it -- I love halibut.

Many food makers don't even get it. I've seen 2 TV Dinner makers advertise their foods as low in carbs. I've checked both out [read the label] and found both were udder frauds. The first had a significant amount of carbs, but the amount was semi-reasonable if you could consider one TV Dinner a whole meal [and you aren't in induction.] But, a simple review of the ingredients yielded a half dozen refined sugars, a handfull of trans-fats, and a shitload of artificial chemicals. In fact, most of the Carbs were from these refined sugars.

The second one doesn't even require a review of the ingredients, but I did a cursory scan anyways. It advertises as LC, but the label reveals the true Carb counts run from 21 to 23g Net with very little Fiber. This suprised me since both this one [and the previous one I mentioned] were Chicken & Broccoli. So, I flipped it over and guess what ? Again, loads of sugar. If they'd omitted the sugar [and trans-fats and preferably the artificial chemicals also,] they would've had a truly LC TV Dinner. But, alas they still weren't able to grasp that simple concept.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 21:46
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%

On this line of thought, I notice at Hannaford that low carb to them means anything with 10g of carbs or less... like corn for example....
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 11:56

Stats: 297/235/190
BF:
Progress: 58%

I remember when things were listed "85% fat free" which meant that it had 15% fat.

Calling anything low carb will sell it. Then the public will fail on "low carb" and we can go back to low calorie/fat.
danny
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 13:55

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Any of ya'll ever go to Golden Corral ??? They now have Pamphlets out that detail which foods are Diet Friendly. Here's a few of their definitions:

Limited Sodium: <500mg per serving. That pretty much includes everything except pure Salt.
Low-Carb: <5g CHO and >10g Protein per serving of Meat and <10g CHO per serving of Veggies. This includes pretty much all their meats [other than Fried] and Vegetables [other than Potatoes.]
Weight Watchers: They Give the Points, so there's no real definition.
Diabetic (Low Sugar): No Sugar Added. But, frequently includes foods high in natural sugars and starches such as Fruits and Cakes.

Low-Fat:

Single Item -- <30% Fat; <1000mg Sodium; Fruit and Grain [or Calcium Rich Food]
Meal -- <30% Fat; <1500mg Sodium; 2 servings of Fruit or Veggies; 1 serving of Grain or Calcium Rich Food.

Here's the kicker, their suggestion for a Low-Fat Meal -- 3 oz. Steak [or Roast Beef,] 1 cup Buttered Noodles, and 1 cup Veggie Trio [or Broccoli,] and a Corn Muffin. I'm sure that would fill you up...HEAVY SARCASM intended. After a meal that small, I'd be horribly hungry. Well, at least they're suggesting Green Veggies over Potatoes. BTW, I wondered why they said Grain or Calcium Rich Food, considering Grains are very low in Calcium.

I like to go there because they have the Buffet to Go for $3.39/lb. Of course, they're probably expecting you to put cheap stuff like Bread and Potatoes in there, so that they make a tidy profit. Instead, I chose Steak and Salmon with Spinach.