Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 23:48

Plan: Paleoish
Stats: 218/175/155 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default New at BFL! Insulin Spike/L-Glutamine - have hyperinsulinemia

Hi Everyone!
I started BFL a week ago with my other half! For late risers, it was a killer getting up at 6.00am to exercise but we did it and it gave us immense satisfaction to know what we had accomplished!
I've been greedily reading everyones posts and found them so fascinating. Today we went out and stocked up on our protein powder as we are now going through it at a faster rate! We also bought some Redback Muscle Stack (it's an Australian product) as I've been reading how important it is to replenish L-Glutamine and to use carbs to get an insulin spike so that you don't cause your muscle breakdown.
The Muscle Stack includes per serving:
(32g of carb)
8g of creatine
1.5g HMB
5g L-Glutamine
200mg ALA
3g D-Ribose
3g Taurine
100mg Magnesium
22g Dextrose
10g Glucose Polymers
250mg Vitamin C
1g Tyrosine
300mcg Chromium Picolinate
3mg Beta Carotene
3g BCAA's
50mg Calcium
300mcg Phosphorous
60mg Stevia
200mg Inulin
400mg Glycine

It says on the lable to take a serve 1 hour before training and one serve 1/2 hour after training.

As I am doing BFL, I am not sure if I should be having any before training, or if I should just have one serve an hour after training (BFL says to wait an hour). Also, I have hyperinsulinemia and so am not sure if a whole serving would be too much for me. I am aware that with so much training I need more carbs than I would if I wasn't but not sure if I should have so many at once.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Melberry
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-03, 06:14

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Melberry, congrats on starting and on getting up for the early am. workouts! That's quite the accomplishment for a late riser

That product looks like a winner - a great combination of everything you need to help those muscles recover. I hope it wasn't too expensive (the good ones tend to be rather pricey).

As you have hyperinsulinemia I would tread cautiously with the carbs, as you've stated. The carbs pre workout might be too much, especially if you've been LCing for a while and it's helping with the hyperinsulinemia. A dose post workout, even half a dose, would be a good start for a little experimenting. I would use this only on lifting days, however. It's unfortunate, because the ingredients other than the dextrose would be beneficial everyday.

Waiting one hour for your meal should be the guideline for cardio, FYI. Get that meal in post resistance workout ASAP - the sooner the better to avoid any side effects of the carbs. With this meal you do not want to go longer than 45 minutes before you eat.

And of course, let us know how it goes!

Nat