Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-03, 17:52

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 199/190/150
BF:
Progress: 18%
Question Happy Hour Confusion....

This Friday myself and other coworkers are hitting "happy hour" after work. I am so confused I want to stay true to our way of life. I did my research and came up with a list of low carb friendly drinks. For example lite beer generally is about 2 carbs, Vodka 0 carbs, Rum 0 carbs, wine (depeneding on color) 1-2 carbs.....I guess the question is how is it possible for those choices to be so low carbs? Isn't wine made from grapes, isn't Rum made from sugar cane, isn't beer wheat and hops; all carb loaded products? So is my list misinformation? I just want one drink to feel part of the crowd, yet be true to this WOL. Please help
Thanks in advance,
Gaily
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-03, 18:32

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Hmm... you make an interesting point about how those alcohols are derived. But, you're pretty much right. Clear spirits have no carbs. Lite beer has 3-6 depending on the fullness of the brand, wine has 2-3, I think.

Best thing to remember about alcohol and weight loss is that when it's in your system, alcohol will be used as fuel before anything else, including fat. So while you're drinking you won't be burning fat. Of course, obviously, moderation is key.

Rum and diet coke is my staple.

Happy low carbing!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-03, 21:01
One Day At A Time

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 373/373/145 Female 5'5
BF:at least 59%
Progress: 0%
Default Rum.. ::hiccup::

Hello,
You can go out with friends after work and stay true to your new woe. and drinking in this case.
I like captain morgans spiced rum and diet coke.. It tastes very good. Keep in mind..moderation isssss the key.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 15:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 181/164/150
BF:
Progress: 55%

Hi! I can't assist with the sugar question but I can tell you that I agree moderation IS important. LCing has a way of making alcohol hit you VERY quickly. Just a note from someone who's been there.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 16:06
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi! The reason some alcoholic beverages are lower than others in carb count is that the friendly li'l yeasties eat the sugar. They convert it into ethanol and carbon dioxide.

The different beverages, particularly beer and wine, will have varying amounts of unfermentable complex sugars and starches. This is due to using different ingredients and additives, and also due to different yeast strains. These unfermentables are your countable carbs.

Distilled beverages are bascially ethanol and water, no other sugars or starches. The exception is when they're flavoured, like coconut rum or other liqueurs, so read your labels.

HTH.

--
Kristine, homebrewer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brewcam.jpg (14.4 KB, 5 views)
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 18:50

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 199/190/150
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default Kristine?

Kristine, since your a homebrewer your information is quite useful, but I am still curious....Does that mean that (for example) Rum which is made out pure sugarcane; the carbs from that sugar is eaten up by yeast? I didn't know hard alcohol had yeast. So if Rum essentially has 0 carbs will it affect this WOL and if so how? Thanks everyone in adavance for tips. Thanks Kristine for your brewing expertise.
GAily