Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 09:19

Plan: mix of IF and Keto diet
Stats: 283/256/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default LCing and PMS emotions

To all veterans & newbies:

Is there a connection with LCing and having more mood swings during PMS time? I've only been LCing for about 6 months now, but I tend to think that it's been the last 6 months that I've been much more emotional during my PMS time than before I started this WOE.

Does anyone have any input to my delemma? I'm already taking supplements that contain healthy doses of the B vitamins, as well as magnesium. I'm all ears ...I hate being the monthly family witch
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 09:24

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%

interestingly enough I happen to be the opposite. But because I am also hypoglycemic and have cut way down on my coffee I think stabilizing my blood sugar levels has made the difference. I also take evening primrose oil and flaxseed oil and they are both known to help PMS. Are U taking them?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 09:39

Plan: Meat, leaves, & berries
Stats: 192/175/160 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 53%
Cool Hi Schwartz

I had a very similar experience up until this past month.

Since I started low carbing (labour day weekend) my physical PMS symptoms diminished, however, the inner bitch really let loose. It was quite frightening. I'm happy to report though, this past month I was running at only about 20% bitch. I hope this change is here to stay.

In the health concerns part of the forum, I started a thread "Womens PMS experience on low carb" perhaps you could look it up. I religeously take UDO oil (an essential oil supplement) and have been eating more macadamias lately. Who knows? In the meantime, might I suggest you find something to beat the crap out of? I have a 100lb heavy bag in my basement.

Best of luck!

Janice
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 09:42
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Did you used to eat more carbs during that time? Chocolate and other stuff? They can make you numb to what you are feeling.

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 11:16

BF:

To gwilson38: I do not drink caffeinated coffee …I’ll have 1 cup of decaf (usually) a day. Along with my other supplements, I take a capsule of 3-6-9 essential fatty acid which contains cold water fish oil, flax oil, and & borage oil. However, I only take 1 / day (it calls for 1 or 2 -3Xdaily) since it repeats on me so badly (blah!) Maybe I should be taking in more anyway? Maybe I should concentrate of evening primrose oil more instead of the blend? I am not hypoglycemic, but I am hypothryroid (for over 16 years). From different books I’ve been reading, hypothyroids & hypoblycemics share some very similar symptoms.

To Janice: Thanx for telling me of the “Women’s PMS” thread …I will definitely look it up. So …according to you, there could be hope that this may settle down for me? Wouldn’t that be a nice dream to look forward to. I only can hope you’re right. And as for those 100 lb bags in your basement –thanx for the offer. I think I have some old bags around here that might do the trick (and they’re not even human ones either!)

To Karen: Yes …I used to carb myself through this time of cycle before I started LCing. A loaf of bread couldn’t even fill me up …I always felt hungry. Since LCing, I’ve recently resorted to cheese & nuts to ‘fill the gap’ just to keep myself out of the sweets & breads (usually I don’t eat cheese & nuts ‘cuz they stall me, but during PMS, I’m stalled anyway) You’re probably right about carbs numbing what I’m feeling …I guess it was the seratonin effect, right? I’d love to find out more positive ways of dealing with emotional turmoils than using food. Usually I don’t resort to food when down (I try to do something active or constructive instead), but when I’m in the PMS stage, I find myself so hungry in my emotional state.

I realize that PMS is a hormonal situation. We females always seem to have to wrestle in the hormonal arena …some more than others. But since there’s likely many females out there who have found ways to help themselves during this time of month, I figured I’d only be that much smarter asking for everyone’s input.

This LC forum is such a wonderful support network. I hope I can be of encouragement to others in time to come as I’ve already been encouraged by so many in the few short weeks I’ve been with you.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 12:23

BF:

I tried the borage 3-6-9 caps anf the problem I found was that once I bit into one it was rancid! Did U buy them off the shelf or from a fridge? Thats why I switched to flaxseed oil.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 12:49

BF:

Quote:
Did U buy them off the shelf or from a fridge?

I bought my EFA caps off a shelf. They are from a local supplier, and the expiration date is 2004. Could they still be rancid? I keep them in a fridge.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 13:41

BF:

Unfortunately the expiration date on these arent very reliable. Fish oil goes bad very fast once it is exposed to air. Even keeping them in the fridge at this point wont do much good. IF they arent rancid they probably should be fine for a couple more weeks. Flaxseed oil can go rancid aswell but not nearly as fast.