Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 17:52
Lobstergal

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Calorie Counting

Does anyone here on a paleo woe count calories?

I was just reading through some of the posts made by some other low carbers on these boards and some of them are so obsessed with every single calorie they put in thier mouths that it seems like a very alien way to live.

I just eat what nature intended me to eat until I am satisfied but not stuffed and am quite happy about that.
I cannot see myself *ever* counting calories. Our ancestors sure didn't.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 19:20

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 322/240/140 Female 5'6''
BF:I have no idea
Progress: 45%

Hi,

I don't count calories. If I stop losing then I might consider it, but not before then. I like this woe. It naturally limits what I used to binge on. When I was following Atkins, I wanted to binge all the time on the lc goodies, but I don't seem to have that problem now. Marty
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 01:00
Lobstergal

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by toopoles
Hi,

When I was following Atkins, I wanted to binge all the time on the lc goodies

Oh god so did I. I was having a heck of a time staying on Induction levels
due to all the LC goodies out there........especially the low carb breads. Now I do not have to bother with any of it anymore and I have not binged since starting Neanderthin AND I can find something suitable to eat anywhere which is great IMO.
I wonder what Ray thinks of counting calories. I sure would love to sit down and have a chat with him.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 05:09

Plan: Neanderthin/Paleo
Stats: 147/123.2/121 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress: 92%

I don't count calories. But I'm less hungry than on a "normal" diet, so I've reduced my calorie intake naturally, which has resulted in weight loss.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 05:50
Registered Member

Plan: paleo
Stats: 209/189/176 Male 186cm
BF:
Progress: 61%

Hi clan
I suppose that like a lot of people who are on a new way of eating I often find myself thinking "now what am I going to eat next?" and start getting peckish. However when I am really busy (I tutor college students at home and sometimes I am flat-out for hours on end) I sometimes look at the clock and think "Wow it's 3 o'clock and I haven't eaten since breakfast", so I will have maybe a small can of tuna with a few slices of onion or a few pieces of left over roast meat, or a 2 egg omelette, then I'm right until dinner.

Under the old regime I would get absolutely starving late morning and end up pigging out on a couple of meat pies or a Burger King Whopper double beef and cheese, large fries and large coke. Or a pizza.... or one and a half pizzas.... or.....

Cheers
Michael Gardner
Queensland
Australia
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 19:26
Lobstergal

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nela
I don't count calories. But I'm less hungry than on a "normal" diet, so I've reduced my calorie intake naturally, which has resulted in weight loss.

I find I am less hungry as well...sometimes even skipping lunch, which I know is not good so I make it a concious effort to eat *something* even if it is a can of tuna in oil.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 19:29
Lobstergal

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelG
Hi clan
Under the old regime I would get absolutely starving late morning and end up pigging out on a couple of meat pies or a Burger King Whopper double beef and cheese, large fries and large coke. Or a pizza.... or one and a half pizzas.... or.....

When I was doing a low fat diet (at the time Deal A meal or Weight Watchers) I was continually thinking about the foods I could still have for the rest of the day. On this plan I do not even think about food very much until I start to feel my stomach growl. Then I think..."Oh!! It must be time to eat."
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 18:27

Plan: meat and meat by-products
Stats: 270/191/150 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Jaime,

I gotta tell you, I crack up every time I see that picture of William Shatner in your posts. That's really priceless.

Howard
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 18:41
Registered Member

Plan: antivegan,was subzerocarb
Stats: 200/187/175 Male 6' 0"
BF:27%/19%/12%
Progress: 52%

On a low fat diet, one gets very hungry. I know I did. And then, of course eat a bunch of carbs (usually very sweet things) because of hunger pangs. And, then, of course, get on a roller coaster with blood sugar rising, then rapidly falling, and then you are shaking for more! And, eating low carb bread would probably set up the same type of situation.

This paleo WOE allows you to get adequate fat and enough good carbs (from veggies and fruit) that you really never are "hungry". If I was "counting calories" on this paleo diet, I would be counting them because I was concerned that I was not getting enough calories! I am never hungry and have to remind myself to eat, very much like the rest of you described.

I have gotten very use to making sure I eat some sort of protein/fat along with any carbs everytime I do eat. That is the real trick to keeping hunger in check.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 20:41
Lobstergal

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZ
Jaime,

I gotta tell you, I crack up every time I see that picture of William Shatner in your posts. That's really priceless.

Howard

Thanks. I love that pic too. I actually snagged it from someone's picture folder when I saw it. It had the message underneath it....."OMG!! It;s a CAAAARRRBBBB!!!!!" or something to that effect. It cracked me right up so now it is my avatar. Heehee.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 07:57

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

I think calories matter to a certain degree depending on circumstance, age, amount of weight that needs to be lost, medical condition, etc. For example, my son who is 24 eats at least 6 slices of low-carb bread a day, doesn't watch how much he eats and cheats often, but is losing weight rapidly because his job is very physically demanding. I, however, lead a more sedentary lifestyle, am quite a bit older, have health issues, so I have to watch my calories but not to the point of obsession. Of course, I am losing very, very slowly. What makes me laugh are those people that have 10 pounds to lose and are so obsessed about rapid weight loss and why they can't lose, ad nauseum. It could be because they have set their goal weight a little too low and their body is telling them that it has it's own ideal weight. Ray Audette mentions this in his book that the body itself will adjust to it's own ideal weight if you follow the plan.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 08:04
Lobstergal

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellistile
What makes me laugh are those people that have 10 pounds to lose and are so obsessed about rapid weight loss and why they can't lose, ad nauseum. .

Yes that is what gets me because I have noticed, through reading several posts on these boards, that some people are downright fanatical about thier calorie intake when they might be 5 pounds away from goal.
I have to almost sit on my hands to keep from posting anything.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 23:07
Registered Member

Plan: antivegan,was subzerocarb
Stats: 200/187/175 Male 6' 0"
BF:27%/19%/12%
Progress: 52%

When one is younger they can deal with more carbs... and it is because they have not done the tremendous damage (yet) that most of us have to our metabolisms. I wish I would have known about this WOE when I was a child (or I wish my parents would have know about it!).

I know that when one is sedentary, it is harder to lose weight (and body fat). I have experienced that as of late. I need to get more committed to exercise!
  #14   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 23:04
Lobstergal

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleoDeano
I need to get more committed to exercise!

You and me both. I think I am going to get back into swimming again. I miss it.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 06:49

Plan: Neanderthin/Paleo
Stats: 147/123.2/121 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress: 92%

I have to get on my treadmill. It seems I've come to another halt in my weight loss. But that's thanks to eating loads of fruit this week and then having major chocolate cravings. Back to the straight and narrrow it is.