Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 16:32

Plan: searching????
Stats: 248/180/143 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 65%
Thumbs up Need a little help

Hi there everyone.
I am in my 6th week of LC. Last week I only lost 1 pound. I have been trying to fiqure out if I am doing something wrong. First of all, does anyone know if cutting your carbs too low (15 or under) can do bad things for your weight loss?
Also I have been having diet jello with whip cream as a treat at night. I make sure that I count the carbs. I have been reading that is a no, no. I was wondering if that could be slowing down the weight loss? Also, why is Aspartame such a bad thing?
Thanks for any help you can give me.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 16:35

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 8%

First off, they say there is no good reason to do much under 20g. Second off, have you lost all 21 pounds on lc? That's more than 3 pounds per week average, more than a 1 pound loss every other week. Your body will have it's ups and downs. You just have to hang in there! Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 17:26
living kaizen

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 510/406/195 Male 6 feet baby...
BF:
Progress: 33%

I wouldn't sweat the whipped cream, just do it in moderation I don't think it's a no-no. But you should be up around 20.

1 pound a week is fine, the only way I know to make it go any faster is water and exercise.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 17:35

Stats: 275/266/175 Female 5'10"
BF:voluminous
Progress: 9%

Hopefull,

Aspertame tricks your brain into thinking that you have had sugar and so prepares your body to receive sugar. Then when the sugar doesn't show up you end up craving the sugar your body didn't get to answer the chemicals that were released in response to aspertame's own chemical make-up. There are also neurological implications that you might want to look into. Consider that it is recommended that you don't give aspertame to children. That's enough to make me avoid it! Completely? No, with LC if you are eating out and Diet Coke or Pepsi are your only options and you are eating anyway the impact won't be as bad.

Congrats on the weight loss 21# in 6 weeks are nothing to sneeze at. Some weeks will be great and others won't. Keep up the good work!

Congrats from Con
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 19:29
Registered Member

Plan: Custom
Stats: 410/253/240 Male 72
BF:Wow/30%/???
Progress: 92%

You have done well so far. The loss does slow down after you shed all the water. In my case, I only lose 1.2 lbs a week, but over a two year period it has really added up as my stats show. As far as carb level, I found I'm not very happy under about 60 carbs a day. The key is I make sure I expend more calories than I ingest.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 20:28
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 310/245.5/150 Female 62.5
BF:
Progress: 40%

L Carnitine!!!!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 21:35

Plan: searching????
Stats: 248/180/143 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 65%

Everyone, thanks for reminding me that there is hope. I kinda forgot that I am still 21 pounds lighter then when I started.

Con, thanks for the good info on Aspartame. I had no idea that you were not supposed to give it to children.

Andra, do you use L Carnitine? Does it work if you do?
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 10:24

Stats: 282/236/150 Female 67.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%

Hi, HOPEFULL!

I don't use Aspartame. Can't help you there. BUT I did have a 'mini-stall' (up and down with the same silly pound) for about 10 days during my 5th and 6th (this) week. . . .

Yesterday, I upped my fiber and carbs just a bit to 20, since fitday showed that my net carbs were at about 15 a day for a week or so and I'd been a little "backed up". Lo and behold! I dropped 2 pounds this morning on day 42! Sometimes, I think you just need to surprise your body a bit. I agree with everyone else that 20 carbs, or as close to it as you can come, is the best thing. It is weird, though, I don't crave carby things anymore and my carbs just sort of slid down a little lower . . . now I guess I'm going to have to conscioulsy make sure they're a little higher!

Patience is the hardest thing for me, but I'm beginning to get some. I know I didn't get this big overnight, and I know I won't lose it overnight.

Hang in there! You're doing really well! I know we'll be hearing that you've lost another pound or two in no time at all.

Sue