Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-30-02, 10:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 204/181/145
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default Your results with Induction and Help Needed

Ok I am thinking about trying Atkins and I was wondering what was your results on induction? How long did you stay on induction? How long is someone suppose to stay on induction? And while on induction do you HAVE to have 20g of carbs a day or can it be less?
Thanks

PS I'm just really confused how to get 20g of carbs a day if the 2 cups of salad and 1 cup of veggies is suppose to be low carb?
The only salad things I will eat are cucumbers, peppers, and lettuce. As far as veggies I will only eat are egglplant and squash.

Last edited by LBDropper : Sat, Nov-30-02 at 10:25.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-30-02, 10:40

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

As to how much/how fast on induction....

Everyone's metabolism is different. Weight loss is highly dependant on age, past dieting history, metabolism and how much one need to lose in the first place.

Rule is you can expect a 10 percent loss. If you need to lose 20 pounds, then you can at least expect 2 pounds during the first 2 weeks.

It doesn't sound like you have read the book. If you haven't perhaps you should pick up a copy at the library and read at least the chapters on induction how tos.

You are allowed 20 carbs a day....and should keep as close to that as possible. Salad includes things such as olives, bell peppers, tomatoes, etc.

Less carbs does not mean you are going to lose weight faster. It simply means your meals are going to be really boring while consuming meat, eggs and cheese
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-30-02, 22:36

BF:

I want to do 20 carbs a day but am having a problem with making up a menu that reaches that. I won't be able to read the book for another 1-2 months. So I went the Atkins website and read about the Induction. I read the list of food and how much to eat of what. But it seems the only veggies I can eat are very low carb.

Last edited by LBDropper : Sat, Nov-30-02 at 22:38.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Nov-30-02, 23:42

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

how about adding some cheese to the salad. that will add a couple of carbs. also the salad dressing will have a few ( l usually have ranch). you may need to explore your veggie options, i would get so bored if i only ate the veggies you said you liked.

i usually didn't have any trouble getting my 20g in a day. i also used some shakes and bars though which add a few, and for some people don't work so good.

i stayed on induction for 2 weeks. after that i added nuts and fruit into my diet which upped the carb level.

good luck!!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-02, 08:12

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 186/161/138 Female 65 inches
BF:38/30ish/?
Progress: 52%
Default I'm on induction right now

I just started Atkins for the first time a week ago. I lost 3 lbs in the first day. My scale is digital and measures down to .2 lbs. I would see very small drops (.2 - .4) for a couple days, then was down another full pound. A few more days before I was down again. That first three was my water loss (not too much) and now I'm definitely working on the fat, and it is a slow process. But I'm at least seeing very small movements down or staying the same.

Most days my carbs seem to be slightly under the 20 g. I don't like veggies much, salads, cucs, celery, peppers are fine with me. The one day I went over is when I ate yellow squash and didn't realize it was 9 g for the quantity. I'm going to have to start eating real veggies I guess.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-02, 10:57

BF:

This is what I came up with 1 cup of cooked yellow squash 8g, 2 cups of cucumbers 6g, and 4 eggs 2g. The meats I eat won't have carbs so that equals up to only 16g a day. Am I doing something wrong?
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-02, 12:38
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Although induction is really strict, there is plenty of food available and the portions are quite reasonable. Remember you can sautee your chopped squash, or green beans, spinach, etc. in some butter and scramble your breakfast eggs right over the top, or make an omelet. For lunch, a salad with sliced bacon, cheese, cucumber, or a plop of tuna salad on top, should give you plenty.

You can stay under 20 grams if that's all you can eat, but many meats do have carbs - processed types of course, and cheese, even though the label says zero, always take that for a 1.

Remember to deduct your fiber counts from total carb count. Somehow if you eat throughout the day, snack when you're hungry...you may have no trouble getting to 20 grams of carbs.

Why don't you post a sample menu?

#8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-02, 14:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

If you truly cannot eat a greater variety of vegetables, please remember to take your vitamins every day. Part of what keeps us healthy is variety in our diet. If you're interested in seeing what vitamins you're lacking - IF any - keep a food journal on FitDay. It tracks your nutrients, as well as other aspects of this WOL and can be a handy tool. I discovered my eating habits were not as healthy as I needed, BUT my supplements are exactly the complement I need.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-02, 18:15

BF:

Here is what a typical meal would consist of for me

Breakfast 4-6 eggs with 6 slices of bacon

Snack - 2oz of cheddar cheese

Lunch - Baked chicken in butter w/ 1 cup cooked summer squash

Snack - 1 cup of cucumbers w/ vinegar

Dinner - 10 oz steak w/ 1 cup of cucumbers

Snack - 2 oz cheddar cheese

Maybe I'm calculating the carbs wrong but it doesn't equal 20 and I would like to NOT eat cheese if possible.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-02, 19:09
Registered Member

Stats: 188/164.5/150
BF:
Progress: 62%

Breakfast 4-6 eggs with 6 slices of bacon 6gr

Snack - 2oz of cheddar cheese 2gr

Lunch - Baked chicken in butter w/ 1 cup cooked summer squash
2gr
Snack - 1 cup of cucumbers w/ vinegar 2gr

Dinner - 10 oz steak w/ 1 cup of cucumbers 2gr

Snack - 2 oz cheddar cheese 2gr

Thats 16 grams -
Do you drink coffee? That's 1 gram per cup.
I would add a little more veggies - good roughage!! Brocolli or cauliflower fried and sprinkled with a little cheese will add some grams.
Just some suggestions - happy eating!
Kay

Last edited by Mattsgram : Sun, Dec-01-02 at 19:10.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-02, 19:18

BF:

Coffee tends to make me ill. Add more veggies? I thought 3 cups were the max on induction?

Fitday has 4 eggs as 2g of carbs and the back of my bacon says 0g .....am I missing something? I dont' see how you got 6g.

Last edited by LBDropper : Sun, Dec-01-02 at 19:26.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-02, 23:51

Stats: 134.5/130.5/110
BF:don't want to know
Progress: 16%
Cool

My understanding is that the 20 gm is a general guideline for the maximum amount of carbs to eat during induction, though some people can handle more, and some can't handle that many. I wouldn't worry about not eating enough carbs. It's difficult not to eat 20 gms a day. Most protein has some carbs, and you're bound to have to compromise occasionally on a sauce or something, if you're at someone's house, so you really don't need to make a concerted effort to eat enough carbs. You're better off eating less and then not stressing out if you're not perfect one day.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Dec-02-02, 05:55

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 186/161/138 Female 65 inches
BF:38/30ish/?
Progress: 52%

Don't only rely on Fitday. Look at the back of the Atkins book and see where there are hidden carbs. They are even hiding in vinegar, yes, vinegar.

I'd say 16 is good, and chances are it's a little bit higher. Bacon has carbs even if it says 0 if there is any sugar on the label. One serving of 2 slices may have .4 g of carb (like 2 cals) but have 5 slices and you've had 1 full carb. Those hidden carbs are very hidden.

Plus there's no way to know exactly how much you get in your leafy veggies. Sometimes it's a bit more, some days a bit less.

I've decided to stop freaking out over it. One day I measured only 12 g carb and that wasn't taking out the fiber, the next I'm at 21g. It all averages out eventually.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Dec-02-02, 14:48

BF:

Thanks for the help. Is there any online list like in the back of his book? I'm not sure when I can get to a library or book store. I would buy it online, but someone stole my credit card number online this weekend and spent $1000. So I'm waiting on the new one and it won't be in for 7-10 days. And I'm leary on buying online right now.