Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-03, 12:39

Plan: atkins
Stats: 138/122/120 Female 5.4 1/2 small frame
BF:23%/23%/?
Progress: 89%
Default the # of Calories when Frying?

Hi All!

I was wondering if anyone knew how to calculate the additional calories when using a deep fryer?

I got one as a present that using 3 cups of oil - if I put a 4oz. skinless chicken breast in the fryer - how do i figure out how much oil actually is asborbed by the chicken?

4 oz. of chicken = about 150 calories...
frying = ?

it's been suggested to me to measure the amount of oil missing from the fryer... but doesn't some of it burn off too?

help! thanks viv
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 09:51

Default # Calories when Frying?

Hi All! I posted this in the kitchen section... and no one seems to have any anwers so I'll post it here ... to see if you-all can help me.

I was wondering if anyone knew how to calculate the additional calories when using a deep fryer?

I got one as a present that using 3 cups of oil - if I put a 4oz. skinless chicken breast in the fryer - how do i figure out how much oil actually is asborbed by the chicken?

4 oz. of chicken = about 150 calories...
frying = ?

it's been suggested to me to measure the amount of oil missing from the fryer... but doesn't some of it burn off too?

Thanks! viv
p.s. 69 days LC & 2 pounds from GOAL!

Last edited by viv : Sun, Apr-06-03 at 09:52.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 10:01
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Oil doesn't evaporate like water during cooking so measuring how much oil is left after frying would give you the answer.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 10:04

THANK YOU! viv
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 10:27
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Hi Viv

Wouldn't that be a lot of work though to empty the oil out of the fryer and measure it (I know we are supposed to empty it out each time and filter it and wash the fryer and put it away and put the oil in the fridge) But I don't that would use valuable time I could spend at this site . Wouldn't FitDay have a listing for fried chicken. If you drain the food on paper towels that would also absorb some of the oil and then make the empty/measure system inaccurate I think.

Does it taste good ??? The only time I've ever deep fried skinless chicken breast it has been in a light batter like lemon chicken, I've never tried it plain.

Last edited by KoKo : Sun, Apr-06-03 at 10:45.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 10:39
"Natural Mystic"

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Hey Viv, Karen, Koko! I don't have the patience to measure. I think Koko is right, Fitday has fried chicken with or without skin.

Wow Koko! That's a big zucchini. The garden is pretty. I wish spring would come. I think I am catching another cold AGAIN. I just got over one and I have a sore throat again.

Peace
red
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 10:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/188/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 53%
Default Not trying to be funny

I'm not trying to be funny... but if oil doesn't evaporate, then why do I get a fine layer of grease on my range hood after lots of use of my deep fryer?

It's my understanding that all liquids have a boiling point at which they turn to a vapor (or gas).

So how do you figure how much oil is absorbed and how much floats away in the air?

Maybe such a small amount is lost that it's insignificant and measuring the leftover oil is the appropriate way.

Can you enter the food on fitday and select the method of cooking as "fried"?
Many foods have this option.

How important is it that you get an exact measurement of your fat grams?
Do you want to know down to the last teaspoon, or are you trying to make sure you are getting a good fat to carb ratio?

Just some food for thought.

Did someone say food? YUM!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 14:07

thanks for the advice...

i've tried fitday but i can't figure it out... i tried the fried chicken without skin... but that's using a batter & counts 10 carbs... i can't get it to calculate just the chicken & just the frying process.

well I'll tell Ya Koko - i'm with you on the time consuming - empty oil process - to tell the truth - the little fry daddy is STILL IN THE BOX. i'll probably wait until a slurge day to use it then fry everything from to chicken to CHEESE - did i mention i LOVE fried CHEESE!!!

i suspect the reason why my girlfriend gave me the machine was because i ranted and raved about Joe's Crab Shack... because if you call ahead - they will make medium shrimps with a piece of jalapeno cheese in the middle, wrapped in bacon, then fried! - no breading, no fake crab material - DELICIOUS!

Here's a thought - do I have to count the frying process? when i've fried cheese in a pan, i put 1 tablespoon of olive oil in it & use it about a billion times before it's gone...

viv
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 14:12
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally posted by viv
Here's a thought - do I have to count the frying process? when i've fried cheese in a pan, i put 1 tablespoon of olive oil in it & use it about a billion times before it's gone...

viv

Viv - since your on Atkins I don't think the above would cause any worry since a high fat level is good. Even if you are counting calories if it lasts as long as you say then it shouldn't add up to much - I've never fried cheese but imagine it would be pretty quick and since there is so much fat in cheese it might even come out with less fat since it kind of melts out when heated Pretty good question you asked here
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 21:12

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 360/313.6/150 Female 66.5"
BF:yes, of course
Progress: 22%

I don't think any of the oil "burns off". Some of it may be loss to small splatters when the oil boils, but that's probably only a tiny amount. The idea of measuring what's left after you fry sounds pretty good to me. While it may not be exact, it's pretty close.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 06:50
CAD for life

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 193/163.5/125 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default Hello

HMmm I never counted it but I don't keep track of calories that much just carbs....

It would be interresting to find out but since oil has no carbs and chicken no carbs........I wouldn't worry too much

I think some oil does burn off and splatter and when you take the chicken out put it on a paer towel lined plate and some will drip off. I bet its between 2T and 1/4 cup of oil per chicken breast...but that just an eye ball guess
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-03, 00:52

Plan: Atkins / Protein Power
Stats: 215/152/150 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 97%

Well, I don't know if it has been mentioned on this board, but Atkins' maple syrup w/sucralose is delicious and has zero carbs in a 1/4 CUP serving (which means, I assume, that it must be made out of liquid splenda to have a zero carb count for such a large portion). Anyway, if you are looking for a zero carb sweetener and maple flavoring wont screw up your plans, I recommend trying this syrup. I just mixed some with a bit of soy-nut butter and it tasted exactly like honey-roasted peanut butter. It was so good that I had to throw out the container of soynut butter 'cause I would have finished the whole thing tonight.