Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 08:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/180/200 Male 5'7"
BF:15%
Progress: 136%
Default I put real bread crumbs in my meatloaf, but I still think I'm ok... am I?

Last night I tried to make
Turkey Meatloaf with Pesto and Spinach.

The meatloaf called for Atkins Bread Crumbs but I didnt have any, only regular breadcrumbs. It would have been too wet to cook properly if I just omitted the crumbs, and not wanting to waste the batch, I just added regular breadcrumbs.

The carb content on the breadcrumb package said 20g carbs per 1/4 cup. The recipie called for 1/2 cup so there were 40 extra carbs in the loaf.

The loaf was cut into 7 pieces so 1/7th of 40 = almost 6 carbs per slice. The Atkins resource said the meal was 3.5 carbs (with atkins breadcrumbs) so I'm guestimating that each slice was almost 9.5 carbs.

But if I calculate my total carbs for the day, I STILL fall way under the limit of 20g carbs daily. So I think i'm good.

Is this justified or am I fooling myself? I think I recall something about bread carbs being all-together different from atkins veggie carbs... ???

Last edited by Epicurus88 : Wed, Dec-31-03 at 08:05.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 08:46

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 185.5/162/154 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

If you are just starting this woe you need to get rid of your carb food (unless you're cooking/living with carb eaters, which most of us are). Anyway, don't make a recipe if you don't have the LC ingredients. Now you have leftover meatloaf with a high carb count to eat. Means you can't eat lots of good veggies or some cheese or you may go over your carb count for the day. If you don't have the ingredients, don't make the recipe or adjust it. You could have put just a 1/4 cup of the breadcrumbs in or none at all. So what if it fell apart. The meatloaf may not have looked as nice but may have tasted even better. I don't think I've ever followed a recipe as it is written. I often substitute. I use walnut flour in my meatloaf. Other's use crushed pork rinds (cheap but I don't care for them). The low carb crumbs are pricey (as are nuts) but should last a long time. Atkins brand is usually the most expensive (not always) so shop around. Lots of online store. Check shipping prices as much as item prices. Cheap shipping can make all the difference in where to buy.

How did you like the meatloaf? I've never tried ground turkey and don't care for ground beef. I use the meatloaf mix or ground ham for my meatloafs.

Best of luck in the coming year!
Barb
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 08:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/180/200 Male 5'7"
BF:15%
Progress: 136%

The loaf was good... It LOOKED odd but it was tasty.

It was really wet without breadcrumbs. It would never have cooked properly.

BUT

If I would have paid more attention to the recipie before I started slapping it together, I probably could have modified the liquid ingredients to totally cut out the breadcrumbs. But I messed up.

No biggie.

Yes, I live with a carb eater... he'll more than gladly finish it off. I've always been the kind of person who only learns from his mistakes.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 09:07

Plan: General Low carb
Stats: 302/295/185 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 6%

I made meatload last night with no bread crumbs, it was a tad wet when I put it in and it was really Yum.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 09:12

Plan: Atkins Nutritionals
Stats: 226/204/150 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default YOu can make your Own Breadcrumbs, so easy!

I follow this recipe from atkins center:

http://atkins.com/food/recipes/all/...ead_Crumbs.html

My carb count is slightly different as I use whatever LC bread I currently have. The atkins multi grain bread is expensive, but I buy it just for making my own breadcrumbs! You can also control what spices are in it! I also make mine in a blender, clean up is a cinch!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 09:55
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I use keto crumbs. I really like them as a breading
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 10:00

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

After leaving induction,I calculated my carbs like that many times. Sometimes I make a 50/50 mashed potato/tofu recipe. The tofu not only reduced the carb content by 1/2 it increased the protein in my diet that day.

Black57
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 10:34
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

We use an old Atkins recipe for meatloaf wher eyou mix together like 4 kinds of ground meat, topp with bacon and there are no bread crumbs.

It's not just the carbss that matter. Bread crumbs are very high GI and enter your blood stream rapidly meaning there is a larger insulin spike then if you had an equal amount of low GI carbs.

I like the tofu idea. Other recipes I've seen that seem a little odd use things like cottage cheese and spinach for a medateranian loaf.

Nex time instead of adding the bread crumbs, why not make a last minute menu change and make hamburger patties out of the already mixed meat?