Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-03, 11:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/252/170
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default about to give up.

I lost 20 lbs so far, but I have been at the same weight (251) for almost 2 weeks now..no loss of inches either. I am on ketosis and have been all along.

a typical day for me looks like this:

2 eggs scrambled in butter with 1 or 2 slices of american cheese melted on top
3 slices bacon

grilled 16 oz sirloin and 2 cups of broccoli/couliflour

6-8 pieces chicken wings grilled on the bbq.
if I need a snack I eat about 2 slices hard swiss cheese.

I do brisk walking for 30 mins 3-4 days a week. alot of water..no caffeine, no aspartame. multivitamins, chromium, Omega3

I need to lose about 70 more lbs. I don't miind this WOL at all. I love eating meat and I am enjoying my foods (maybe too much) ..I love veggies (not fond of salad)
But if I'm not going to lose weight...

according to fitday I am eating about 2500 (sometimes more) calories a day mostly from fat. I hardly even reach 20 grams of carbs and that's including fiber. Does the calorie intake matter? I know we are not supposed to count calories..but I can't deny they exist.. If I am eating more than I am burning even if it is from fat and proteins would i still lose weight?
or is the diet supposed to curb my appetite so much (or make me so sick of meat) that I eat less? and consecuently less calories.

Wouldn't I be producing ketones even if the fat I am burning is the fat that comes from my meals and not from my love handles?

frustrated, Frank

Last edited by frankie : Sun, Feb-02-03 at 11:20.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-03, 11:56

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%

Your weight loss will take pauses in between. Sometimes for 2 weeks, sometimes longer. It's natural and normal. It's also something that will happen many times on your journey toward your goal weight. So hang in there.

You could bebefit from more carbs thru healthy vegetables like more salads. If you make your own olive oil and vinegar dressing you will be getting much needed healthy fats.

Broccoli and auliflower are very good for you, but are also very low in carbs. That is why your carb levels are so low. HAve you tried fried mushrooms? zucchini? cucumber? peppers? or any of the other allowable vegetables from the Atkins book? The variety will make you feel like you are just not eating meat.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-03, 12:27

BF:

So eating the large ammount of fat calories will not stall my weight loss? Why not?

Also I am afraid to add more carbohydrates.. won't I lose weight slower with each additional grams of carbs I add? can I have more broccoli/couliflower instead of the salad..(I put lots of butter and olive oil on them)

another thing..after like the third day of this stall I cut out Atkins bars and diet dr. pepper. thinking they were causing my stall..but I have been away from those things for a while now and still no weight loss..If this pause in weight loss is just normal, and I was losing weight while consuming those goodies, can I continue to have the bars/shakes or should I wait untill I start losing again?

My ketosticks are always dark purple..even though I drink 80+ oz of water a day..could I possibly need more water? If anything I must be overhydrated because i find myself going to the bathroom at least 10 times a day.

thanks for the advice

Last edited by frankie : Sun, Feb-02-03 at 12:29.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-03, 14:04
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
So eating the large ammount of fat calories will not stall my weight loss? Why not?

Nope. Not at this stage. Chapter 7 of DANDR - The Metabolic Advantage - says it all much better than I could. But, if you're overeating and stuffing yourself with food, it will be a problem.
Quote:
won't I lose weight slower with each additional grams of carbs I add? can I have more broccoli/couliflower instead of the salad..(I put lots of butter and olive oil on them)

No. Yes, of course!
Quote:
If this pause in weight loss is just normal, and I was losing weight while consuming those goodies, can I continue to have the bars/shakes or should I wait untill I start losing again?

It's entirely up to you.
Quote:
I drink 80+ oz of water a day..could I possibly need more water?

Probably not. Some people like to consume half their body weight in ounces of water per day.

There are all kinds of learning experiences, stalls, fat loss, plateaus, fat loss along the way. Just ask any long term LC'er. The secret is that they succeed because they are persistent, stay calm, and look upon it as a lifetime journey of knowledge and health. So will you if you decide that's what you want.

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-03, 14:22

Stats: 215/209/145
BF:??? Too much!
Progress: 9%

Cauliflower and broccoli are low carb???? I must be reading my book wrong. I thought they were on the vegies to have in moderation category. My biggest problem has been making sure I don't eat too many vegies...my fav food.
I have been on Atkins for 4 weeks and have lost only 7 lbs...haven't been exercising tho and think that is probably the reason why.
Probaly time to revisit strict induction.

Hang in there Frankie!

LouWho
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-03, 22:42

BF:

Thanks alot for the replies..I will be persistant and hang in there..i know I will reach my goal some day!