Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 05:41
Renovation Cub

Plan: LC
Stats: 330/286/200 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default Help - Bicycle tire knowledge

Good morning,

Just thought I'd ask here in case someone can help me. I'm not super knowledgable on bikes, and I'm not sure if I can do what I want, or how to do it.

I have a decent mountain bike (or at least I like it ), that I got several years ago, a Wheeler aluminum bike. It has big knobby tires for off road biking. However, I really don't use it for that (and if I had it to do over again, I'd have probably bought a hybrid type bike or road bike). I just got it back out of the garage thinking I'll start using it again. I would like to see if I can put some smoother tires on that will roll better on the pavement/gravel roads around here.
The current tires are 26" x 2.05. But I'm not sure if I have to find that exact same size tire to fit, or if there are other sizes that will go on. What is important, just the 26", or both numbers. Or, if I want smoother tires, which might only be found narrower in size, can I actually just replace the rubber, or will I have to buy all new rims too. I did a quick search to see if I could find the info, but so far haven't stumbled across a site that tells me this sort of information. Or, can I even do that with a mountain bike.

See, I'm clueless, and thought I'd at least try here while I search the internet for the info, just in case someone can quicken my search.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 05:55
Registered Member

Plan: keto
Stats: 148.8/135.4/125 Female 69"
BF:
Progress: 56%

You can use a narrower tire, but it has to be a 26". Depending on the width of your rim, you may only be able to go down to a 1.5 or so. Any knowlegible shop should be able to look at one of your rims and make a desision.
For any given rim, the only dimension that you have to stricktly adhere to is the first one. Ie, 26" 700c etc..

Hope this helps
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 06:05
Renovation Cub

BF:

Thanks. LOL, part of the issue is the lack of knowledgable shops around here. I bought the bike in Bells Corners when we first moved to Ottawa, but have now moved back to Nova Scotia, and the closest thing we have to a bike shop around here that I have found is Canadian tire which means we don't have one

Hmmm, okay. Now, are the tubes inside universal - ie same ones that is in there already is ok for a smaller tire, or would I need to replace with a narrower tube to fit a narrower tire? So far with some searching, I usually don't even see 2.05 as a size of tire available, just close to it.

Thanks.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 06:11
Registered Member

BF:

Hmm, if i remember correctly (I sold bikes for 8 years before I went back to school) Typical relavent tube sizes are: 1.75-2.25, 1.35-1.75 etc.. You probably have the first on your bike, so anything down to a 1.75 you'll be ok. One way to know for sure is to pull out the tube. The range is usually typed onto it.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 06:18
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 207/188/165
BF:
Progress: 45%

Since you don't have a bike shop near by you can look at
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...reid=&pagename=
this shows a tire that will work for you. I am a big believer in supporting local shops and only go mail order with no other choice.

good luck
dug
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 06:25
Renovation Cub

BF:

Cool. Just looking at the Mountain Equipment Coop site, noticing they list a few sizes that fit, and that specifically seem geared to convert moutain bikes to roll better on the roads.

Thanks for the info, I'm much more equiped now I think. I'll probably look local for a bit, and if not order from MEC. Is there any advantage to certain tires? I notice some support a PSI similar to what I have now, 35-65. One tire on the site supports up to 95 psi. Wondering if there is an advantage there to rolling resistance or not.
Seem pretty cheap upgrading as well which is nice. If I really got into it, I'd probably get a road bike, but for now, 50 bucks on tires sounds pretty good.

Thanks, much appreciated. Any suggestions on a good website with bike info? I'd like to find one that gives maitenance details, since I have never really tuned the bike. It seems to run fine, but there is probably stuff I should be doing to it.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 06:26
Renovation Cub

BF:

Hey Dug, thanks. I try to do local when I can, but so far I don't know any around here except for Walmart/Canadian tire which I don't feel too sorry for if I go online I'll check that site out.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 06:50
Registered Member

BF:

A higher psi means less rolling resistance, meaning it will be easier to go faster. Good luck on your hunt!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 07:14
Renovation Cub

BF:

Thanks. I have found a local shop, and a couple of more in Truro, which is all of 30 minutes away, so I may try the local place today and see what they have/can do for me, and then if not, I'll try the ones in Truror maybe tomorrow since I'm taking the day off.

Higher psi sounds good.
Thanks again.