Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-03-05, 19:20

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 237/236/165 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 1%
Default New To Low Carb Lifestyle

Hi all, this is my first visit here and I decided to join! I've never followed a low carb diet before but I think the low carb lifestyle might help me a lot. I need to lose some weight, and not just a few vanity pounds. I am currently 100 pounds overweight, I'm 5'5", 250 lbs. size 20 and 25 years old. So my ultimate goal is 100 lbs. but I'm making smaller ones and my first goal is to lose 25 lbs. by March 20th. I've got my low carb guidelines and my workout schedule and I'm ready to go!

So if anyone has any tips, advice, words of wisdom, etc. I would really appreciate it!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-03-05, 19:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 247/246/130 Female 5 foot 2.5 inches
BF:47%/32.0%/22.5%

my only advice is to take it one day at a time and remember about induction flu.. when you start low carbing many people hit a patch early on with headaches and other aches and plain yuck feeling... it is from the conversion from a starch based fuel system to a fat based fuel system... it goes away and then you start feeling great
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-03-05, 19:44

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 237/236/165 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:

thanks for the warning I'll keep that in mind!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-03-05, 19:50

Plan: Ketogenic LCHF
Stats: 240/157/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Welcome Tally!

First and most important tip I have is, "Read the Book!" There are several different low-carb plans out there -- you can do some research on the differences/similarities here on this site. You need to choose the one you feel most comfortable with, read the book, keep the book handy at all times for easy reference and follow the plan.

There are folks here who can help you with any questions you have once you decide which plan you intend to follow.

No matter which plan you follow, some things will be common. The "Induction Flu" mentioned above is pretty common for most of us...hard to believe how hooked on sugar we are until we get off of it and go through withdrawal and deal with the effects of detoxing! But it's very temporary and the surge of energy that follows is SO worth it.

Lots of people seem to start low-carbing on their own, with no plan in mind, without reading a book or seeking information...those are the folks who will feel like they aren't losing enough and give up after a few weeks. Congrats to you for looking to inform yourself and for committing to this site.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-04-05, 12:51
Anyone?? Bueller?

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

#6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-04-05, 23:28

Plan: 1
Stats: 110/110/110 Female 111
BF: