Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 14:57

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%
Lightbulb Anyone else Tired during Ketosis?

Ever since I hit ketosis I've been feeling tired and sluggish. I want to sleep like 15 hours and I don't feel like getting up..The only time I ever feel like this is if I miss my thyroid pill, but I have been taking that regurally so it can't be that.. The ketosis is the only change in my body yet so it must be that.. its been a couple of days now... eck

And my carbs are not high at all.. I stay around 18/20..
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 15:11

Plan: SBD/Atkins
Stats: 176.6/172.2/105 Female 62"
BF:40%/40%/18%
Progress: 6%
Default Strange...

Hmmm. I've been bursting with energy since Day 1 but have noticed that I sleep longer than usual now. I used to have tremendous problems falling asleep...usually would lay in bed until 4 or 5 am then sleep until 7 to get ready for work. I've been able to fall asleep at 11 pm every night ever since. I also can only find time to exercise at 10 pm which may be the reason.
Well, good luck and I hope you feel better.

Nancy
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 15:29

Hey thanks It's weird! I keep reading posts where everyone is saying they get tons of energy..I get the opposite..lol my sleep schedule is all messed up too, I sleep at different times almost everyday but I exercise at the same..hmm

Now that you mention it though, A while ago I used to exercise before I went to bed.. and I slept great.. hmm. I could try that, if I had the energy to do that..lol ugh.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 15:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/168/140
BF:
Progress: 48%

Hmmmm....I find the exact opposite happens to me in ketosis...I am full of energy. Almost to the point of feeling "wired" I don't know if I sleep longer, but I definately feel more refreshed in the mornings now. But I'm sure--like almost everything else in life--different things affect different people in different ways!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-02, 08:28

Plan: atkins
Stats: 148/122/115
BF:
Progress: 79%

Hey Slim,

I've been feeling really really tired, too. Actually, I feel half dead!! I've been feeling like this since April

Are u taking your supplements? I am but I don't know why I'm like this Maybe we need more magnesium

Take care

Bebe
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-02, 08:52

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

I used to be tired somewhat, in bed early and sleep until morning. I starting taking 2 potassium tablets a day - now I have more energy and am still sleeping like a baby.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-02, 09:50

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%
Default Tiredness

This is not unusual.

Some feel tired at at first, then absolutely great and then it hits them... Exhaustion all of a sudden, legs aching and even cramps.

This is not Thyroid nor is it Ketosis it is hypokalaemia, or low blood potassium. Because the diet has such a diuretic effect on the kidneys,it often gets rid of enough potassium along with the excess fluid that some people, not all nor all the time, become potassium deficient.

Low potassium can cause all kinds of different symptoms such as tingling, light-headedness, fatigue, muscle aches, and cramps.

If you take a potassium supplement, one of the salt substitutes, this will normally compensate and the symptoms should resolve themselves in a few days as Vbrowne will confirm.

Caution Take medical advice if you are already taking blood pressure medication or diuretics as some of these medicines prevent the body's release of Potassium.

If this works you can call me the salt of the earth
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-02, 09:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 288.4/259.2/220 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 43%

FWIW I don't feel "wired" either, but I have to say that I am now able to get myself into the gym every day without much of a problem. Whereas before I found myself skipping days. So I guess that would have to count as some sort of an increase in energy.
On the other hand, I've also noticed that now I seem to do better with a full eight hours worth of sleep. Prior to LCing I could easily get away with six hours.
Go figure.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-02, 10:28

Plan: Atkins/my own
Stats: 240/237/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 3%

I was on Atkins a couple of years ago and found that I am tired on the diet rather than having more energy like most people. I did just buy some potassium supplements I was saving for when I start PP, but I will start taking them today and see if that helps. This is my 2nd day back on the diet and I already feel sluggish. I remember that the Atkins book does say that some people will feel more tired.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-02, 11:37

Quote:
Originally posted by disneybebe
Hey Slim,

I've been feeling really really tired, too. Actually, I feel half dead!! I've been feeling like this since April

Are u taking your supplements? I am but I don't know why I'm like this Maybe we need more magnesium

Take care

Bebe

Ok so its not just me.. I feel a lil better now..uh sort of lol I take a multi-vitamian, 2 calcium, and 2 potassium a day.. Ugh I feel half dead too!! Like I'm in slow motion. I went to the gym yesterday and I could only do 15mins on the tredmil and when I got off, I actually walked into the wall..I don't think anyone saw it though thank god..LoL

Magnesium..Hmm I'm only getting the 100mg/25% thats in my mulitvitamian a day.. Maybe I should be taking 2 multivitamians now or something? Ugh this gets more and more complicated everyday

Last edited by SlimShAdY : Fri, Jun-07-02 at 11:51.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-02, 11:45

Default Re: Tiredness

Quote:
Originally posted by rustpot
Low potassium can cause all kinds of different symptoms such as tingling, light-headedness, fatigue, muscle aches, and cramps.

Hey thanks rustpot.. Now that you mention it, I have all of those symptoms too The potassium I'm taking says only to take 1 tablet a day, however I've been taking 2 right along... Damn how much do I need of this stuff? lol 5?
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-02, 12:07

Don't forget that you can get potassium from nuts and seeds, cod and halibut, chicken breasts, mushrooms, and avacado.

What I find the most amusing is that Popeye had it right all along.
For potassium and regaining that energy there is nothing better than:

SPINACH

#13   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-02, 12:13

LoL~Popeye

Now I'm even more confused, I eat chicken breast and spinache everyday..only about a 1/2 cup of spinach though..ugh! lol
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-02, 12:16
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 183/169/125
BF:
Progress: 24%

I am so glad you asked that because over the past few days I have REALLY been tired. My usual hrs of sleep are 4-6 hrs. The other day around 4pm I went to sleep and didn't get up until 12am, and that was because I needed water BADLY. I drank 2 glasses and went back to bed and slept until 6am. TOTAL= 14hrs Then last night it hit me again around 7pm and I slept 'til 11pm. Drank some more water. Went back to bed 'til 6am. Browsed the net 'til 7:30am, laid back down and didn't get back up 'til 12:30pm. TOTAL= 16hrs That's a far cry from my normal 4-6 hrs...

Thanks to the advice from Rustpot & everyone that replied to your question, I'm going today to see about getting some more potassium

Thanks again for asking and I hope you get to feeling more energetic soon!
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-02, 12:30

For more details on Potassium and how much there is in Spinach.
http://www.livingheart.com/dietreso...h_potassium.asp