Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-01, 12:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/210/145
BF:
Progress: 7%
Angry Heartburn

Last night I thought I was gonna die! I had heartburn soooooo bad I just started back on the program this week and I'm not sure what caused it) - didn't have this problem when I first started this WOE. Any suggestions? I can't go another night like that!!!

Here is what I ate yesterday:
Breakfast: 1 HB egg, 2 slices bacon
Lunch: spinach salad with blue cheese, pecans and turkey
Dinner: 2 fried eggs, 2 slices bacon, 1 slice whole wheat bread with melted cheese
Snack: jello
Water: lots and lots

That's it - nothing out of the ordinary for me. What's up

Charyl
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-01, 13:15

Plan: Predominantly Atkins
Stats: 320/260/145
BF:
Progress: 34%

Bacon always gave me heartburn, but that might just be me. What did you drink at your meals and between? Anything carbonated? Anything with lemon juice?

Sh'ra
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-01, 13:24
Registered Member

Stats: 215/210/145
BF:
Progress: 7%

Just drank water -I can't figure it out but I feel it coming on again and I'm not happy

Today I've had 2 scrambled eggs with 2 slices bacon (this has never affected me before!)
Lunch was another spinach salad with turkey
I've had a whole lotta water and nothing else!

Maybe its just alot of protein that's taking extra work to digest?

Not sure what to do next but I can't take another night like last night!

Charyl
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-01, 03:18

Plan: my own
Stats: 164/125/125 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 100%

I suffered from heartburn for the first few weeks of LCing. I have found that cutting out processed foods to be the key for me. ie, bacon. I can barely stand the taste of salt now. I only like freshly ground sea salt now! what's happening to me??? I'm turning into my mother! a foodie snob! Doods.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-22-01, 04:55

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 230/136/136 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I do sympathise, heartburn is horrible.
I had it intermittently for years - often linked to stress - and I was hopeful that low carb would cure it , as all posts indicated it would !
however, I found no difference during my first few weeks low carb , maybe even worse. Water made it 100 times worse ! then I was advised to add more fat to my diet. Having been low fat for many years ( while steadily gaining weight I might add !!) Instant cure. I now have to really think about it to add the fats, but it works a treat. the only thing nowadays to set me off is decaff. coffee. one small cup I can tolerate.If I have too much, one teaspoon of olive oil cures it.
Adding extra olive oil, and mock Danish for breakfast have really helped.. best of luck....
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-22-01, 06:09

Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default heartburn

I'm just the opposite....it I touch chocolate or sweeties, heartburn is my punishment.

Anytime I've ever lost weight my heartburn disappears. Sometimes it just takes a few pounds.... I can always tell if I have gained any weight at all....my heartburn returns very easy.

That's just me....not sure anyone else's heartburn is related to weight as well as what they eat.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-22-01, 08:30
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 231.5/189/150
BF:
Progress: 52%

Prior to this WOE, I suffered daily w/ heartburn. It was definetly the combination of eating fat and carbs together. I was popping Tums several times a day. I kept them in the kitchen, in my purse, in the bedroom and in my car. I was so fearful that I had a really serious medical condition. During Induction I was still plagued, although to a lesser degree. Now I haven't had a single symptom in 6 weeks ... what a relief.