Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 18:28

Plan: Atkins Now/ Candidias Control 2003
Stats: 210/203/140
BF:47%
Progress: 10%
Default Sugar addicted uncle

The other day, after watching my Uncle who was over visiting, scarfing down a huge bag of jujubs 5 pounds worth, and scratching his arms, because he has a fungus infection. I jumped on my soap box, and toted all the benefits of low carbing.

( I suspect he has Candidisis)

As he was listening, and scratching and chewing... he started to try to inturrupt me, but I just kept on. My Aunt listening intently, understood, just how logical this WOE is.

He has been to the doctor for the fungus and the doctor gave him a cream, but said it would take a long time to clear up.

I told him, to stay away from the sugar, and wheat ( he sees that the wheat bloats him up) But he says, I don't want to as it tastes good.

I said, I guess your taste buds are more important to you than your health then!!

After I got off my soap box, and the subject had changed, my Aunt wanted to know what book to get, because she can see how much better I am. ( Hardly any asthma attacks - wheat is one of my big triggers).

I am a recovering sugar addict..... and I thought I could help my Uncle. I guess... you can only help those who want to help themselves!!!!!

Thanks for taking the time to read this!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 19:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Yeah, it's frustrating but at least your aunt heard you. And she's the one who may be able to influence your uncle. So the message may get through. Just try to remember how strange a concept LC was at first. I didn't believe I could LIVE without bread and pasta. Your example is the best proof.

#3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-28-02, 07:55

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Have you ever known an addict who could be "convinced out" of their addiction? The best you can do is to serve to make them aware of it, but they are the ones who have to chose to break it.
I think Tofi is right...your aunt probably has the best chance of convincing your uncle to give it a shot. Maybe it would be helpful to support her (or even point her to this forum) to aid her efforts?