Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-27-04, 15:31

Plan: Drs Bernskins
Stats: 260/232.4/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:lots
Progress: 28%
Smile buddy or buddies needed to beat the holiday blues

Hi!
I am looking for a buddy or buddies to help me make it thru the holidays as I get the blues big time and will often binge.

I think it would be great if "we" could come in here and share feelings but also list at least 3 things we are grateful for that day.

Maybe it would help??? I dunno but I don't think it could hurt.

Any takers

Nancy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-27-04, 22:53

Plan: atkins
Stats: 186/183/130 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

Hi! I think that is a wonderful idea and you can count me in, I'm new this is induction day 6 and so good so far. I fell off the wagon after doing my version of atkins for a month and gained 5 of the 15lbs i lost back. I have a short term goal of 10lbs by Dec 24 and 30 by March 1. Today I am thankful of not giving in to the craving of chocolate chip cookies, finding this forum, and lc buddies.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-28-04, 10:26
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

Hey! I'd love to work with someone here. I started school this year and have ...well pretty much been binging from the start. It's beginning to worry me... it's been worrying me for some time but I need to do something about it before it ruins me and I have to buy fatter clothes than the ones I've already had to buy. Holidays make it worse.
Here I am, I hope we can be some support to one another
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-28-04, 11:47

Talking Yippee!

Hi Meg and Hapee

So happy to see you ladies!!! Didn't know if this was the right forum to post this challenge in but I got 2 buds and am very grateful

I am dealing with the holiday blues right now that make me want to binge...in fact I did eat 2 pieces of apple pie last noc but refuse to beat myself up over it. I am back on induction level carbs until Christmas eve dinner.

I usually gain anywhere from 10-15 lbs over the holidays and I don't want that to happen this year as onederland was a difficult trip for me!!!

So the 3 things I am grateful for today are: Meg & Hapee
This forum
That I went back on induction
today.

Thanks for responding! I will be looking forward to your posts and visit me anytime at my journal.

Happy Sunday and hugs to both of you,
nancy
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-28-04, 19:46

BF:

MOONDANZR AND MEG S Hi guys, I wanted to say don't feel bad on the carbs just it up. Just kidding, really. I wanted to use that icon so bad. Anyways today was a good day for me. I didn't live to eat, I ate to live. I posted something on diet caffeine free cokes and got a few replies of people doing it and still losing, so that's my bad habit. I'm still getting my water in though. Do u guys use fitday?, It really helps me if I have to type in what I ate b4 I eat it and see the carbs for the day . The three things I'm grateful for are you 2 ladies to my head with plenty of lc advice, and cheering me on when I do great , deciding to give Atkins another try, and sausage and eggs, No really they totally fill you up even though I've been eating them for a whole week.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-29-04, 09:15
Registered Member

Ok.. the grateful list today

1) It is a gorgeous sunny beautiful amazing day outside, it makes me smile to look out the window
2) I'm grateful to have so much knowledge about my own body. I know what it takes, and I know myself very well. A lot of people are not in tune to their bodies.. and I also have an infinite research database at my fingertips
3) A plummer is coming this morning, and believe me.. it can't wait another few hours. I'm lucky for that

I talked to my husband last night.. hes going to be a bit of a nuisance for me and keep me on track. One of my weak points is that we'll eat together and I'll get soft and decide to eat what he is eating.. "just for one meal is not a big deal" and it all goes down hill from there. I go back for a second helping and add several naughty items to my plate, and then after dinner the bingies start.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-29-04, 16:43

Talking Hi Buds!

I just got on line and say the posts from you ladies and that really did make me smile
Hapee: for some strange reason the pukie guy and the bashing guy are my fav smilies too. Hmmm wonder what a shrink would say about that?
Actually I have done the anorexic bit and the binge and purge bit. Now just binge eat... (just binge eat she says).
I have a feeling you ladies are alot younger than I but don't think that matters much as we all share a common problem.
I am a disabled nurse and binge ate my way from 135 (too skinny for me I realize now) to 260 in a little more than a year. . Now, that is heavy binging! I think I was trying to commit suicide via junk food but lost my fiancee when I became disabled with fibromyalgia and lost my job as a well paying nurse to collecting SSDI at about 1/4 of my usual income
You ladies will probably hear me bitch and moan from time to time as I do get the blues and ya can tell me to get over it anytime ya want but I want this to be a safe place to share our blue days but if we list 3 things that we are grateful for than I know for me it shows me that life...altho tough at times...isn't all bad.
Meg: great for you that you have a DH that can help you with the eating. Mine cannot/does not and altho he is plump but not obese eats junk and stays within the same 2 lbs...how rude is that
Oh, and hapee...I am a caffeine diet coke freak too. Almost always get my water in as I don't allow myself to drink soda until I take in 64 oz...that amount is all I strive for..if I drink more than great but I am a soda and a coffee fiend but have managed to keep the coffee in the AM and half caff now. And I do use fitday faithfully to compute carbs and calories as if I take in too many cals...I won't lose.

OK things I am grateful for today.

1. It was a beautiful mild sunny day and DH took me shopping and bought me some beautiful silver jewelery (I love silver)
2. that my "smaller" jeans that I just bought a month ago snug fit are getting a little too loose
3. For finding your posts when I can online.
4. For finding this forum and for the LC buds I have made.
5. for staying on plan yesterday and so far today.
6. That I have more than 3 things to be thank-ful for today

Hugs to you both...this help from you is so important to me.
nancy
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-30-04, 08:30
Registered Member

Moondanzr I am a lot younger, but we're all women and we all have our "stuff" in the closet that we're somewhat uncomfortable with. Eating+emotional patterns, destructive behaviour etc. I'm glad you started this thread as a safe place to just be open - to talk about what we need to, and to listen without negative judgement. We can all learn from each other.

My husband is German, and his nickname for me is Maus. He says I am like a cute maus.. which is funny because I am definitely not small (5 10"), and do not have a ...well mousy character in the sense that could be imagined at first. Anyway....Heheh I came home last night from school after 11pm and Andy was in bed, like he said he would be. And there was a yellow sticky on the fridge door handle that said "Hi Sexy.... you are not on your way into the fridge are you??? and then there was a picture of a really fat Maus underneath it" It made my night! Of course I was on my way into the fridge to sneak a small bite of something. I always want to eat when I get home from school.

When I was younger (before finding low carb, getting married, and growing up and healing emotionally - ha! in that order) I actually WANTED to be anorexic. I thought that it would be great to be so skinny and actually have to gain weight, and that it wouldn't be an issue if I could at least lose it. But I was too much of a binger, there was no way I could restrict myself from eating. I would have done the purge thing but I don't throw up easily, and it would have taken a lot of effort and pain to actually make myself puke for that first time (I tried enough times).

My husband is pretty skinny. Well, from a climber's standpoint he's fat - because climbers need to see many striations before someone is acceptable, but to a normal American person he's pretty thin. He was not supportive of low carb when I first started dabbling in it, but saw the results and my passion for finding real information - not just believing exactly what a certain book told me, and I won him over. He now trusts that what information I have is pretty accurate and generally comes to me with questions, knowing I can find the answer if I don't have it. Not that he really DOES anything with his diet except tell me he wants meat for dinner lol.

This is getting long.
1) I'm grateful for the little fat Maus picture on the fridge
2) I'm grateful to have gotten wonderful WONDERFUL bodywork at school last night from Frank
3) I'm grateful to be down 7 lbs since Sunday - water yes, but it still makes a size difference and it's fun.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-30-04, 11:29

Talking Hi

Hi Meg

And thanks for the long post!!! I don't think we need to feel we have to restrict our posts. Sometimes voimeting (there's that little puke man again ) stuff up in journaling can help me from binging and purging...altho I don't purge anymore....I was more into to binge and then starve. And I like having a lot of the stuff here than in my journal as a lot of the folks that visit my journal don't have the same food issues that I do...or issues with the holidays but with you and Hapee I have kindred spirits.

I am glad you are emotionally healing! and that you have what sounds to be a most loving and supportive DH and I love the name for you and the cute little "fat maus" he put on the fridge...I think that shows a lot of caring.

I am 54 and am just beginning to heal emotionally from my food addiction. I have finally found out that it is not about the damn food but about how I am feeling. I do still binge at times but I stick with this forum and find that the binges are shorter in lenght...involve less food...and I go longer between binges. So healing is going on. I am also in counseling and as I deal with the feelings instead of "eating" them I find alot of depression and anger

I began being anorexic at age 12 when I began to develope a woman's body. It never occurred to me that I was fat until my mother began calling me that. Why? I really don't know as I was 5'7" with a large frame and at that time weighed 118 soakin' wet and constipated. I look back at the pics and see this skinny kid and wonder why she said that???? Maybe she was uncomfortable with me developing a woman's body??? But that began my love/hate relationship with food and my self hate as I felt...even as an adult in her early 40's that if I ate more than 1 cup of sugar free yoguert a day and a large salad that I was eating too much...and I was a well respected nurse that would never allow one of her patients to survive on that

But the holidays bring back painful stuff for me and I do overeat. So far 2 days of eating on program.

OK 3 things I am grateful for:

1. DH is doing the housework for me as I am having a bad day pain wise.

2. LC chocolate when I am having a give me a piece of chocolate day or you die day!

3. Two days of my carbs, calories and water at goal.

4. Finding safe folks to share my eating craziness with.
Hugs to both of you and thanks for being here.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-30-04, 12:20

Plan: NS
Stats: 300/294/160 Female 5'5-1/2"
BF:Yup, it's there
Progress: 4%

Hi, "guys" - Over here... here I am...

Is it okay if I join your holiday blues group too? I actually came to the forums today because "it" was starting... Not so much the need to binge or eat, but rather the "sad" (kind of hard to explain) feeling I get every year around this time - usuallly starts the end of October and well, down hill from there.

I figure at least here I won't have to keep that constant happy face and the whole world is wonderful look on - any of you know that one?

Anyway.... don't have a whole lot of time to get into much now, but just wanted to stop by and say hello and at least get started.

My day's thankful's include:

1. No calls from my son's school today and the day is almost over.

2. I won $30 on a lottery ticket, so I can BUY MORE EGGS.

3. I'm seven days into a cheat free period and feeling better than this time
last week.

4. That I found this post from Nancy... must have been an "omen."

Nancy
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Nov-30-04, 19:49

BF:

HOLA guys, and welcome nancy! I normally get the blues around the winter too, I read in the paper that a lot of people suffer depression because of the lack of sunlight so maybe we're not alone and it's more than just the holidays. I'm 30 years old and have 2 girls, I work at a job I hate(ladies locker room at a country club) it is very boring, I have a friend who just moved on up and while I'm happy 4 her, I'm envious. I know that is bad but I can't help it. I'm one of those people who pretend to be happy all the time but am not. I'm glad that I can come on here and be real about what's bothering me. I will try to stay uptempo and that's just bcause I've done it so long it's hard sometimes. I feel if I say I'm wonderful, doing great enough times I'll feel that way. I have a sweetheart, been with for 8 years, daughter together, but will probaly never get married, depressing sometimes, but sometimes I don't want him to be my husband- too many probs. Right now the only thing getting me down is going to the store and not being able to fit in the pants because my butt is so huge, but I'm working on that. I'M GRATEFUL THAT I LEARNED TO TYPE IN HIGH SCHOOL, I HAVE 2 BEAUTIFUL CHILDREN THAT ARE WELL MANNERED AND BEHAVED, AND SOMEONE WHO LOVES ME AND IS ATTRACTED TO ME EVEN THOUGH CHARTS SAY IM OBESE
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Nov-30-04, 22:01

Unhappy

Quote:
I have a friend who just moved on up and while I'm happy 4 her, I'm envious. I know that is bad but I can't help it. I'm one of those people who pretend to be happy all the time but am not. I'm glad that I can come on here and be real about what's bothering me. I will try to stay uptempo and that's just bcause I've done it so long it's hard sometimes.

Well Hapee what you call "bad" I call very human. I also have a friend that I am very envious of. She is a year my senior..makes her 55...and she is unmarried with a 32 year old lover. <sigh> Does not mean I do not love DH but he is 62...need I say more And here I am laughing at my own place to bitch as I am trying to be upbeat but I'm not.
I feel very depressed and crappy right now so I will have a good bitch for myself.
The weather is changing and my fibromyalgia pain is off the charts despite me taking muscle relaxors and my max dose of pain med that I need in the fall and winter. My summer medication is very light as the pain is not so bad. But with the amount of medication I would think I would be sleeping but cannot due to pain....can't even begin to get comfortable.
I think I am having a mid-life crisis or something as I don't know if I want to be married anymore...doesn't mean I want to leave DH...just wish I could lock him in a closet and see what it is like to be single again. Maybe it sucks...I don't know but I see my g/f with 3 lovers and even tho I am older I still think I am pretty cute.
But don't want to be alone either so.....at a stand off and probably will just bitch about it.
Hapee I think this is a safe place to not act happy when you are not...look at the load of stuff I just wrote!!!
But better this than making french fries which I was seriously thinking of doing.
And you are very correct the lack of sun does have something to do with this. I am a 5 year student of Svaoopa yoga and my instructor always tells me if it is sunny get outside in the sun without sun glasses...I do it but can't say it really helps any. Some of these feelings I am sure are due to the lack of sun, the holidays, and of course that I am really depressed right now. Depression does lift...I know that and this will too but right now it is very painful.
Enough of me... Nancy I am glad you joined us and am hope our little group can help you. Feel free to vent away!!!
OK I already said 3 things I was happy for today but perhaps I should list 3 more.
1. For DH and all the crap the dear man takes from me...my depression and disability are not easy on him...no wonder the guy doesn't want sex every day Sorry guys...couldn't help that
2. For 3 loving purring furball felines that keep me company when the fibromyalgia has me bedridden.
3. For this forum and being able to bitch here cause now I don't want french fries.
Hugs to all and hope tomorrow is a good day for all of us!
Nancy
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Dec-01-04, 04:26
Registered Member

hey.. I don't know if you guys have ever visited the site, but www.mercola.com seems to be a wealth of information, I'd recommend checking it out and doing some searches for things you'd be interested in, ie: fibrimyalgia, sun + health etc.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Dec-01-04, 16:56

Smile 12/1/04

[Hi all,

A good night sleep makes problems seem much better the next day and I finally got some zzzz's and once the rain did arrive my pain level dropped. It is the different weather fronts coming in that bother me.

Meg--thanks so much for that link. I did go into it but really want to spend some time looking around and I should say that going out in the sun like my yoga instructor suggests does help some...just not as much as I would like.

Anyway, the 3 things I am grateful for today are:

1. My pain level dropping from a level 8 to a level 4.

2. My counselor Fred who helps me see things less distorted and that life is not as bad as I think.

3. Running into a very dear friend who I love dearly and haven't seen for a couple of years and will spend time with them on Saturday.

4. HiFive recipe for taco less tacos

5. A decent nocs sleep!

Hope all are having a great day!
Hugs,
Nancy
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Dec-01-04, 20:33

BF:

I'm glad you feel somewhat better moondanzr. NOW, LET'S GET TO THE BITCHING, My car broke down. In fact, it broke down 4 mths ago, after I only had it for 5 mths the piece of shit. I have to ride home with someone who's doing a tremendous favor, she takes the kids to daycare for me on the way to work, we work in the same area but she doesn't always say what she means like she may be tired of picking me up, mind u her man and mine work there also, so she has to come to pick him up anyway. We get off at 3:30pm and she gets off at 4 or she did when my car worked, now as in today she came to pick me up at after 6. You could say I was pissed but hey what am i going to do WALK. It's late now and I can't talk long tell u later but I can feel where you're coming from on the friend and her friends. Oh well, we're lucky, it's rough out there, I'm 30 my man 25 i was at the bus stop and this young fool, yes fool was talking about how big my butt was. STUPID WITH NO GAME anyhow Im grateful for fried chicken I know i'm not supposed to have it and for excedrin migraine for my damn headache, and for you all again