Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-02, 20:25

Plan: low carb
Stats: 250/250/180 Female 5 feet 11
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Muscles always tense

Hi-

I'm into my 4th week on Atkins, I take vitamins/supplements, drink tons of water, stretch before I walk....yet my muscles are really tense. I've noticed this past week that my legs especially are tense all of the time. And for the past two days I get these odd cramps in my rib area.

I'm taking 400 mg of potassium...should I up it? Any idea what could be going on?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-15-02, 09:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%

I would say U R getting enough potassium but what about calcium-magnessium? U mayneed more of that...it will help with the muscles aches and pains.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-15-02, 12:43

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%
Default electrolytes

I think Gwilson is right it is usually a sign of loss of electrolytes like potassium, calcium and magnesium.

The higher protein low carb has a natural diuretic effect and promotes peeing as well as the extra water coming on board. You may want to try bottled mineral water instead, if you are using tap water, as these tend to be richer in the electrolytes.

I often think there are enough supplement tablets around and you perhaps do not want to rattle as well.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-15-02, 13:33

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Muscles always tense

Quote:
Originally posted by oceangirl
I've noticed this past week that my legs especially are tense all of the time. And for the past two days I get these odd cramps in my rib area.

Potassium is generally helpful for fatigue -continue with your 400mg that should be sufficient.

What you need for the cramping is magnesium. Preferably magnesium w/ calcium. Look for a supplement that contains both in a ratio of 2:1 (333mg cal/167 mg magnesium) Take one tablet with each meal (1 x 3 meals) and one an hour before bed. Magnesium has a very soothing effect and will help improve the quality of your sleep. Your minerals should be chelated - they are better apsorbed this way.

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-16-02, 18:54

Plan: low carb
Stats: 250/250/180 Female 5 feet 11
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Hey Nat~

Thanks for the post- I checked the stats and I am taking 1 chelated calcuim/magnesium tablet a day- and it says that I should be taking 2!!! And each tablet contains: calcium=1,000 mg per tablet and magnesium=500 mg per tablet. So that's about (if I start taking 2!!) 2,000 for calcium and 1,000 magnesium.

Is that enough? So much to remember...lol.

Thanks