Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 14:58

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 220/170/130
BF:
Progress: 56%
Thumbs up New to Site--Doing Atkins Since Jan.7th and will forever...

Hi. I have been doing Atkins since January 7th. Thankfully my best friend began the program with me. We were both sick the first three days--tired, fluish. I weighed myself on the fifth day and I had lost 16 pounds! I am sure much was water.

I spoke to my doctor regarding Atkins, I received encouragement to continue on the program.

I am still doing 20 grams of carbs a day. I work out five days a week, 20 minutes of cardio and 40 minutes of weights each day. I feel great! I have lost 39 pounds (well, the last time I weighed myself, which was about 10 days ago). I am trying to focus on measurements.

The most exciting thing for me is that my insulin has dropped dramatically. A year prior to the program my insulin was 43, I was told 20 would be high normal. I was put on medformin, and after six months my insulin was 33. After three weeks on the Atkins diet I had my blood work done again. My insulin came back at 21!

I did not have Type II Diabetes (yet) and now I know I won't ever.

My friend's weight is coming off slower, and she is often discouraged, but then is encouraged by the difference in me. Also, we both feel the difference--cravings are gone and we never overeat! It is amazing.

I am still at 20 grams of carbs a day because of my insulin resistance and I have a lot of weight to lose, hopefully another 70 pounds or so.

Anyways...enough about me, I am going to go read other posts.
Bye.
Nikegirl
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 15:09

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

Welcome, Nikegirl. What a story! It's always nice to read about successes, and from people with such a high level of motivation.

The insulin news is as good (if not better!) than the weight loss.

I hope you'll post often so we'll be able to keep up with you
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 17:41

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Greetings and welcome aboard!

You are on your way to becoming one of the poster children for LC! Way to GO!

It's especially good to hear about your bloodwork. That's fantastic. Are they going to take you off the medicine and see how you do?

Keep encouraging your friend to stick with it - maybe she could join the forum as well. It's a fabulous place for information and support.

Keep the Faith.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 17:50
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%
Cool

G'day Nikegirl, your stats are wonderful - 36 lbs already!
I started a week before you and can certainly feel for your friend. Does she have less to lose than you?
It's great to meet you, post often and keep us up to date.
I agree with Bill, see if you can get your mate to join us, too.
Cheers.

Rosebud
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 21:11

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 220/170/130
BF:
Progress: 56%

You all are so encouraging. Thank you.

My friend, Shirley, does have less to lose than I do. She has lost twenty pounds so far. She is planning to join this site.

As far as the meds go...my doctor wants me to remain on medformin for awhile--he figures it will continue to help me lose weight also. Unfortunately I am also on a med for high blood pressure, and an antidepressant for a sleep disorder that I have had since I was a teen. My hope is that I can be off all of the meds--the antidepressant, I may not be able to be off, but we'll see. My blood pressure is under control, but I will remain on the meds for awhile longer--how long I'm not sure.

Till later...
Nikegirl

#6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 11:11

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

hi--adding my welcome and congratulations for that major drop in insulin! whoo hoo! It's so nice you have a local support person. Definitely have her sign up. There are slower losers than her here...so maybe if she sees all of us marching forward, even when we have eight-months stalls (yes, people do!), she'll feel heartened.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 11:30
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%
Default WOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!!

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I just LOVE to read stories like yours!!!! Thanks so much for joining our forum.

I just have to add a hearty HIGH FIVE to you, girly!! Look at you with all that exercise!! You are one determined lady!! I can't wait to see your before and after pictures from time to time!!

What an inspiration you are!! Congratulations!

Terry
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 11:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 223/209/200 Male 73 in
BF:
Progress: 61%

nikegirl.

Welcome and congrats. LC living has cured most of my sleep issues, and is known to give good sleep totally outside of meds. Those meds should be trimmed to nothing with doctor's help. The blood pressure med and the metaformin are probably both countering the same thing that the LC is solving. Depression may again become an issue as you normalize at your goal weight or at some weight loss plateau. Periodically I feel down in the mouth since I have been in maintenance. The key is probably to determine if the depression is causing the sleeplessness, or whether the lack of sleep is causing the depression. For me, tiredness and the feeling that I could not be mobile was the worst trigger for pre LC depression and anger. Both are resolved. Anyway, you'll need a close supportive friend to give you good trusted advice when you get off the depression meds as they will see the results of your depression before you. Better catching that early in my opinion.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 11:38
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%
Default WOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!!

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I just LOVE to read stories like yours!!!! Thanks so much for joining our forum.

I just have to add a hearty HIGH FIVE to you, girly!! Look at you with all that exercise!! You are one determined lady!! I can't wait to see your before and after pictures from time to time!!

What an inspiration you are!! Congratulations!

Terry
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 12:22

Plan: Atkins induction AGAIN...
Stats: 242/197/199 Female 5'8.5"
BF:ALOT
Progress: 105%

Welcome aboard.....the health benefits far outweigh (no pun intended) everything else. Good luck in your weightloss journey and journey to new and improved health.

Cindy