Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 23:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/248/160 Female 5'4
BF:BigBallaFat
Progress: 2%
Default Does anyone else have this problem?

I keep falling off the wagon because I have to cook for my husband who refuses to eat low carb. He doesn't eat any vegetables (and sadly, neither do I) so he insists on having some starchy food to go with his meat. I was doing so well when he was on this diet with me, but he quit before induction was over, no ifs, ands, or buts. Everytime I say I won't eat ANY but then I tell myself, "just a little bit" and before I know it I've had 100g of carbs! Also, I really can't tell if somethings are all the way cooked and/or seasoned properly without tasting them. One bite leads to two and so forth and so on. It seems that I can watch others eating without much of a problem, it is just that standing over them is getting to me. HELP!!

How does everyone get through fixing carbs and not eating them?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 00:01
Registered Member

Stats: 189/183/154 Female 5' 6"
BF:Too Much
Progress: 17%

Hi Frog,

I know how difficult it can be having to deal with cooking high carb food and trying to not eat any! I have three young children to cook for (my husband and I are both, luckily, both doing Atkins) and it can get pretty tempting with hot chips, pasta, baked potatoes, etc etc. I have given in on occasion but got the punishment I expected on the scales the next day and sometimes it can take 2 or 3 days (or longer) to get back to the weight I was before the cheat. To me, now, that is enough incentive to leave the carbs alone. I don't want to give up Atkins and have to count calories - it didn't work for me before so I feel I've got to respect the Atkins way and just not give in.

Sorry, no real answer for your dilemma here except really ascertain why your LC'ing and your aims and then decide if the carbs are a stronger force than your desired end result!!

Take care,
Omo
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 02:04
Contributing Member

Stats: 216/210/195 Male 5'9
BF:
Progress: 29%
Exclamation will power

2 words... " will power ". Enough said. How are you to accomplish your goals if you keep giving in to food? Is that momentary bite of food worth another day or more of not fitting into you clothes? Is it worth the mental aggrivation and guilt after you eat it? NO!

Fix your food before your husband. If you have to, eat you food first so you'll be full and not be tempted to eat any of his. Expain to him that you want to be serious about this diet (WOE) and you need his support. I'm sure he won't be saying " oh, it's ok honey.. one bite won't hurt you", when he knows it will. It's one thing for him to do induction or not. You're goals are another. Keep things in perspective.

Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 02:17
CAD for life

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 193/163.5/125 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 43%

Hello..kinda can undersatnd my Dh wants potatoes or rice or something starchy with dinner. I like vegies so i fix the meat and a salad and the vegies I pick low carb ones we both like and put cheese on it even the kids will try some with cheese
And then I make a boxed starch like rice a roni...a boxed flavored rice or scalloped potatoes from the box that way its all in the mix no taste testing required
If I need to taste something I call DH in and have him taste it

You know its hard not to eat something you love...but I loooove being thinner so i just never allow myself one little taste....like it was something I was deathly allergic too
Good Luck...a supportive hubby was probably the most cruital element in my low carb sucess
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 03:06
Yo-Yo

Plan: Lighter Life
Stats: 284/234/167 Female 5 foot 10 inchs
BF:yes very!!!

I know how hard it can be, I was having to cook 2 meals with my dh, He is a carb Monster (although he has now been on the diet just over a week!!) I am not going to say will power because everybody is different and if we all had will power so strong none of us would be over weight!!
There is not a lot of veggies or salad I do like so i concentrate on what I do, jazz them up with melted cheese or a knob of butter (veg) salads loads of mayo and greated cheese. even if you have to eat before your hubby whilst his is cooking, if your full enough it wont be tempted. Get him to tast food to see if it is cooked or to his liking after all its him thats gonna be eating it!! (or better still get him to make his own lol)
At the end of the day there is only one person who can make you sucseed or fail on this WOE and thats you!! SO GO FOR IT!!

GOOD LUCK
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 03:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins For Life
Stats: 176/159.5/130 Female 5'2"
BF:Unwanted Rolls
Progress: 36%

Have him do his own cooking or at least be involved in the foods you want to stay away from. Maybe get take out for just those items. Point out to him that you want health for both of you and if he does not agree he can eat his meals out! Myself, if he didn't like what I was making for dinner he wouldn't have to eat it, but I wouldn't be cooking for him if it was going to sabotage my eating plan. Tell him to stop being selfish and support you.

In my opinion it is not about will power it is about choices. I am not saying it is easy to make food you love without tasting or having some, etc., but,
you either make the choice to this WOE or not.

Think before the fork or spoon goes in your mouth and picture the end goal you have in mind.

You don't always have to give those foods up......just for now until you can control them into your eating plan.

Last edited by RedheadFl : Wed, Jul-30-03 at 03:14.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 03:36
Yo-Yo

Plan: Lighter Life
Stats: 284/234/167 Female 5 foot 10 inchs
BF:yes very!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedheadFl
Have him do his own cooking or at least be involved in the foods you want to stay away from. Maybe get take out for just those items. Point out to him that you want health for both of you and if he does not agree he can eat his meals out! Myself, if he didn't like what I was making for dinner he wouldn't have to eat it, but I wouldn't be cooking for him if it was going to sabotage my eating plan. Tell him to stop being selfish and support you.

In my opinion it is not about will power it is about choices. I am not saying it is easy to make food you love without tasting or having some, etc., but,
you either make the choice to this WOE or not.

Think before the fork or spoon goes in your mouth and picture the end goal you have in mind.

You don't always have to give those foods up......just for now until you can control them into your eating plan.

I totally agree with red head very well said!!
You can do it and You know you can!!
again Good Luck
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 03:44

Plan: atkins/bernstein
Stats: 105/105/105 Female 63ins
BF:
Progress:

one more thing, the longer you resist the tempation, the easier it will get. i can,t remember what potatoes or pasta etc tastes like.
i do have to cook for dh, son and grandkids every day (not low carb) but am no longer tempted.

christine
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 06:24
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

I agree with Red, Hey I am the cook in the house, this is the meal I am putting on the table. If he wants something else he can make it himself. And he can get all the carbs he wants at lunch. I am certain he will eat what is put in front of him. And if he complains, put a bag of bread on the table in front of him. After you drop more and more weight see if he doesn't decide to go back on the plan.

But it this causes to much stress, not worth ending a marrige over, you can look to other weight loss plans.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 06:50
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 307.3/293.0/185 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 12%

Well I am fortunate not to have kids right now. But in regards to my hubby. he offers me stuff and I jsut say no. And when I refused he use to pout. That took a long time to be able to do.

But one way to get away from the food is my husband prepares his own meals and that is it. We eat together but he does his own meals. Then that is enough.

I also developed other snacks as in pepperoni, salami, ham and turkey. But pepperoni and salami are like eating potatoe chips and chocolate bars to me. I love eating them. Other things i will add after the induction phase is over will be banna peppers, olives, and pickles.

But really broke me of it is detoxing and fasting. The hardest thing to do is fast when someone else is eating infront of you. So during different times of detoxicing (did for 9 months) I told my husband hide your snacks so I can't find them. Cause if it is not in the house back then I would not go out and buy it.

It just takes time. The biggest thing is if you cheat forgive yourself. The more you carry that struggle of not cheating with you the harder it will be. Same with the guilt of cheating it will be hard.

On atkins their was a lady with a temptation issues. What she would do is entertain the thought of having some later. Then when later came she would say again not right now maybe later. But she honestly meant she might have some later. But it was enough to pacify her mind and cravings.

Lastly it took me time to realize what I really wanted. Did I want to eat and be this weight or did I want to embrace another type of body. The more I revelled in having the body I wanted the more the struggle wasn't there. Also the more I was open to hearing the answers from my own body as to what it trully needed inorder to loose weight. There where reasons why I hung onto my weight psychology wise. Now there really isn't a reason.

Good luck to you,

Sacred

Last edited by sacred : Wed, Jul-30-03 at 13:56.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 12:32

Stats: 250/248/160 Female 5'4
BF:BigBallaFat
Progress: 2%

Thanks everyone, for your ideas. I'm happy to know that I'm not alone in this, although, I still want to rip hubby's head off!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 13:36
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%
Angry Let him pout...

Continue to make nutritious meals you and the kids can enjoy. I've found a few convenience foods that help when my kids want carbs, and I'm feeling "weak" to them. Schwans has single-serve stuffed potatoes, and there are many others on the market that you take out individual portions of. They each get their potato, and no leftovers, tasting, etc. for ME to endure.

My daughter is getting better at making the "starches" herself, too. I'm in charge of the meat and veggies, she makes the rice, pasta, or beans. If your hubby wants these foods, maybe he'll have to pitch in.

It's not uncommon for loved ones to sabotage diet efforts... but that's showing HIS insecurity. If he won't change his behavior, you'll have to change yours. Offer him some choices, like helping you cook, then back away. You don't need to suffer because of someone else's issues.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 15:50

Stats: 159/141.7/130 Female 5'7"
BF: LOTS!
Progress: 60%

I cooked normal teenage fare for my daughter the past several years, and I found that I was far more able to resist temptation if I was already full -- so if I made her cookies, I would first eat some string cheese, maybe a large salad, whatever really sounded good -- then I started baking (though I always had a problem with licking the spatula -- I think it was more habit than anything else

I was able to put starches on the table for her at meals, too -- but I made sure that I had plenty of my foods there, and I didn't taste her stuff -- if the seasoning needed adjustment, she had to do it...

No will power, just planning
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 16:04

Stats: 200/???/120 Female 5' 3
BF:way/too/much!!
Progress: 0%

I think the "easiest" way to deal with it is to make sure you have eaten before you cook the tempting foods for him. That way at least you are full and should then be less tempted to sample and taste.

My hubby tends to eat all the bad food that I'm not allowed (ie junk food, rice, pasta etc). If we're sitting down to watch a movie or something I munch on sunflower seeds when he's eating junk food. That way, if I'm eating something, it's easier to avoid the junk food temptation.

When we're sitting down to eat dinner, I just make sure there's a lot of the things I'm allowed and eat to my heart's content.

It's hard to resist the temptation when it's in your face, but it does get easier to do and you will feel a lot better about yourself when you do resist!

Good luck!!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 16:22
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins For Life
Stats: 176/159.5/130 Female 5'2"
BF:Unwanted Rolls
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggiebro
Thanks everyone, for your ideas. I'm happy to know that I'm not alone in this, although, I still want to rip hubby's head off!

Feed him a FROG !