Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 21:45
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 286/284/220 Female 5'7
BF:???????
Progress: 3%
Default Hello From So Cali!!

Hello everyone!!
My name is Cathy and i'm on day 5 of my Atkins induction.Just wanted to say hello and get to know the people of the TDC forum.
I weighed in at 286. My goal is to reach 220 for now.
I just turned 40 and I can't beleive how my knees have started to give me trouble!!
Is there anyone here who can give me a few tips as how to stay on top of my new LC ways?? Any info at all I would greatly appreciate!!
Have a great day!!
Cathy (ivorylady1)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 02:05

Plan: atkins/now CAD
Stats: 250/229/130 Female 63 inches
BF:yes/it/is
Progress: 18%

Welcome aboard Cathy. You'll find a lot of encouragement and support here, I see you've started a journal, that's great.
Best of Luck, and I look forward to seeing you around.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 04:02
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%

Welcome! Hope to see "less" of you, soon!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 07:28

Stats: 400/333/250 Male 5'9
BF:49.5
Progress: 45%

Welcome. You have come to the right place for help and support
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 07:33
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 345/304/240 Male 5'9
BF:20.72 %
Progress: 39%

Hi Cathy, welcome. I can give you a tip that will help you on this WOE. This is not a quick fix diet. If you keep in mind this is a long term solution it will help.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 20:31
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Hi Cathy,

I'm glad you found us! My knees have gotten 100 percent better since I started losing weight.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 05:30

Stats: 379.0/339.0/330.6 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 83%
Welcome.... I wish I could give some advice, but hay, you see I am heavier than you are... I eat PLENTY of meats just to keep that satisfied feeling in my big o tummy But I had the same problem with my knees and as the weight disappears (were does it go... I know... who cares ) my knees hurt less.

Good Luck on induction I am still here myself........ and proably will be on induction until oh March 2004 something like that.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 11:33

Stats: 343/295/160 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 26%

Good luck on your new WOL. I've been doing induction since July (ok, with a few slip-ups along the way) and the main thing that I find is that plenty of variety is what keeps me on the diet. Try not to let yourself get tired of the "free" foods by adding lots of variety to them. That's all I can think of right now.

Once again, Good Luck!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 23:08
Registered Member

You guys are soo cool.THANKS for the encouragement!!
I was bummed yesterday. I was told by some one that we really shouldn't do the LC bars, candy bars, cookies, and tortillas.
Here i am...on my 7th day.No wonder I didn't feel any different!
Today was a good day though. I really monitered what I ate today. I kept it at meat, salad and eggs. Know what? I actually ate less than I have the previous week.Whaddayaknow?? (smile)
I was using the LC bars, etc to add up to my 20 carbs. Know what guys?? It doesn't work!lol. Glad someone explained that to me.
I can and will make it!!
Have a great day!
Cathy (ivorylady1)
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 18:34
? what to put here ?

Plan: Atkins / Calorie counting
Stats: 385/204/195 Male 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 95%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorylady1
You guys are soo cool.THANKS for the encouragement!!
I was bummed yesterday. I was told by some one that we really shouldn't do the LC bars, candy bars, cookies, and tortillas.
Cathy (ivorylady1)
Cathy, they gave you good advice. Dump all that junk. Get a book and
read it or visit the Atkins website. The best source of carbs is your
vegetables.
Drink more water than you think possible. (Your body will soon get used
to it.) Don't worry it works!

Last edited by mikemcginn : Sat, Oct-04-03 at 18:37.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 20:30
Registered Member

Plan: My own custom blend
Stats: 275/254/125 Female 5'2
BF:Plenty, want some?
Progress: 14%

Hi Cathy, welcome aboard. You're starting out at the same weight I was last year when I went on a "diet" at my doc's "suggestion" after I had a physical and bloodwork and asked him for arthritis meds. I was in so much pain, I couldn't sleep at night and was having a lot of trouble getting around. I have osteoarthritis in all the major joints and in my spine, and somedays it hurt terribly just to get out of bed. At 46, I'm too young to feel this old! Well, it took me 2-1/2 weeks to lose 5 lbs on the traditional aproach - low cal/ HC - and I suffered all through the blood sugar swings, constant cravings and hunger. Then I tried LCing and lost an additional 25 lbs in about 2-1/2 months, and felt great while doing it too. Unfortunately after that I let myself get talked out of LC WOE by an "expert" and went back to a "balanced" diet. It took about 5 months, but I put 20 of those 30 lbs I'd lost back on again. I eventually hit the HC skids and starting bingeing on all kinds of junk and feeling like yuck again. That's when I realized that if I didn't make some kind of permanent change, I was going to be an obese slave to HC food for the rest of my life. So I've been LCing for good since July 20th, and while I haven't been perfect, the WOE is now my WOL and I'm feeling pretty enthusiastic about my future.

One thing that really helped me was that I had become a water drinker on my own before LCing, so I didn't have to force myself to drink it. But I still need more than the 4 (16.9 oz) bottles a day I used to consume. Right now I have a rule - when I eat a regular meal I must have only water with it - 1 bottle during and one within half an hour after. I also insist on having one bottle for any snack, and will also drink a bottle while I'm cooking or handling food (keeps my mouth busy) and at least half a bottle before deciding if a desire to eat is legitimate or not (I still have some emotional eating problems). That way I'm almost guaranteed 6-7 bottles daily and usually 1 or 2 more. We have a downstairs fridge in the cellar that's strictly for bulk food and beverage storage, and I keep my water stocked in there so I get some extra exercise going downstairs to get it. Buying bottled water is more expensive than just filling a pitcher or jug every day, but my upstairs fridge is always so overloaded, it just wasn't convenient for me to keep it in there, and sometimes I'd forget to put it in (I like it really COLD). Plus this way, there's no glasses or jugs to wash and I just toss the empties into the recycling bin for pickup. I figure the DH has his beer and the DS's have their OJ and milk (they don't drink much soda anymore) - this is my healthy little luxury. And now my oldest is drinking more water too, so the good habits are rubbing off.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 20:08
Registered Member

So nice to see you Nancy and the others that have stopped by with wonderful advice.I have become better about drinking water, but I will take your suggestion and use it tomorrow.
I have done very well the past several days.EXCEPT FOR SATURDAY.DH and I went to a reggae concert in Malibu and I consumed 2 'SEX ON THE BEACH" alcohol drinks.I felt good at the time .......but once the concert was over, I was very upset with myself. I have a group of marketing directors who are going out this Friday for one of the gal's bdays. I would love to go!! But not with birthday cake there. LOL.
I have not measured nor stepped on a scale. (I don't own one). I'm afraid that if I do I will see either the same or weight gained. Does that make sense?Most people are eager to check but I don't want to.I'm finally starting to feel a little more energetic and my jeans weren't uncomfortably tight.
I do eat a lot of eggs (egg salad) only because I like the taste and it seems to keep me going longer till the next time I want to eat.Hope that egg thing does not apply anymore (the egg warning...high cholesterol)
Have a great day!
Cathy
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 21:42
Registered Member

Plan: My own custom blend
Stats: 275/254/125 Female 5'2
BF:Plenty, want some?
Progress: 14%

I eat eggs several times a week - always have. I don't have the figures (lost the darn paper) but my total cholesterol was fine and the HDL/LDL ratio was very good. I don't think there was a fig's worth of good advice in that one!

Ah stuff happens and life gets in the way sometimes. The main thing is to get right back on the wagon afterward. But, SEX ON THE BEACH?!?! Wow, what's in that drink? I think I would have tried one just to say I had it - imagine how much fun you could have telling people what you did at that concert! I remember when my MIL, FIL (deceased) DH and I used to go out for our B/days (we were all in April) we went to this little restaurant in MIL hometown a lot. They had a drink there called an "orgasm". My MIL and I don't get along that well, but she can be a real character sometimes. She says out loud to the waitress after seeing it on the menu, "Oh yeah, and I want an ORGASM too! And the waitress played right along and said, "Yes ma'am I know, we all do..." I didn't know if I wanted to or but I choked on my water and spit it all over the table. Wish I could remember what was in that drink as well!

Last edited by Lose2Win : Mon, Oct-06-03 at 21:45.