Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-26-02, 18:22
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 183/145/120
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default Why not iron?

Why is my multivitamin not supposed to have iron in it?
(as stated on the Atkins website) "At a minimum, take a good daily multivitamin with minerals, including potassium, magnesium and calcium, but without iron. "

Thanks!

Heather
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-26-02, 19:20
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I'm not sure why Atkins says that, but iron can be constipating. Given that induction on Atkins is also constipating, I wouldn't take iron unless your doctor says you need it.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-26-02, 22:34
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

hi Heather,

A study done in the mid-90's suggested that high levels of stored iron in older men could lead to increased risk of heart disease and blood vessel damage. Studies since then have not been able to duplicate those results; in fact a more recent study showed that higher levels of stored iron were actually protective. Low iron levels are also associated with increased risk of heart disease.

I posted information about this to another member recently, you can read that article here.

In general, younger women who are still menstruating are not likely to have excess stored iron; more likely the opposite. If you've been following the lowfat trend for a while and eating less red meat, there's a chance your iron stores may be low. Athletes and persons engaged in strenuous exercise will use up a lot of iron plus it's lost in sweat ... and may risk having low iron stores.

If you're concerned, check with your doctor.

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-27-02, 01:12
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

There is a genetic disorder that affects one in ten people, but most people aren't aware of it. It permits the iron in your blood to become too strong and there are adverse health effects, though I don't recall what they are. Atkins may be attempting to prevent overdosing for that portion of the population who have this and aren't aware of it.

I have it, though all I ever knew was that the iron in my blood was REALLY strong. So, I only take the mature-blends of multis, because they have lowered, sometimes no, amounts of iron.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-27-02, 10:03
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

It's called hemochromatosis ... and there's mention of it in the article linked to above.

Don't guess though .. if anyone is concerened, a blood test called "serum ferritin" will determine if your iron is too high or too low. Too low is common, especially in younger women and children. I was diagnosed with iron deficiency last winter .. and at that point I'd been LC'ing for a year and a half, eating plenty of red meats and my daily multi did have the RDA of iron in it. The only symptom I had was that my hair was falling out and no new regrowth to replace it. Hair follicles require iron to make a new strand of hair. I just assumed the problem was due to my hypothyroidism.

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-27-02, 11:09

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Doreen,

I had assumed that since we eat so much red meat on this diet that we would be getting enough iron in our diet, so I was never really concerned about my vitamin supplement not having iron. FIgured I was getting enough.

Very intersting fact about your hair needing the iron - next time I go to the Dr., I'll ask her to test my iron. Thanks!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-27-02, 12:03
Registered Member

Stats: 183/145/120
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default Thanks!

Thanks for all the good info! It is great to have access to so many pros!

Heather
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-28-02, 14:42

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Another intersting note - my multi-vitamin has no iron, but my B-Complex does! It has 10mg (56% of USRDA). Definately a reason to check all of your labels and don't assume!