Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 17:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 214/204/140 Female 5'2"
BF:49%/26%/25%
Progress: 14%
Default discovered peanuts!

Hi all!,
I have been having a real hard time with keeping my calories up as some of you know
sometimes I only get around 1000 cals a day into me.........

Well, today my husband came home with some peanuts. Nuts are something I haven't added to my diet yet so I went to fitday to check them out! Lo and behold they are super high in calories and although the carb count is pretty high so is the fibre count!!!!!

Sooooo, can anyone tell me if there is any cautions I should know about or is this a good way to up my cals and get some protein and fibre in my diet ???

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 17:46
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00
BF:none
Progress: 11%
Wink

Peanuts are not allowed on the induction phase...although I wish they were... But the are of the Legume family. You can add them back after induction
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 18:04
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I would be cautious, since it's really easy to overdo them. Have you tried macadamia nuts? They're a bit lower in carbs, as are almonds.

A good, fatty, calorie-laden thing I love (it may sound nasty to some...) Is cream cheese and butter with a packet of Splenda, even a few drops of vanilla. Mixed together, it resembles cream cheese frosting in flavor, and is almost PURE fat and calories. If sweet tastes aren't a problem for you, I think it'd do the trick.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 18:06

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

I have had a horrible time getting up my calories too so I feel your pain. I have gone from about 1000 a day to 1800 calories pretty much overnight once I found out I was pregnant I had to majorly jack up my carbs too so now I am having 70 -90 carbs a day. I have used nuts quite a bit to help get numbers up and for me they haven't caused one bit of trouble. You can always try them and if they do cause you problems cut down and find the amount that suits you. Some of the ways I use them are
Salads (sunflower seeds are wonderful at replacing that old familiar crunch of croutons), Sauteed asparagus in butter with toasted walnuts and a queeze of lemon are awesome! Ricotta cheese mixed with a little splenda and vanilla and topped with fresh raspberries and chopped pecans or walnuts is delicious. Almonds are plain old wonderful no matter what way you use them. I am particularly fond of the smoked walnuts myself. Almond butter on LC toast if you use that is also a great way to get in some extra calories and fiber. I do used peanut butter occasionally but its usually my last choice when it comes to the fatty nuts. Having a nice cup of tea with some heavy cream is also another painless way to get up those calories and it won't effect your carbs.
Anyways I wish you the best of luck getting up those calories! Also take into consideration that my suggestions aside from the tea are all post induction suggestions.

Jenn
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 18:27

thanks everyone!!! I am so excited now...hopefully higher cals will help with the weight loss! I am not in induction anymore...been on Atkins 5 months and have lost 50 lbs but have been in a bit of a stall......

will try the suggestions Elsah, glad to know I am not the only one with such a crazy problem!! I NEVER thought I would have trouble EATING!!!!!!

potatofree, thanks for mentioning cream cheese, I am not big on sweets and they are definately not a problem for me but I think I am going to make myself a LC cheesecake. I made one at Xmas and liked it and it would be a nice high cal treat! I haven't been able to find macadamia nuts anywhere around where I live!!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 19:07

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsah
I am particularly fond of the smoked walnuts myself.

Jenn

I meant to say smoked almonds, sorry.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 19:26

Stats: 245/195/170 Male 5 10
BF:
Progress: 67%

Be sure to read the ingredients carefully. The common dry roasted peanuts in the store are riddled with sugar additives.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 19:30
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I recently rediscovered the humble peanut, too. I used to only like them surrounded by a chocolate bar. I like them, but not enough for them to be a binge problem for me.

They make a great staple for my SO and I because he's a non-LCing vegetarian. They're certainly a better snack than cheese doodles.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 19:34
Registered Member

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 242/178/160 Female 5'6
BF:??
Progress: 78%

I use the smoked almonds from Walmart and also they carry a 2 lb. bag of pistachios that only costs $2.99. They are great too!! Sometimes I eat some for one of my 5 meals when I am not very hungry.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 20:43
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Eating nuts was one of the things associated with longevity, btw. Another reason why a low carb diet is healthy!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 22:17

Gee Nancy, So I can be old, healthy and skinny,

what more could I ask for

Pass the nuts!!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 08:06

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 170/156/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 35%

I eat 1/4 of a cup of peanuts several times a week for breakfast. They taste great and are very filling.