Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-19-02, 06:01

Plan: Atkins (again)
Stats: 160/158/137
BF:
Progress: 9%
Thumbs down Beer

This is the worst...

i've gained back (in about 3 weeks) all the weight (except two pounds) that i had lost previously...i was down to 144 and now am back up to 158.

and, my marriage is in trouble, my health is suffering....and
the reason i gained all this weight is because i've been drinking beeeerrr.
oh, yeah, that and i've gone off my diet completely.!

how self-destructive!

I'm VERY upset with myself...but...thank God I have a shrink (catherine, God bless her.)...and I am going out to talk to her today.

i thin i am on the brink of a divorce.

ce'la vie (no french spoke here, i'm afraid.)

back to 12 step meetings i go...
tail between my legs.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-19-02, 10:07

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 20/08/00 Female 5'10"
BF:not/low/enough
Progress: 60%

I am sorry you are having tough times. I also know how overwhelming things can be when they happen at the same time and look at them as one..."the problem," as opposed to keeping them separate. If drinking is the cause of all the other problems, it sounds like that is the first thing to take care of. Diet will fall back in line after that.

I am glad you have Catherine to talk all this through with.

My counselor always told me to break off one aspect of my troubles... relationship, work, personal, diet, etc. and work on only that. It offered me focus. It also gave me a little self esteem boost when that part of "the problem" was solved and it made overwhelmingness of "the problem" deminish because it wasn't as big now.

Now when I feel overwhelmed in any situation I immediately start breaking it apart to see what I can do, fix, organize, change, clean, face to lessen the stress.

Hang in there...and take care of you!!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 03:29
Registered Member

Plan: adkins
Stats: 240/205/145
BF:
Progress: 37%
Default I have the beer problem too

But the one thing that has really helped me with it is wanting so badly to stay in ketosis. I know if I drink that it will knock me out of ketosis. And I want to lose the weight more then I want that Bud Light right now. Sure I've played around with it once or twice even tried the new "ultra" beer out now with 2.6 carbs. Before Adkins I was drinking 6-12 beers every evening to "relax." I wish you the best of luck on your new path my friend.

Shirley
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 23:48

Plan: modified Atkins & SS
Stats: 156/142/130
BF:
Progress: 54%
Wink beer/alcohol

The alcohol & caffeine restriction is what kept me from trying the Atkins diet. But then I read some other forums, and realized that low carb diets CAN include both in moderation.

My husband & I like a glass of wine with dinner, and maybe a drink or 2 at "happy hour"(unwinding after work) a few times a week. We're not alcoholics by any means, but this is something we did not want to give up for a diet, because it impacts our social
life as well.

We checked it out, and and as long as we drink dry (not sweet) wine, and do not use fruit juices or tonics in drinks, the carb count is low or zero. But, as one post said, if your body is taking the time out to burn off alcohol, it's taking away from burning fat.

Well, we've been on it 10 days now. My husband has lost 9 lbs., and as of 2 days ago (I don't weigh myself until every 3rd day) I've lost 7lbs. We've stuck to the Atkins induction diet, except for a cup or 2 of coffee (using real cream), and have continued to "imbibe" the same amount of wine, etc. as before. And I use those "Ketostix", and am still running purple (which means I'm burning FAT!)

I know this may be very politically incorrect to post this (about the alcohol thing). But there are a lot of people out there who are avoiding this diet because of the restrictions. I say - read & learn, and figure out how it can work for you. It is sooo worth it! Everyone is different - figure out what works for you & fits into your lifestyle..... because otherwise, you won't end up sticking to it!

Good luck!!!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-03, 13:12
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00
BF:none
Progress: 11%

I have had such a hard time with diets because I do not want to give up my wine. I am an evening drinker a habit I developed after I had my kids. I wouldn't have a glass of wine untill all the work was done for the day and the kiddies were asleep. Then I had my evening reward, 2 glasses of dry red wine. The bad part is that was years ago and now the kids are grown and I'm still doing the same thing. and now I find it almost impossible to give it up.
It keeps me from losing on Atkins, even though this is my WOE, and has been for quite awhile.
Maybe it would make a difference if I drank at dinner instead of before bed. Maybe I would even get my butt into bed earlier...
Have to give it a shot!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 13:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 166/155.5/135
BF:
Progress: 34%
Cool 8 Days w/out Beer & Counting!

ShirleyAnn,
I feel the exact same way. I've always had trouble sticking to the "Just One" beer plan, but now that I'm doing Atkins, I know that even one beer could mess up my ketosis, so I abstain completely. For the first time I can actually imagine myself never drinking beer again (though I am looking forward after induction, when I might indulge in an occassional gin & sugar-free tonic.) Like you, my husband and I would often split a twelve pack (or two) after work to "unwind." We're both enjoying the mornings a lot more now!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 15:27

Plan: atkins
Stats: 123/122/116 Female 5 ft 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default wine

Hi everyone,

I have been on Atkins for about 5-6 weeks and when I started on Induction I was really good and didn't drink wine at all. But now I am back to the same amount I used to drink. Bad me. I can't help it though, I find that after a stressful day it does help me to unwind.

I actually don't have much weight to lose at all, just wanting to eat healthy and well again (after years of abuse to my body) so I am finding that the wine isn't affecting me at this stage. But I know that deep down it is a problem when you want to have a glass just to keep your day in perspective!!

I hope things work out OK for you Culliallen. Always good having someone to talk to like catherine

Take care

Bye

Geri