Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 12:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 299/251/160 Female 5' 11
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default New to Atkins, people claiming it almost killed them, should I worry?

I am new to Atkins, and was wondering if others worry about Atkins having harmful effects on their bodies, now some 53 yr old man claiming it gave him heart disease, others claim high levels on their blood work, should I just ignore these stories and keep on the Atkins?
peace
fg
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 12:38

Plan: Atkins /NHE/CKD
Stats: 289/219/200 Male 5' 8"
BF:41%/20%/18%
Progress: 79%

Most of that is from people who are uneducated and mis-informed.
There is very little correlation between dietary fat intake and blood lipid levels. If you want documentation let me know.
6 months LC Total cholesterol went from 221 to 164.
Triglycerides from 316 to 134.
I just tested yesterday, no results from the DR yet.
Jag
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 13:59
Registered Member

Stats: 200/189/135 Female 5'5"
BF:42%/38.1%/20%
Progress: 17%
Default saw the interview..

in my opinion, the guy was a little odd especially being backed by the animal rights activists for his lawsuit? and the amount was 15,ooo for what? paying his bills?
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 14:32
"Princess" of Norway

Plan: Atkins / Lindberg
Stats: 187/169/143 Female 162 cm
BF:Yes
Progress: 41%

Say no more, say no more !

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkins.com

Atkins Responds to a Frivolous Lawsuit

Read the real story behind a complaint by someone who claims that he developed heart disease as a result of doing Atkins. You should know that this action is being encouraged and funded by the animal rights group PCRM, in yet another attempt to garner publicity for their vegan agenda.

Atkins generally doesn't comment on litigation. But in this case, we must clarify some important issues and pose some serious questions in the interest of setting the record straight. First of all, scientific research suggests that the case has no merit, a possibility raised even in an article on the lawsuit, published in today’s New York Times. Further, PCRM (the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine), which is actually a well-known extremist vegan, animal rights group, and the complainant suggest that the lawsuit is just for publicity. We should not let the real issue, providing people with a scientifically validated nutritional choice in the face of a worldwide obesity and Type 2 diabetes epidemic, be manipulated by this extremist group.

PCRM has a long history of initiating such scare tactics designed to convince the American public to stop eating animal protein of any sort. Furthermore, PCRM has been featuring the complainant, Mr. Gorran, and his various allegations on its Web site for quite a while.

Now, to our questions:

• Why does anyone take PCRM seriously and allow this group, with its animal rights agenda, to divert us all from the real crisis: the obesity and diabetes epidemics in this country?

• Why is PCRM, which despite its name, can reportedly claim less than 5 percent of its membership as actual physicians, even viewed as a legitimate participant in the nutrition debate? Shouldn’t the nutrition discussion be focused on science? In response to requests for scientific back up, for the past three years Atkins has been delivering it, now in the form of 27 research studies which have shown that, on average, within one year of doing low carb the Atkins way, people significantly lower several risk factors for heart disease. (see New Research, New Directions). Faced with science and fact, PCRM has resorted to scare tactics.

• Why isn’t the nutrition debate focusing on the recent comments from Dr. Walter Willett, of Harvard University’s School of Public Health, one of the leading experts on nutrition in the world? After reviewing all the scientific research on low-carb nutrition (all the studies followed Atkins protocols), Dr. Willet said, “We can no longer dismiss very-low-carbohydrate diets.” Similarly, in a recent article published in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology, Dr. Sylvan Weinberg, MACC, called for medical professionals to recognize the validity of low-carbohydrate/high-protein diets like Atkins in the fight against heart disease. Dr. Weinberg asserted that it is no longer reasonable to accept or endorse on faith alone the superiority of the low-fat/high-carbohydrate approach to coronary health.

• Finally, why isn’t the science conducted by Harvard, Duke, the University of Pennsylvania and the American College of Cardiology included in the discussion of nutritional alternatives?

As always, Atkins stands by the science that has repeatedly reaffirmed the safety and health benefits of the Atkins Nutritional ApproachTM. As recently as last week, two new studies published in the Annals of Internal Medicine confirmed the safety and benefits of Atkins as well as demonstrated, even when compared to low-fat diets, that Atkins provides improvements in major cardiovascular risk factors. These findings again show what has been seen consistently in 25 other studies over the past three years.

PCRM and its cronies do a great disservice to the cause of good health in this country by repeatedly manipulating the media to confuse and mislead the American public.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 15:12
Registered Member

Stats: 299/251/160 Female 5' 11
BF:
Progress: 35%

Wow, thank you so much, all of you! I love this place
peace
fg
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 23:02

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

FisherGirl, one thing that struck me when I was thinking about following the Atkins Nutritional Approach is the fact that Dr. Atkins was a cardiologist--prescribed this diet to his heart patients, and it improved their health. He also followed the diet for over 30 years himself. Thirty years, in the latter part of someone's life, would be a long time to live on an unhealthy diet.

There are just those who can't get it through their thick skulls that animals were put here on this earth to be eaten, and that animal fats have been accused and found guilty of a crime they never committed. It's finally coming out now that the real culprit behind what saturated fats has been blamed for is none other than trans-fats (aka partially-hydrogenated and hydrogenated oils).

Now, having laid down that diatribe, I'd also like to say that since following Atkins I feel better than I have in years.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 03:49
Vegas Addict

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 275/275/230 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I have noticed that from day one that everyone I have told that I am "low-carbing" has either had someone they knew who had great success or had been "told" by someone how horrible this "diet" is for you. My own mother when told about it said to me: "Well just be careful." I asked her why she would say that and she had no real response...just to "be careful".
Everyone has an opinion, it doesn't mean it is an informed or fact-based one.
Heh, I was telling a co-worker yesterday(he was evily trying to lure me out for ice cream) that I had been on this WOE for five days and had lost five pounds, when the woman who sat next to me turned around and snapped "well you usually lose a lot at first in any diet!" yikes, did I hit a sore spot?
I wouldn't worry about what others have encountered and see how your own body reacts. I have had benefits far beyond the weight loss that have made me think I would stick to this WOE even if the weight loss stalled/stopped.
Just my $0.02. :-D