Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-02-02, 07:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/191/175
BF:
Progress: 47%
Question Caffiene...

Okay,
I have been on the induction for over two weeks and i'm now starting to lose some weight.... about 6 pounds +- 1. I have been eating primarily eggs, meat, hot chicken wings, chease (not processed) and i have started putting some salad into my diet with okay toppings etc etc...

But i have to admit... I want a gawd damn venti mocha java from starbucks....

But i will settle for my own cappacino machinee.... Tell me how bad it would be if i had this 2-3 times a week....

1 shot espresso.... 4 ounces of skim milk.... and artificial sweatner?
(how bad would 1 te4aspoon of real sugar be?)

This is my only real craving.... i don't crave carbs i crave caffiene...

Any insight would be helpfull thanks..
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-02-02, 09:14

Plan: formerly Atkins
Stats: 350/232/225 Female 5' 8"
BF:mooooo/moo/buff
Progress: 94%

A venti mocha java could ruin everything you have accomplished!So get a quad venti espresso with whipped cream instead You can even put cocoa powder in it (I found some unsweetened kind in the store) Don't use skim milk or any milk, read the label and you'll see why!!! Try heavy cream or light cream instead. And if you like sugar in your coffee, try splenda.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-02-02, 09:57

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Caffiene...

Quote:
Originally posted by trueburn
But i have to admit... I want a gawd damn venti mocha java from starbucks....

But i will settle for my own cappacino machinee.... Tell me how bad it would be if i had this 2-3 times a week....

1 shot espresso.... 4 ounces of skim milk.... and artificial sweatner? (how bad would 1 te4aspoon of real sugar be?)

Then have the gawd damned thing! BUT, use cream instead of milk and splenda instead of sugar.

The caffeine is something that effects some and not others - the biggest issue with it is that it can be dehydrating if drunk to excess (another big issue is that many people coming to LC from low fat drink far too much coffee). I still indulge in a cup or two daily with no ill effects - in fact it's 'legal' on Protein Power (and other LC Plans).

I suggest making your venti mocha java (or getting it from starbucks) but omitting the sweetener at first - you may find you don't need it anymore. Take it from a 4 tsp of sugar per coffee girl.

BTW, you can order any Latte as a "breve" - they make it with half and half instead of milk. (some will use cream if you ask )

Nat
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-02-02, 10:13

BF:
Talking WOAH!!! LET ME SAY THIS OUT LOUD!!!

Are you saying i can actaully go to starbucks and get something that actually tastes like a coffee with no ill consequences????

Hmm.... whipped cream is okay? i was unsure of this... hmmm well i'm open for suggestions on what will froth like milk in my cappacino machine.... i am also new to this Splenda* stuff... any good?

So how should i place my order from Starbucks?......

thanks.... mike
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-02-02, 10:28

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: WOAH!!! LET ME SAY THIS OUT LOUD!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by trueburn
Are you saying i can actaully go to starbucks and get something that actually tastes like a coffee with no ill consequences????

Probberly - especially if you're a guy! (did not know this before)

Whipped cream is OK. It's actually very OK and very yummy. Have you read 'da book', Mike?

Order like this: "A Tall blah blah blah Breve" fill in your preference. If they give you a 'deer in the headlights stare' you say "it's a Latte only it's made with cream" - they usually snap out of it, and someone has usually made it before.

Breves are smooth and very rich - almost a meal in themselves. Think very rich hot chocolate, only an adult version.

Nat
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-02-02, 14:07

BF:

Um i read the book a couple years ago (lost 15 lbs) .... i basically retained 2 things.... meat = good, bread = bad.

I will have to discover this "breve" thing you speak of... but i will also have to investigate the carb count on the actual mocha syrup... it's made from some powder that they sell there...

this diet just got better. i will post the actual count after my inspection of the goods.

and the comment about reading the book.... this is the noob section right? BTW we are talking atkins right? whats the difference with protien power or whatever it is?
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 07:06

BF:
Post Hey darklotus...

What kind of sugar free cocoa did you say that was? ....

I looked at the ingrediants of the actual mocha powder that they use to make the syrup. it has 5 carbs per serving (1 TBLs).... and the main ingrediants were suger and cocoa.

I think i could make my own with the sugar free cocoa and splenda... then just use the cream...

I got a breve this morning but i have a sneeking suspision that they used soy milk... but it tastes like cream to me... well i guess i'll know tommorow when i test the ketosis... Oh and i also got the smart comment "whats a breve?" .... "oh you meen a brev'e"

thanks for the support all.... i just can't live too long w/o my coffee. I know i can't over do it... but it's such a nice treat after work...

mike
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-04-02, 07:20

Plan: My own
Stats: 166/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hi Mike
If you go to the baking section of the grocery store, right by the chocolate chips you will find Hershey's or Nestle's cocoa. I have a tin of Nestles Toll House Cocoa, and the ingredients say : 100% cocoa
Sandy