Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-03, 23:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/148/148 Male 68
BF:23%/15.3%/15%
Progress: 100%
Question Snowpeas???

Ok, I know they exist! I've been eating them since I was a kid, and I buy them fresh at a local supermarket.

However, Fitday has no entry for "snowpeas" or any variant of the name. USDA does NOT list snowpeas. Other nutritional data websites (no doubt all based on USDA) have also been a bust.

Does ANYONE have nutritional info for snowpeas?

It's possible they are simply called something else. For those not knowing what snowpeas are, they are flat pea pods, generally 2-3 inches in length, with little seeds inside (which, presumeably, would have grown into peas given the opportunity ).

The closest I can find description-wise on Fitday is "cowpeas, young pods with seeds", so I've been using that to get the carbs. However, I'm not sure that's accurate, and I really don't want to find out that they are packed with carbs!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-03, 23:58
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

#3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 04:58
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Fitday is great in that it will do searches based on partial words. If you just type in "snow" ... you'll get a list of entries .. (one for snow cone, slurps ), and the rest for either snowpeas or snowpea (pea pod), cooked or raw or whatever. For our friends across the pond, snowpeas = mangetout.

That should save you having to enter as a custom item.

hth,

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 08:38

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

I just typed 'snowpeas' into fitday and it has an entry?
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 16:05

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 165/129/130 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 103%

Thanks for asking, I had been wondering about Fitday not having snowpeas either. Found them now!

Tiffany
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 18:09

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

Just wanted to let you know that I think snowpeas are referred to as snowpeas or sugar snap peas here. Mangetout is a different vegetable
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 22:07
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet
Just wanted to let you know that I think snowpeas are referred to as snowpeas or sugar snap peas here. Mangetout is a different vegetable
Yes, I should've put in a hyphen Mange-tout.

from The Cook's Thesaurus:
Quote:
snow pea = Chinese snow pea = Chinese pea = Chinese pea pod = sugar pea = mange-tout pea = edible-podded pea Equivalents: 2 cups fresh = 6 ounces frozen Notes: You eat these whole, pod and all. They're often stir-fried very briefly (no more than a minute), but they're also good raw. They're easy to prepare, just wash and trim the ends. Some people string them as well, but that's not necessary. Select crisp, flat snow peas that snap when you break them. Substitutes: sugar snaps (rounder, sweeter, and crisper) OR asparagus OR (for stir-fry dishes) bean sprouts

http://www.foodsubs.com/Pods.html#snow peas
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 18:44

Stats: 167.5/122/115 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

It may vary from region to region, but here in NC sugar snap peas are not the same thing as snow peas. Snow peas are a flat pod with little tiny peas inside. Sugar snaps have a fatter pod and full-sized peas, but the pod is also edible.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 20:39

Stats: 165/148/148 Male 68
BF:23%/15.3%/15%

This is really strange... I swear there was no entry for snowpeas yesterday!! I've been eating them every couple days over the past week or so, and have tried checking for them on several occasions by entering different variants of the name... but today they are indeed there. Hmmmm....

Karen -- actually, I did see that entry in the low-carb counter but wasn't sure if "Pea pods, edible" meant snowpeas. I thought it might just refer to eating peas in the pod.

Thanks all.

PS: Turns out they are very similar to the "cowpeas" entry I was using. but with more fibre.

Last edited by Coriolis : Sun, Jul-06-03 at 20:40.