Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 09:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 325/290/190
BF:
Progress: 26%
Question Chromium and Atkins

I have been on the diet for almost two months and I have lost about 25 pounds. Not bad, I think. ANYWAYS, when I first started my very very very low carb diet, probably only ingesting about 5 g of carbs daily for the first month, I noticed that my ketone sticks were more purple than the bottles top picture showed, I mean it was pretty much black.... Now that I am taking Chromium Picolinate, which is supposed to help increase lean mass and help burn fat and use up those extra carbs, when I take the ketone test, I am not as purple as before!!!

My question???

Is Chromium Picolinate ~ 200mcg a day going to help me with my Atkins diet. Or is it going hurt me...

Also.. I thought that Atkins diet puts a block on insulin use, but Chromium Pic. starts it back up.. AAAHHHH I dont understand
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 09:58

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

I hate to tell you this....

Being deep purple on those strips is not the best thing in the world. It normally means you are dehydrated. Most of us long timers barely even turn the strips pink.

Not sure about your other question
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 10:18

BF:
Default Purple Ketone

Deep purple ??? You might be right because I have been drinking a ton of liquids lately and that might be the reason that the stick is so light purple colored... SO I guess you really cant tell with the ketone sticks
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 10:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%

Drinking more water is the most important thing. The stix arent that reliable anyway. I take chromium and what it does is stabilize your blood sugar. I find it helps me. As for the benefits of it for weight loss Im not sure. But it has been known to reduce cravings.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 10:50

BF:

when I drink a lot of water, i feel huge and its like I never urinate enough.....

It gets really depressing when your weigh yourself and then you drink a glass of water and you gain a couple of pounds..

Maybe I am just too paranoid and should let my body lose weight without me whining about it..
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 10:55

BF:

LOL thats ok we often have little WHINE and cheese parties here! Dont force your self to drink until U are bloated. But what is commonly misunderstood by many people is that they think IF I drink a lot of water I will retain it. I was one such person. The opposite is true if U are dehydrated U will retain it. Try drinking 1 8 oz glass every hr for 10 hrs. Then increase it from there is U can.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 10:56

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally posted by shuoga
It gets really depressing when your weigh yourself and then you drink a glass of water and you gain a couple of pounds..

I hate to break more news but! ..

64oz of water equals 4 POUNDS. How many ozs do you drink a day? Water isn't weightless.

If you are going to get on the scale every single day, or several times a day, do yourself a favor.......

Write it down, average it once a week to save your sanity. Otherwise this diet is going to drive you batty.

Your weight can flux as much as 10 pounds a day depending on how much water and food you consume and how many times you went to the bathroom.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 11:02

BF:

I'd stick to Jack & Diet Coke, but I wouldnt be effecient at work..

Or maybe I would ????

Thanks
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 12:16

BF:
Default HAHAHA

No Im betting U wouldnt be efficient at work and besides U wouldnt be buring fat for fuel U would just be burning up the alcohol...lol ummmm maybe really try to sip a bit more water?
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 14:42
Registered Member

Plan: Dr.Atkins
Stats: 167.5/158/120
BF:
Progress: 20%
Lightbulb chromium

Shuoga,
I was doing some research on chromium, and thought you might be interested:http://www.chromiuminfo.org/index2.html
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 14:49

BF:
Default Re: chromium

Quote:
Originally posted by starfish
Shuoga,
I was doing some research on chromium, and thought you might be interested:http://www.chromiuminfo.org/index2.html

Nice very nice... this site is good...

Thanks!!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 00:53
Registered Member

Plan: Dr.Atkins
Stats: 167.5/158/120
BF:
Progress: 20%

you are welcome! Happy low carbing =