Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-05-08, 09:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 307/222/177 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default Aspartame sensitivity?

Both my husband and I have lost weight on Atkins in the past, well before we ever met eachother. Unfortunately we never stuck with or went back to doing low carb once we got together, and we both gained a LOT of weight back.

So here we are again, both of us about 7 years after our initial weight loss. We've decided we've both reached critical mass and that it's time to take care of it. So, here we are starting our SIXTH week and we're both only at about 10 pounds lost.

Now, 10 pounds is great, I realize this, but it should be coming off a lot faster than this. I KNOW that we're sticking to our diets. Like I said, we both lived low carb in the past and did quite well. For an idea of what we eat... I have eggs and bacon for breakfast and send him on his drive with about four slices. For lunch I have plain romaine lettuce with chicken and dressing, or a piece or two of hamburger quiche. For dinner we usually have some sort of meat and a salad or squash and zuchini. We don't snack much, but when we do we might have some cheese or a small handfull of pork rinds. When we eat out (which isn't very often) we're very careful about what we order.

We KNOW what we're doing.

Except this... neither of us gave up caffeine, diet soda or aspartame that last time we had success with this, and we both lost about 70 pounds when we did it. So we're consuming these things to our heart's delight this go-round as well. Is it possible that, over the years, our bodies have built up a sensitivity to the evils of caffeine and aspartame?

I just don't know if I'd be able to get my husband to stick with this if he didn't have access to aspartame-laced sweet things, and I don't know how I'd do without diet coke (it's a habit I need to break, I know)...

Has anyone else found that they've developed sensitivities over the years? Or has anyone always been sensitive? What's life like without aspartame and caffeine?

This is absolutely the only thing that we're doing wrong. I'm certain of it.

Help
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-05-08, 09:25
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Stop using it and see. That's the only way you will know.