Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 08:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 287/225/190 Male 69"
BF:ALL
Progress: 64%
Default Stalls, falling out of ketosis & Ranitidine (Zantac)

A product development engineer (consumer electronics) by trade, I claim no knowledge of anything, but here it goes!

Two and a half months ago when my wife and I started this new WOL, everything was going great. I dropped 20lbs in two weeks, my wife dropped 12. As I continued to drop the pounds, my wife seemed to stall around the 157 mark. What could have caused this?

Well, a few days after we started the new WOL, I noticed that the constant yet very mild heartburn I have had for several years, was gone (along with just about every other major ailment I had) . I suggested to my wife that she try stopping her Zantac stomach medication to see how her heartburn was... It was gone too! Well, everything went well, she dropped 12 pounds, I dropped my 20, then my wife had some overly spicy food, and went back onto the Zantac, continuously. We thought nothing of it, but as I was progressing in my weight loss, my wife began to stall. I would check my ketone levels, and it would always be about as dark purple as you can get, while hers began to show negative. She became very frustrated yet stayed with the WOL because she liked the way it made her feel, and was happy with my weight loss (34lbs to date).

Flash forward to 2 weeks ago... We made some very yummy cheese enchiladas (La Tortilla rules), and I got horrible heartburn. I took some of my wife's Zantac, and it helped. The next morning when I checked my ketones, I was completely negative. This was the first time I had been negative since we started this WOL... What happened I asked myself? I was out of ketosis for 2 days, then it hit me. I bet it was the Zantac! I had never cheated, never had a reason to drop out of ketosis, the only thing that could have done it was the Zantac! I figured I might as well take this opportunity to use my wife as a guinea pig and see if my theory was correct. Well, 4 days ago I asked her to stop taking her Zantac and see what happens. Having hovered around the 157 mark for 1.5 months, she put little faith in my theory, but this morning was the test. She checked her ketone levels, and she was dark purple, first time in 1.5 months! She stepped on the scale for the first time in 5 days, and found that she had dropped 4 pounds!

I'm not trying to say that Zantac can cause a stall, as I only have a little bit of useless data to support my theory, but if you are stalling, and are taking Zantac, this may be something to look into.

Have a nice day!

Last edited by Davididf : Sat, Aug-16-03 at 08:14.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 10:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 287/225/190 Male 69"
BF:ALL
Progress: 64%

Well, just about two weeks, and she is still in ketosis and losing.

My wife is such a LOSER!