Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Was this helpful?
Oh yes thanks Jaybo33! 1 25.00%
A few good ideas here... 1 25.00%
Not really, but somewhat entertaining! 2 50.00%
Na, you're a rookie man! 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 16:37

Plan: Controlled Carb
Stats: 249/202/194 Male 74"
BF:I Kick Ass!
Progress: 85%
Default Runner, Back in Ketosis!

Well I did it, I ran the 26.2 Mile Baltimore Marathon October 18th 2003, in 4+ hours, at a weight of 194, when I weighed 249 at the beginning of 2003! Most of the weight I lost was while low-carbing. I lost a few pounds doing low-calorie at the beginning of the year and later maintained my weight through August and September while eating anything I wanted! That's because I was running 30 to 50 miles a week.
-For those who run, you may want to know that I was unable to eat 20 grams of carbs a day and run more than 18 miles at a time. Glycogen ran out, I hit the infamous wall, and blew out my knee...twice! I reduced my mileage and increased my carb intake and successfully completed my marathon training, missing only a handful of runs due to my knee injury (iliotibial band syndrome).
-After the thon I took a month off of running, enjoyed the holidays and gained 20 pounds back. 11 of that is gone now that I am back in Ketosis and training again, I currently run 5 or 6 times a week, a total of 27 miles/week. This year I plan to run the half-marathon and stay low-carb. It's only 13.1 miles so glycogen should not be an issue; and this way my knee won't suffer either.
-Anyway, here I'd like to share some of the foods I ate liberally/sparingly during my most abundant weightloss phase last year, and so far this year. And foods to avoid, that have made me stall, or prolonged my plateaus. Please add any I haven't included; I'm always looking for new foods to experiment with (carefully!).

---Liberally---
-beef, -beef jerky (plain dehydrated), -potted meat, -seafood, -eggs, -egg salad, -mayonaise, -sardines and fish steaks (in oil, water, or mustard sauce or hot sauce), -tuna (in water or oil), -shelled pumpkin seeds (David brand), -cheese, -lettuce, -water, -seltzer water, -heavy cream, -coffee (black or with cream only, no sweetener), -iced tea (unsweetened), -pork rinds, -pork skins, -pork cracklins, -hot dogs, -chicken wings, -mustard, -hot sauce, -pepper, -spices (read the label!)
---Sparingly---
-nuts (macadamias are best), -whipped cream, -brocolli
---Avoid---
-diet soda (20 oz max of Diet Rite/sucralose soda, per day), -gum, -mints, -low-carb bars (all failed me), -fruit (duh!), -bread (duh!), -sugar (duh!), -ketchup, -all other high-carbohydrate foods not listed here!
---Untested, Plan to try---
-Subway's low-carb Wraps, -Slimfast low-carb Shakes
---Other Info---
-MultiiVitamin daily (I take a generic Centrum), -Calcium (I take plain Tums, 1 gram carb), -16 oz water or seltzer water first thing in the morning, 48 oz more over the day, -drink 1 ounce a day olive oil (it lowers your cholesterol, lubricates your system, and reduces hunger), sounds nasty but isn't bad.
-This is what works for me. I am 40 years old and stay in the 20 to 40 grams/carb/day range, and I have gone weeks at a time living only on the Liberal foods above! I am losing weight at the rate of 3 to 4 pounds a week. When I get the urge to spurge, even a whole can of light whipped cream doesn't hurt my progress! I just keep the Ketostix (Ketone urine test strips) handy and get back in the pink (or maroon!) ASAP. I am a Loser, and proud of it! Come on 13.1 miler, I am going for sub 2 hours!

Last edited by jaybo33 : Sun, Jan-25-04 at 16:49.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 21:39

Plan: Controlled Carb
Stats: 249/202/194 Male 74"
BF:I Kick Ass!
Progress: 85%

#3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 17:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 0%

You are awesome. I am so glad I read your post dear friend! You have inspired me tremendously!