Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-01, 22:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/140/140
BF:
Progress: 100%
Wink martial arts

Hi, I'm new to this site. I've been low carbing for almost one year and I've lost 40 lbs. My goal is approximately 10 to 20 more pounds. I exercise a lot and have for over 7 years now (cardio and weights), but that alone was not enough to keep my weight stable. For me, the best thing about low carbing, is being able to maintain. Before it seemed like if I wasn't losing, then I was gaining. Anyway, the same time I started low carbing, I also started taking tae kwon do lessons and for me it's been a godsend. Not only do I get awesome workouts, but it gets me out of the house (away from the fridge) and it just gives me something else in my life that is more important than food. I was wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences or would like to hear more about what it has done for me. I look forward to reading your feed back.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-01, 13:26

Stats: 140/135/130
BF:
Progress:
Default Something New

I have never taken a Tae Kwon Do class, however my friend is really enjoying Karate and I was kind of interested in that.

What is the difference between the two?

Welcome to the site and congratulations on the weight loss!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-25-01, 10:44
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Jester thanks for responding. I was checking my post everyday and I was starting to think that I wasn't interesting enough. There are a lot of differences between Karate and Taekwon Do. Mainly that Karate is an ancient martial art and TKD is modern, it was developed in the mid 1900's, so it's based more on science. Also, Karate uses mainly upper body hand movements and TKD uses upper and lower, with a lot of kicks. I think all martial arts are good, I just happened to get into TKD. I know everyone isn't interested in this sort of thing, but I wish more people would try it. It's really helped me with my eating. It gives me something else to think about, gets me out of the house 3x a week and I want to be in better shape so that I can do better in my classes, plus it's way more interesting than the treadmill and weights. I hope that gives you some info. Post back if there's anything else you would like to know.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-25-01, 11:04

Plan: Atkins(minus fiber)
Stats: 175/160/140
BF:
Progress: 43%

tkdgrl,
ur post actually inspired me to get a kickboxing tape, which i just received. Ok, it's not exactly martial arts but for now it's close enough i think martial arts is fascinating but always assumed it's something for people to start with while they are still young (5,6,7 yrs old) and too 'late' for an adult to start LOL. Perhaps one day when the opportunity comes i can take a TKD class. My sister (when she was in college) took a Judo class and said it's more about defense than attack.. how to use the opponents weight against himself rather than doing attack moves(kicks).. Anyway ur post was far from being uninteresting

Bye
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-25-01, 18:16
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for your response bluugirl. Kickboxing is a martial sport. I've watched it on tv and it's pretty interesting, but it's more like boxing with kicks, I'd say taekwon do is more like kicking with punches. It's never too late to start a martial art. The other day I read about a woman in Winnipeg, Manitoba, who just got her 2nd degree black belt in Taekwon Do and she was 85 years old. It takes about 7 years to achieve that, so she wasn't very young when she started. I hope you enjoy your tape.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-25-01, 23:52

BF:

tkdgrl, thanks for the clarification. i didn't realize kickboxing was a martial sport! i'm starting slow i guess, i only did about 15mins today (my first day)... i think it'll take me a month(or more) to get good and finish the tape, as long as i'm consistent. i would love to get toned up that's for sure, and this type of exercise is a killer for the buns/thigh area, and abs!.. I'm not in any rush, and i'm glad the video is so challenging, it just means i'll be doing it for a long time till i get it right lol
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-26-01, 10:57
Registered Member

BF:

Hi bluugirl, I don't know how much weight you have lost, but are you finding that you are really flabby? The last time I lost a lot of weight (not on a low carb diet), I toned up pretty good just from losing. This time I'm finding that I'm really flabby. I feel that I've lost weight differently, if that makes any sense. I talked to my doctor and she said I'll probably have to go for a tummy tuck (and an arm tuck, thigh tuck etc...). I wonder if anyone else has noticed this. Maybe it's just because I'm 5 years older now! Talk to you later.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-26-01, 11:37

BF:
Default flabbiness

hi tkdgrl,
i understand what u mean by losing weight differently etc, it's natural since the body is always in flux.. i'm not sure if i am *very* flabby as opposed to just a little flabby... let me put it this way, i have about 15 more lbs to lose (I think). so far i've lost about 20lbs. I've always been athletic, although overweight (if that makes sense) so i don't think i'm very flabby.
Anyway, this morning i'm feeling the muscles hurting in my legs from yesterdays workout although i didn't do much..it was enough to feel them today. I do like that 'sore' feeling though, it feels good. anyway, i don't know why u would want a tummy tuck.. ? and i don't trust doctors either.. perhaps u r trying to achieve the body u had as a teenager? in my case, i'm thinner now than when i was a teen... i honestly do think the body is an amazing work of art.. and that it can adjust itself dramatically with nutrition, exercise and patience, not cosmetic surgery.