Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 10:37
Registered Member

Plan: Whatever is new and exciting...
Stats: 250/224/190 Male 6'2"
BF:25
Progress: 43%
Default Fluctuation

How much do people tend to fluctuate from one morning to anyother. I am 3 poudns heavier today than I was Thursday and I am not carb loading. Should I question my 6 pound loss I though I had the first week?

-Stephen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 10:41

Plan: low carb
Stats: 174/110/110 Female 5' 1"
BF:20.8
Progress: 100%

I would not worry about it. It may just be water retention. What plan are you on? Have you found one yet? Your stats look great.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 10:43
Registered Member

Plan: Whatever is new and exciting...
Stats: 250/224/190 Male 6'2"
BF:25
Progress: 43%
Default Thanks

Hi--

I am doing a modified CDk desiged by a trainer at my gym. Designed to loose fat. My loss is not all low carb-- mostly moderation maagment.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 12:16

Plan: Hypoallergenic diet
Stats: 117/112/- Female 64"
BF:
Progress:

I agree with Fat, Stephen. Don't listen to the scale. Weight depends on a lot of stuff.

I tend to compensate in my head for various factors (have I had water before weighing, have I had a bm, am I wearing more clothing than usual, etc.), which can make my scale weight change as much as 4 lb. from one day to the next. The actual change is never more than about 1 lb., or even half a lb.

Just remind yourself that it's impossible within the normal boundaries of eating and exercise to put on (or take off, for that matter) a pound of fat in a day, or even two days. It just doesn't happen.

It's probably mostly water and food weight. That doesn't count!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 13:06

Plan: TKD
Stats: 238/208/200 Male 6 feet
BF:16, 7.5, 4
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpf2000
How much do people tend to fluctuate from one morning to anyother. I am 3 poudns heavier today than I was Thursday and I am not carb loading. Should I question my 6 pound loss I though I had the first week?

-Stephen

Walk over to the trash can, open it, and drop your scale in there

The best way to see progress is to rely on body fat measurements and/or how your clothes feel. The scale will only confuse you and frustrate you.......

An example is according to the scale I "gained" 8 pounds during my carb load. Now to gain that much REAL weight during 24 hours is impossible........its all water weight gain which I will use up PLUS some during the coming week.

Also since you are new to lifting weights you will gain muscle AND lose fat so you might actually gain scale weight but lose body fat.

Id suggest at most weighing in once a week and under the same conditions, the best way for me is right when I wake up on the same day and after Ive "evacuated". If possible you might want to have your trainer do your body fat and measurements once a week, once every 2 weeks, or once a month. I have mine done every Friday before my carb up.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 10:33

BF:
Progress:

"Evacuated." Oh, that's rich, KC! I sat here looking for something euphemistic enough, and couldn't find it.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 10:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alopex
"Evacuated." Oh, that's rich, KC! I sat here looking for something euphemistic enough, and couldn't find it.

Arent I fun?

I wish I could take credit for it but I stole it from some diet book I read in the past......plus it was in Austin Powers so I couldnt resist using it!

How goes your low carb week so far? Getting excited for Friday night yet ?
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 11:05

BF:
Progress:

Yes you are fun, KC.

Heh, CKD seems to make everything suck a little bit. I mean, during the week I eat yummy fat and protein, but I look at all the beautiful high-carb foods and salivate. During the weekend, the carbs just don't taste as good as I remember and I look at the low-carb foods and salivate. This CKD thing is EVIL.

So, right now I'm looking forward to Friday (you know, the apple actually was good), and thanks to LC I'm not hungry. I may end up eating 12x instead of 13x after all.

Enjoying your low-carb week so far?
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 11:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alopex
Yes you are fun, KC.

Heh, CKD seems to make everything suck a little bit. I mean, during the week I eat yummy fat and protein, but I look at all the beautiful high-carb foods and salivate. During the weekend, the carbs just don't taste as good as I remember and I look at the low-carb foods and salivate. This CKD thing is EVIL.

So, right now I'm looking forward to Friday (you know, the apple actually was good), and thanks to LC I'm not hungry. I may end up eating 12x instead of 13x after all.

Enjoying your low-carb week so far?

So far, so good. Im trying to REALLY cut calories this week in order to mix up my metabolism a bit. Ive found alternating calorie levels day by day really keeps my body guessing but this week so far I have been quite hungry! Ill hang in there though..........according to my new plan I should be carb loading starting Thursday so its coming up VERY fast.

I hear ya on the back and forth feeling, Im always wanting to be in the part of the diet that I am not I must admit though being able to pig out once a week is a huge motivator and every week its like starting a diet again when your motivation is strongest.

I also agree on the fruit being the best part, I had strawberries, some apple, and some pineapple last week..........yum!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 12:35

Plan: Atkins/CKD
Stats: 123/123/123 Female 64 inches
BF:16 or lower
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Pike
Walk over to the trash can, open it, and drop your scale in there

Also since you are new to lifting weights you will gain muscle AND lose fat so you might actually gain scale weight but lose body fat.

Oh yeah, throw that sucker away!!
KC is so right though. I have actually gained 5lbs of lbm (this was over a few months) and my clothes feel better and my waist is smaller, but the scale says I'm heavier now. But I could care less because my clothes feel better and I know it's not fat that I gained.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 15:34

Plan: low carb
Stats: 174/110/110 Female 5' 1"
BF:20.8
Progress: 100%

I agree with the extra weight thing. It finally happened to little ol me the other day. Gained 8 lbs in a couple of days, and never cheated either. Lost in all but one lb in a couple of days. During my weight gain my measurements were the same as before, so that is when I felt much better about it.
Anna