Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-31-04, 13:49

Plan: atkins ish
Stats: 150/147/120 Female 5'3
BF:NoMore Preggers!
Progress: 10%
Wink Fresh fish Vs. frozen fish

I was wondering if anyone has gotten frozen fish that you can buy in bulk. I tend to buy fresh fish but don't have that much time to run to the store-genrally someone is yelling or crying or throwing things out the window!
So we are moving and we will have a HUGE freezer down in the basment and I could buy frozen fish at Sams, but if it doesn't taste good I would rather not waste my money-Thanks!

Also has anyone frozen fresh fish before? wow that was a lot of F's
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-31-04, 14:07

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

I buy frozen fish and fresh fish, then I freeze that. I love the stuffed fillet of soul, when I defrost it, it's fine.

Vikki
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-31-04, 17:05

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

At Super Walmart you can ask them to bring whatever fish you see in 'fresh' case from the back in the frozen form (usually individually sealed in plastic). I do that quite often since I just stick it in my freezer when I get home anyway. Chances are any 'fresh' fish you have bought has just been thawed out for you when they set it out in the case to sell.

Jenn
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-01-04, 05:08

Plan: ex-atkins
Stats: 175/105/115 Female 5 ft 0
BF:
Progress: 117%

Yes, unless you live by the sea any 'freash fish' you buy is likely to have been frozen and thawed. This doesn't really effect the fish detrimentally. However, refreezing any foods once they have been frozen and thawed is dangerous. So always ask if the freash fish you are buying has been frozen before.

Fish that hasn't been frozen is okay to freeze at home, but be sure to wrap it properly so it doesn't get freezer burn. Freezer burn on white fish is easy to identify as the meat turns brown - just chop it of. On red fish is harder.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-04, 19:03

Plan: South Beach-esque
Stats: 194/159/140 Female 5'3"
BF:34% / 28% / 20%
Progress: 65%

Heard a NY Times food critic on NPR radio recently discussing how (properly) frozen fish bought at a good grocery store actually tend to be fresher than the fresh fish we might buy at the same store.. basically many kinds of fish get frozen immediately, on the boat, in excellent sub-zero conditions, and ends up better when thawed and cooked than does fresh fish that's shipped over however long it takes in a chilled state to get it to the grocery store. I haven't delved much into frozen fish to verify this (and I'm sure the quality/brand of the fish makes a difference) but thought it was interesting.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-04, 01:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229/229/180 Female 73"
BF:Mostly
Progress: 0%

Do you have a Costco nearby? Not only is their fresh salmon good, but so is the frozen. Comes in individually wrapped portions, and one is more than enough for me. Can't remember which white fish comes frozen there, because I always get salmon, love the stuff.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-04, 09:27

Plan: Glucose Revolution
Stats: 325/297/175 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 19%

Trader Joes has excellant frozen fish. I buy their Salmon and Haddock Fillets all the time.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-04, 18:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 236/202.5/159 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 44%

I buy big bags of frozen sole at Costco. You toss it in the frying pan and it's ready incredibly quickly and so far I've found it tastes excellent! I grate a small amount of cheddar and a little salt and pepper over it and in less than 10 minutes I have an excellent healthy meal.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 07:13

Plan: South Beach(Phase III)
Stats: 235/187/190 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 107%

We don't eat a lot of fish...but...what we do buy comes in big bags from Sams...especially halibut and crab legs.