Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 16:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/225/200 Male 6"2
BF:
Progress:
Default First Day on Low Carb and have questions!!

Here is what i eat/plan on eating today. Is this ok?

Breakfast

Scrambled Eggs with natural Cheddar Cheese

Lunch

Two chicken breasts with celery

Dinner

1/3 pound hamburger with cheddar cheese

How does this look? Is there any gum that i could find in grocery stores that I could chew..I need to fend off my appetite!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 16:13
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Where are your veggies? A little celery is not 2 cups of salad greens plus 1 cup of another. You need the veggies for nutrients.

The appatite will go down. If you are hungry, then have an LC snack. If it's just cravings, try a large glass of water. Gum may slow down your water intake, or trigger cravings. You can try a sugar free one, just be sure to eat enough calories and drink all your water.

Are you sticking to the allwoed amount of cheese? nWhat can really help, at least until you get a feel for foods, is to get an account at www.fitday.com that way you can be sure that not only are your carbs low, but that you are getting enough calories and protien. Also that you have a high fat ratio since Atkins is a high fat diet.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 16:59

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

You need some fat with your lunch. That's the pain of chicken strips; they're so lean that if you only have veggies with them, you'll need to have a sauce or something.

And as Dr. Atkins said, if you're hungry, EAT!!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 17:30
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

How about having some snacks? I can't remember if nuts are allowed on induction or not, but if I were you'd I'd have 'em!

Also, don't forget yummy veggies like salad (full fat dressing, yay!), broccoli (maybe with some cheese sauce or butter and lemon juice?), cauliflower, zucchini, artichoke, asparagus.

My suggestion is plan and have snacks around for if you get hungry.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Tue, Feb-17-04 at 17:44.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 06:56

Plan: aitkins
Stats: 198/198/143 Female 155cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

I have the same advice, if you are hungry eat, even if you aren't hungry you need to eat to keep the fat burning up.

I try to have more than 3 meals a day.

I usually have 3 eggs for breakfast.

For lunch a salad with chicken or tuna

Afternoon I have something either sweet or savoury, today I had some macadamias - hot from the nut shop (yum) and can of diet pepsi (could only drink half)

For dinner chicken or steak with either cooked vegies or salad

after dinner I either have a dessert or something savoury, cheese, bacon rinds

I also try to add some extra virgin olive oil for an extra fat boost. Found it tastes bad on my eggs so have found if I put probably around a tablespoon into a 1/3 cup measure and fill it up with water, then gulp it down. I then follow it up with a huge glass of water.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 11:02

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 370/170/170 Male 6'1
BF:10%
Progress: 100%

a good way to get some fat in with the chicken breasts is to cover them with bacon and cheese, thats what i do and they taste delicious!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 16:03

Stats: 215/161.5/135 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%

My advice is to read the book of whatever low carb program you plan to follow! Just 'winging it' isnt a good idea!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 16:29
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 169/132/140 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 128%

If you keep eating a menu like that you will get bored VERY quickly.
You can really mix things up during induction and starting here is a good place !
Why not try an omlet for breakfast ? Throw a little chicken and cheese in (maybe 2oz) and some veggies like onions or peppers.

I stuff my chicken with cooked bacon pieces and a very small amount of cheese. I then place a pat of butter on top and bake it with Ms.Dash seasoning or pepper. You will find as you go that you will get full faster and you will not need 2 breasts. Maybe switch to chicken with the skin on ...

Dinner looks good but maybe throw some more veggies on the burger. With mayo, mustard, tomato and lettuce leaf you can make yourself a burger wrap.

Veggies get hard to keep up but if you find ways to "sneak" them in you will meet your daily requirement.
Don't forget to take supplements and drink plenty of water.
When you get creative you will find this way of eating less difficult and you will know what carbs you can and can not have. Having fun with cooking helps.
Good luck !
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 18:44

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

Basically you seem to be off to a great start. I would up the veggies and add FAT. You might try deviled eggs, adding mayo to tuna, adding butter to veggies, etc. The fat will fill you up and help keep the cravings at bay. Congratulations for getting started! Orchid